-   -   Proposed Fluxbox style for Debian (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/427751-proposed-fluxbox-style-debian.html)

Dale 09-16-2010 09:05 AM

Proposed Fluxbox style for Debian

Hi All,

I have been working on a new Fluxbox style[1] for Debian and hopefully
come the default theme for a release like squeeze, or the next the
next Debian release.

Comments and/or suggestions more than welcome

Regards
Dale

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Debian_LibStick
--
[WWW] http://quail.southernvaleslug.org/
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level

Angus Hedger 09-16-2010 10:07 AM

Proposed Fluxbox style for Debian

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 18:35:14 +0930
Dale <quail.linux@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have been working on a new Fluxbox style[1] for Debian and hopefully
> come the default theme for a release like squeeze, or the next the
> next Debian release.
>
> Comments and/or suggestions more than welcome
>
> Regards
> Dale
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Debian_LibStick

Slightly OT: I like the look of some of the bits you have in your
conky set-up in that screenshot, any chance of getting a copy? ;)

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Phil Requirements 09-16-2010 08:47 PM

On 2010-09-16 18:35:14 +0930, Dale wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been working on a new Fluxbox style[1] for Debian and hopefully
> come the default theme for a release like squeeze, or the next the
> next Debian release.
>
> Comments and/or suggestions more than welcome
>
> Regards
> Dale
>
> [1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Debian_LibStick

Dale,

I like it overall. I like the colors, especially the blue color and
the blue outlining. I like the dark colors also.

One thing that catches my eye is the fades. The window titles have a
fade from the center out, which I like. But then the menu highlighting
has a fade from left to right. To my eye, these two different kinds of
fades seem to compete with each other. One possible change would be to
make the menu highlighting not use a fade, or have the same fade as
the title bar. And maybe vary the color of the highlighting vis-a-vis
the title bar?

That's my only suggestion!

Phil

Donald MacKinnon 09-16-2010 09:27 PM

Dale wrote:

Hi All,

I have been working on a new Fluxbox style[1] for Debian and hopefully
come the default theme for a release like squeeze, or the next the
next Debian release.

Comments and/or suggestions more than welcome

Regards
Dale

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Debian_LibStick

Hello Dale,
I for one am not keen on black on a darkish blue. There is too little
contrast between the two. This is especially true if the writing is
small. A lighter shade of blue would improve the legibility. Otherwise
it looks good.

Regards, Donald

Archive: 4C928BBB.50105@btinternet.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C928BBB.50105@btinternet.com

Doug 09-17-2010 02:01 AM

[...]

I wasn't going to comment on this--it's a personal preference, after
all--but if I had to live with that screen I'd go screaming back to

Windows and never look back!
--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley

Archive: 4C92CBFF.7010408@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C92CBFF.7010408@optonline.net

Nuno Magalh„es 09-17-2010 02:38 AM

Proposed Fluxbox style for Debian

Too dark for me.

Dale 09-17-2010 04:31 AM

Proposed Fluxbox style for Debian

Hi All,

I have done some fixing and theses are the fixes I have done,

* Fixed the fade on the menu
* Adjusted toolbar, window title bar, menu bar heights from 14 to 18
* Adjusted font sizes to suit.

I have also added and overlay example to the wiki page[1] of some
overrides to the theme, and updated the screenshots.

godo 09-17-2010 02:08 PM

Proposed Fluxbox style for Debian

I have done some fixing and theses are the fixes I have done,

* Fixed the fade on the menu
* Adjusted toolbar, window title bar, menu bar heights from 14 to 18
* Adjusted font sizes to suit.

I have also added and overlay example to the wiki page[1] of some
overrides to the theme, and updated the screenshots.

Comments and/or suggestions more than welcome

Regards
Dale

Hi,
it looks good, personally I will change fonts in gray (#999999 or
#666666) but this is personal and somebody else can have other opinion.
That is something that everybody can change easily.

And I really like Debian logo inside this lines.

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

Archive: 4C937660.1020606@dobosevic.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C937660.1020606@dobosevic.com

Daniel Barclay 09-17-2010 03:24 PM

Donald MacKinnon wrote:

Dale wrote:

I have been working on a new Fluxbox style[1] ...

Comments and/or suggestions more than welcome
[1] http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Debian_LibStick

Hello Dale,
I for one am not keen on black on a darkish blue. There is too little
contrast between the two. This is especially true if the writing is
small. A lighter shade of blue would improve the legibility.

It's not just you--human vision has lower spatial resolution for blue,
than it does for green or red, so it's harder to see things, especially
small things (e.g., features of letters in text), in colors that differ
only in how much blue they contain (e.g., blue vs. black, white vs.
yellow). Bigger visual elements can work with lower contrast or with
contrast just in the blue component. Smaller visual elements usually
need higher contrast.

Daniel

Archive: 4C938833.1070601@fgm.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C938833.1070601@fgm.com

Dale 09-18-2010 01:01 PM

Proposed Fluxbox style for Debian

Hi All,

I have done some more work and now have 2 styles going so people can
choose either the light or the dark. All can be found on the wiki[1]
at the the usual place.