FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-15-2010, 09:38 PM
michael
 
Default HP LaserJet 5L - cannot print postscript from cmd line

Folks, I've tried and tried but have failed to get my HP LaserJet 5L,
connected by parallel port, to print postscript from the command line.
It will print a page from say iceweasel but just isn't having
lpr test.ps
do the expected thing - rather it prints out the postscript file line by
line by line.

This is under Debian Lenny (amd64) on a new build on my SATA HDD. Irony
is I did have it working on Lenny (amd64) previously with my old IDE
HDD. I've compared the two but can't see what differs.

I'm not quite sure what info is best to send, but hopefully the below
will help. All help appreciated. Thanks, Michael

Script started on Wed 15 Sep 2010 22:36:40 BST
]0;mkb@amd64: ~mkb@amd64:~$ lpoptions
media=A4 sides=one-sided finishings=3 copies=1 job-hold-until=no-hold
job-priority=50 number-up=1 auth-info-required=none job-sheets=none,none
printer-info printer-is-accepting-jobs=1 printer-is-shared=1
printer-location printer-make-and-model='HP LaserJet 5l Foomatic/hpijs,
hpijs 2.8.6b' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1284585794
printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=135196
]0;mkb@amd64: ~mkb@amd64:~$ file /etc/printcap
/etc/printcap: symbolic link to `/var/run/cups/printcap'
]0;mkb@amd64: ~mkb@amd64:~$ cat /var/run/cups/printcap
# This file was automatically generated by cupsd(8) from the
# /etc/cups/printers.conf file. All changes to this file
# will be lost.
lp|laserjet|:rm=amd64.lan:rp=laserjet:
]0;mkb@amd64: ~mkb@amd64:~$ exit

Script done on Wed 15 Sep 2010 22:37:07 BST



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1284586682.3448.4.camel@amd64.lan">http://lists.debian.org/1284586682.3448.4.camel@amd64.lan
 
Old 09-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Phil Requirements
 
Default HP LaserJet 5L - cannot print postscript from cmd line

On 2010-09-15 22:38:02 +0100, michael wrote:
> Folks, I've tried and tried but have failed to get my HP LaserJet 5L,
> connected by parallel port, to print postscript from the command line.
> It will print a page from say iceweasel but just isn't having
> lpr test.ps
> do the expected thing - rather it prints out the postscript file line by
> line by line.
>
> This is under Debian Lenny (amd64) on a new build on my SATA HDD. Irony
> is I did have it working on Lenny (amd64) previously with my old IDE
> HDD. I've compared the two but can't see what differs.
>
> I'm not quite sure what info is best to send, but hopefully the below
> will help. All help appreciated. Thanks, Michael
>

I do not know super-much about this issue, but I have one small
idea. Maybe you had some packages installed on your old system that
are not present on your new system?

For example, today I was looking at the package "foomatic-filters".
The description for that package sounds like what you want to do:
convert .ps into code that can be used by your printer.

Just an idea,

Phil


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100915220543.GA12402@kasploosh.net">http://lists.debian.org/20100915220543.GA12402@kasploosh.net
 
Old 09-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Camaleón
 
Default HP LaserJet 5L - cannot print postscript from cmd line

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 22:38:02 +0100, michael wrote:

(...)

> printer-make-and-model='HP LaserJet 5l Foomatic/hpijs, hpijs 2.8.6b'
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Try with another (even generic?) PCL5e driver.

The one recommended/suggested¹ for that printer (btw, one of the best
printers I had the pleasure to work with) is "ljet4":

http://www.openprinting.org/printer/HP/HP-LaserJet_5L

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.09.15.22.15.18@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.09.15.22.15.18@gmail.com
 
Old 09-15-2010, 10:45 PM
michael
 
Default HP LaserJet 5L - cannot print postscript from cmd line

Folks, I've tried and tried but have failed to get my HP LaserJet 5L,
connected by parallel port, to print postscript from the command line.
It will print a page from say iceweasel but just isn't having
lpr test.ps
do the expected thing - rather it prints out the postscript file line by
line by line.

