Old 09-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Klistvud

Default Can't locate ndiswrapper module!

Dne, 16. 09. 2010 10:57:43 je Bruce Ward napisal(a):

Problem: I cannot find "pre-compiled modules" anywhere on the Debian
site. Do they exist, or are they just a myth?

Bruce

[code]
aptitude search ndiswrapper
[edoc]

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Please reply to the list, not to me.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 16/09/10 18:57, Bruce Ward wrote:
> I get this message:
> FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
>
> Further investigation leads me to the web page for the Debian package
> ndiswrapper-source (1.53-2). On that page is found:
>
> 'This package provides the source code for the ndiswrapper kernel
> module. If you use a standard distribution kernel, you mostly will not
> need this, but use the pre-compiled modules instead.'
>
> This looks good (Note this is a "toy" laptop - 48MB RAM - running
> Lenny with a PCMCIA wireless card with a Marvell chip) if I can avoid
> having to download source and compile.
>
> Problem: I cannot find "pre-compiled modules" anywhere on the Debian
> site. Do they exist, or are they just a myth?
>
> Bruce

I've looked (with bleary eyes) but can't see where you say "which"
Debian you're running :-)
I suspect you want a module suit your undescribed kernel and can't find
a ready built one in the Debian repositories for it - because there
isn't one.
http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=names&suite=all&section=all&keywor ds=ndiswrapper
(notice they're all source).
This explains why http://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper
Maybe you could try hunting for a .deb from a "non-pure" Debian - at
worst you'll get to keep the pieces ;-p

Cheers

Old 09-16-2010, 01:53 PM
Brad Rogers

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:11:43 +1000
Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Scott,

> I've looked (with bleary eyes) but can't see where you say "which"
> Debian you're running :-)

I could be wrong, but reference to ndiswrapper 1.53* implies it's Lenny.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 09-16-2010, 02:42 PM
Scott Ferguson

On 16/09/10 23:53, Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 23:11:43 +1000
> Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Scott,
>
>> I've looked (with bleary eyes) but can't see where you say "which"
>> Debian you're running :-)
> I could be wrong, but reference to ndiswrapper 1.53* implies it's Lenny.

Are you implying I should assume something? ;-p

Not that it actually matters which version he's running - ndis is
architecture dependant (amd64 or i386 only).
I assume you know that? :-D

Cheers

Old 09-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Geoff Simmons

Hi Bruce,

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 08:57:43PM +1200, Bruce Ward wrote:
> I get this message:
> FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

On Lenny, you would usually want to build this dependent kernel module
using module-assistant, which automates installation of prerequisite
packages, the process of compiling module source and binary module
installation. See [1].

> I cannot find "pre-compiled modules" anywhere on the Debian site. Do
> they exist, or are they just a myth?

Pre-compiled NDISwrapper modules were last available for Debian 3.1
("Sarge") via the ndiswrapper-modules-i386 source package, removed to
resolve Debian bug #418929.

Efforts were made for inclusion of module packages built from
linux-modules-extra-2.6 (BTS #385553, #400752), which itself was
eventually removed (#552369) in favour of DKMS or other out-of-tree
build method.

The inaccuracy of pre-compiled module availability within
ndiswrapper-source's package description (added in version 1.53-1) was
corrected at ndiswrapper version 1.55-1.

Geoff

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper#Lenny

Old 09-16-2010, 06:44 PM
Brad Rogers

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 00:42:46 +1000
Scott Ferguson <prettyfly.productions@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Scott,

> Are you implying I should assume something? ;-p

No, merely inferring. ;-)

OTOH, some people say - "Never assume: It makes an ass of u and me"

> Not that it actually matters which version he's running - ndis is
{snip}
> I assume you know that? :-D

Very droll. :-)

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"
Is she really going out with him?
New Rose - The Damned

Old 09-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Angus Hedger

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 20:57:43 +1200
Bruce Ward <bmward@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
<snip>
>(Note this is a "toy" laptop - 48MB RAM - running
> Lenny with a PCMCIA wireless card with a Marvell chip)
<snip>
> Bruce

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Chris Bannister

[CCing Bruce as he might not be subscribed due to no answer from him in
this thread]

On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 08:57:43PM +1200, Bruce Ward wrote:
> I get this message:
> FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
>
> Further investigation leads me to the web page for the Debian
> package ndiswrapper-source (1.53-2). On that page is found:
>
> 'This package provides the source code for the ndiswrapper kernel
> module. If you use a standard distribution kernel, you mostly will
> not need this, but use the pre-compiled modules instead.'
>
> This looks good (Note this is a "toy" laptop - 48MB RAM - running
> Lenny with a PCMCIA wireless card with a Marvell chip) if I can

According to: http://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper#Lenny
<!> 16-bit PC Card (PCMCIA) devices are not supported. Cardbus devices are supported.

-- Napoleon Bonaparte

Old 09-18-2010, 11:35 PM
Bruce Ward

Thanks for all the replies.

Yes, I'm running Lenny with standard Debian kernel 2.6.26-2-486, and in
doing so was hoping to avoid having to compile ndiswrapper. However, I
have now done so. (It was not fast!)

Chris Bannister's comment about PCcard v. Cardbus may be an issue - the
card is Cardbus, the laptop recognises the card with lspci, but I don't
yet know if the laptop is fully Cardbus compatible.

If I read Geoff Simmons correctly, the pre-compiled modules do not exist
any more. My reference was to 'stable' distribution package of
ndiswrapper-source on Debian website which suggests that the modules do
exist. Seems as though that page needs updating to remove the reference.
I note that the corresponding page for Squeeze has no reference to
pre-compiled modules.

Thanks again. I still have some work to do to see if I can get this card
working.

Bruce