This is under Debian Lenny (amd64) on a new build on my SATA HDD. Irony
is I did have it working on Lenny (amd64) previously with my old IDE
HDD. I've compared the two but can't see what differs.

I'm not quite sure what info is best to send, but hopefully the below
will help. All help appreciated. Thanks, Michael

Script started on Wed 15 Sep 2010 22:36:40 BST
]0;mkb@amd64: ~mkb@amd64:~$ lpoptions
media=A4 sides=one-sided finishings=3 copies=1 job-hold-until=no-hold
job-priority=50 number-up=1 auth-info-required=none job-sheets=none,none
printer-info printer-is-accepting-jobs=1 printer-is-shared=1
printer-location printer-make-and-model='HP LaserJet 5l Foomatic/hpijs,
hpijs 2.8.6b' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1284585794
printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=135196
]0;mkb@amd64: ~mkb@amd64:~$ file /etc/printcap
/etc/printcap: symbolic link to `/var/run/cups/printcap'
]0;mkb@amd64: ~mkb@amd64:~$ cat /var/run/cups/printcap
# This file was automatically generated by cupsd(8) from the
# /etc/cups/printers.conf file. All changes to this file
# will be lost.
lp|laserjet|:rm=amd64.lan:rp=laserjet:
]0;mkb@amd64: ~mkb@amd64:~$ exit

Script done on Wed 15 Sep 2010 22:37:07 BST


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4A248C07-2C52-46A7-A103-E04F31BE98EC@networkingnewsletter.org.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4A248C07-2C52-46A7-A103-E04F31BE98EC@networkingnewsletter.org.uk
 
Old 09-16-2010, 06:57 AM
deloptes
 
Default HP LaserJet 5L - cannot print postscript from cmd line

michael wrote:

> Folks, I've tried and tried but have failed to get my HP LaserJet 5L,
> connected by parallel port, to print postscript from the command line.
> It will print a page from say iceweasel but just isn't having
> lpr test.ps
> do the expected thing - rather it prints out the postscript file line by
> line by line.
>
> This is under Debian Lenny (amd64) on a new build on my SATA HDD. Irony
> is I did have it working on Lenny (amd64) previously with my old IDE
> HDD. I've compared the two but can't see what differs.
>
> I'm not quite sure what info is best to send, but hopefully the below
> will help. All help appreciated. Thanks, Michael

I'm using the same printer model in debian. Are you trying to print from
local or from a remote desktop. You mentioned parallel port, so may be
local.
My printer is actually connected via ussb-parallel, but it doesn't matter.
I also used lenny until few weeks ago and yes the driver used was the
foomatic ljet4 (as I remember well).

You don't need anything in the printcap except the defaults that are put
there by cups
You better look to configure cups right.

The other thing is that I have installed cups-lpd or lpr I don't remember.

what does lpstat -a says?

>
> Script started on Wed 15 Sep 2010 22:36:40 BST
> ]0;mkb@amd64: ~ mkb@amd64:~$ lpoptions
> media=A4 sides=one-sided finishings=3 copies=1 job-hold-until=no-hold
> job-priority=50 number-up=1 auth-info-required=none job-sheets=none,none
> printer-info printer-is-accepting-jobs=1 printer-is-shared=1
> printer-location printer-make-and-model='HP LaserJet 5l Foomatic/hpijs,
> hpijs 2.8.6b' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1284585794
> printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=135196
> ]0;mkb@amd64: ~ mkb@amd64:~$ file /etc/printcap
> /etc/printcap: symbolic link to `/var/run/cups/printcap'
> ]0;mkb@amd64: ~ mkb@amd64:~$ cat /var/run/cups/printcap
> # This file was automatically generated by cupsd(8) from the
> # /etc/cups/printers.conf file. All changes to this file
> # will be lost.
> lp|laserjet|:rm=amd64.lan:rp=laserjet:
> ]0;mkb@amd64: ~ mkb@amd64:~$ exit
>
> Script done on Wed 15 Sep 2010 22:37:07 BST

on the remote machine with kde3(lenny)
lpoptions
copies=1 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 number-up=1 finishings=3
auth-info-required=none job-sheets=none,none printer-info='HP LaserJet 5L'
printer-is-accepting-jobs=1 printer-is-shared=1 printer-location='Home
Office (*******)' printer-make-and-model='HP LaserJet 5L Foomatic/ljet4
(recommended)' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1282890233
printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=8531972 _kde-filters=true

on the host (kde4/sid)

lpoptions
_kde-filters=true auth-info-required=none copies=1
device-uri=usb://HP/LaserJet%205L finishings=3 job-hold-until=no-hold
job-priority=50 job-sheets=none,none marker-change-time=0 number-up=1
printer-commands=AutoConfigure,Clean,PrintSelfTestPage printer-info='HP
LaserJet 5L' printer-is-accepting-jobs=true printer-is-shared=true
printer-location='Home Office (*******)' printer-make-and-model='HP
LaserJet 5L Foomatic/ljet4 (recommended)' printer-state=3
printer-state-change-time=1282890233 printer-state-reasons=none
printer-type=8531972
printer-uri-supported=ipp://192.168.40.40:631/printers/HP_LJ_5L



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: i6sf4a$v4t$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i6sf4a$v4t$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 AM
michael
 
Default HP LaserJet 5L - cannot print postscript from cmd line

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 08:57 +0200, deloptes wrote:
> michael wrote:
>
> > Folks, I've tried and tried but have failed to get my HP LaserJet 5L,
> > connected by parallel port, to print postscript from the command line.
> > It will print a page from say iceweasel but just isn't having
> > lpr test.ps
> > do the expected thing - rather it prints out the postscript file line by
> > line by line.
> >
> > This is under Debian Lenny (amd64) on a new build on my SATA HDD. Irony
> > is I did have it working on Lenny (amd64) previously with my old IDE
> > HDD. I've compared the two but can't see what differs.
> >
> > I'm not quite sure what info is best to send, but hopefully the below
> > will help. All help appreciated. Thanks, Michael
>
> I'm using the same printer model in debian. Are you trying to print from
> local or from a remote desktop. You mentioned parallel port, so may be
> local.
> My printer is actually connected via ussb-parallel, but it doesn't matter.
> I also used lenny until few weeks ago and yes the driver used was the
> foomatic ljet4 (as I remember well).
>
> You don't need anything in the printcap except the defaults that are put
> there by cups
> You better look to configure cups right.
>
> The other thing is that I have installed cups-lpd or lpr I don't remember.
>
> what does lpstat -a says?
>
> >
> > Script started on Wed 15 Sep 2010 22:36:40 BST
> > ]0;mkb@amd64: ~ mkb@amd64:~$ lpoptions
> > media=A4 sides=one-sided finishings=3 copies=1 job-hold-until=no-hold
> > job-priority=50 number-up=1 auth-info-required=none job-sheets=none,none
> > printer-info printer-is-accepting-jobs=1 printer-is-shared=1
> > printer-location printer-make-and-model='HP LaserJet 5l Foomatic/hpijs,
> > hpijs 2.8.6b' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1284585794
> > printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=135196
> > ]0;mkb@amd64: ~ mkb@amd64:~$ file /etc/printcap
> > /etc/printcap: symbolic link to `/var/run/cups/printcap'
> > ]0;mkb@amd64: ~ mkb@amd64:~$ cat /var/run/cups/printcap
> > # This file was automatically generated by cupsd(8) from the
> > # /etc/cups/printers.conf file. All changes to this file
> > # will be lost.
> > lp|laserjet|:rm=amd64.lan:rp=laserjet:
> > ]0;mkb@amd64: ~ mkb@amd64:~$ exit
> >
> > Script done on Wed 15 Sep 2010 22:37:07 BST
>
> on the remote machine with kde3(lenny)
> lpoptions
> copies=1 job-hold-until=no-hold job-priority=50 number-up=1 finishings=3
> auth-info-required=none job-sheets=none,none printer-info='HP LaserJet 5L'
> printer-is-accepting-jobs=1 printer-is-shared=1 printer-location='Home
> Office (*******)' printer-make-and-model='HP LaserJet 5L Foomatic/ljet4
> (recommended)' printer-state=3 printer-state-change-time=1282890233
> printer-state-reasons=none printer-type=8531972 _kde-filters=true
>
> on the host (kde4/sid)
>
> lpoptions
> _kde-filters=true auth-info-required=none copies=1
> device-uri=usb://HP/LaserJet%205L finishings=3 job-hold-until=no-hold
> job-priority=50 job-sheets=none,none marker-change-time=0 number-up=1
> printer-commands=AutoConfigure,Clean,PrintSelfTestPage printer-info='HP
> LaserJet 5L' printer-is-accepting-jobs=true printer-is-shared=true
> printer-location='Home Office (*******)' printer-make-and-model='HP
> LaserJet 5L Foomatic/ljet4 (recommended)' printer-state=3
> printer-state-change-time=1282890233 printer-state-reasons=none
> printer-type=8531972
> printer-uri-supported=ipp://192.168.40.40:631/printers/HP_LJ_5L


It is local on this machine's parallel port (I've just been in the habit
of lpr rather than lp but will that matter?). My lpstat -a gives
$ lpstat -a
laserjet accepting requests since Wed 15 Sep 2010 22:23:14 BST
and I know it's connected okay (it just prints the p/s file rather than
interprets it)

Is there any file to show re cups config?

One other diff I have between old and new is old=gnome and new is SLIM,
but I can't see what that would matter (although you have
-kde-filters=true so I'm wondering if some filtering is missing?)

Thanks, Michael
http://www.twitter.com/mkbane_mcr


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1284624471.3503.3.camel@amd64.lan">http://lists.debian.org/1284624471.3503.3.camel@amd64.lan
 
Old 09-16-2010, 03:50 PM
deloptes
 
Default HP LaserJet 5L - cannot print postscript from cmd line

michael wrote:

> It is local on this machine's parallel port (I've just been in the habit
> of lpr rather than lp but will that matter?). My lpstat -a gives
> $ lpstat -a
> laserjet accepting requests since Wed 15 Sep 2010 22:23:14 BST
> and I know it's connected okay (it just prints the p/s file rather than
> interprets it)

do you have cups-bsd installed? I think this was doing th lpr thing

usb or direct parallel doesn't matter. I have usb2parallel adaptor (younger
mainboard)

regards


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: i6teci$l7k$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i6teci$l7k$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 09-16-2010, 04:03 PM
deloptes
 
Default HP LaserJet 5L - cannot print postscript from cmd line

michael wrote:

lpr -P HP_LJ_5L -o InputSlot=Default -o Resolution=300x300dpi -o PageSize=A4

the only application I'm using lpr with is acroread. I don't remember when I
did configure it (it was years ago), so I don't remember why I choose those
options. most of them are self explanatory.

you need to have

grep Server /etc/cups/client.conf
# ServerName: the hostname of your server. By default CUPS will use the
#ServerName myhost.domain.com
ServerName localhost

but obviously you have it, as you see the printer

I hope it helps

PS:

lpstat -a
HP_LJ_5L accepting requests since 16.09.2010 (чт) 17,56,41 CEST



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: i6tf3k$q5f$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i6tf3k$q5f$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 PM
michael
 
Default HP LaserJet 5L - cannot print postscript from cmd line

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 17:50 +0200, deloptes wrote:
> michael wrote:
>
> > It is local on this machine's parallel port (I've just been in the habit
> > of lpr rather than lp but will that matter?). My lpstat -a gives
> > $ lpstat -a
> > laserjet accepting requests since Wed 15 Sep 2010 22:23:14 BST
> > and I know it's connected okay (it just prints the p/s file rather than
> > interprets it)
>
> do you have cups-bsd installed? I think this was doing th lpr thing
>

You rock!
No idea why it was needed, but just installed cups-bsd and it printed
fine
Hooray & ta, M


> usb or direct parallel doesn't matter. I have usb2parallel adaptor (younger
> mainboard)
>
> regards
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1284668420.3086.2.camel@amd64.lan">http://lists.debian.org/1284668420.3086.2.camel@amd64.lan
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org