Old 09-15-2010, 06:41 PM
Stephen Powell

Default My lenny picks the wrong resolution whereas squeeze is right

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 10:49:24 -0400 (EDT), Tong wrote:

> My lenny picks a smaller resolution than my monitor can handle. Almost
> like http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.user/376362, but my case
> is different.
>
> The good news is that my squeeze picks the right one, for the same
> machine. I've posted the brief comparison of the 2 logs at
>
> http://paste.debian.net/plain/89783
>
> The executive summary is,
>
> lenny says:
>
> (--) NV(0): Chipset: "Unknown NVIDIA chipset"
> (II) NV(0): 1280x1024@75Hz
> (II) NV(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x59.9 109.00 1280 1368 1496 1712 1024 1027 1034 1063 -hsync +vsync (63.7 kHz)
> (II) NV(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (width too large for
> virtual size)
>
> while squeeze says:
>
> (--) NV: Found NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE at 00@00:0d:0
> (II) NV(0): Printing DDC gathered Modelines:
> (II) NV(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x0.0 108.00 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (64.0 kHz)
> (II) NV(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x0.0 135.00 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (80.0 kHz)
> (II) NV(0): Configured Monitor: Using maximum pixel clock of 140.00 MHz
> (II) NV(0): Estimated virtual size for aspect ratio 1.2333 is 1280x1024
> (II) NV(0): Clock range: 12.00 to 400.00 MHz
> (II) NV(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (hsync out of range)
> (II) NV(0): Modeline "1280x1024"x60.0 108.00 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync (64.0 kHz)
>
> Any way for me to have my lenny to use the right resolution? It's
> damaging my monitor.
>
> PS. both of the full log can be posted if you want.

The key is right here:

(--) NV(0): Chipset: "Unknown NVIDIA chipset"

This sometimes happens when using old software on new hardware. The nv driver
(package xserver-xorg-video-nv) which ships with Lenny is too old to recognize
the new Nvidia chipset. The nv driver which ships with Squeeze is newer and
does recognize the chipset. I would suggest that you do one of two things:
(1) switch your Lenny system to a more generic driver, such as vesa, or (2)
upgrade your Lenny system to Squeeze.

Running a newer kernel is not going to help you in this case. It isn't the
kernel which doesn't support your card, it's the xserver-xorg-video-nv
package, which is part of the X server.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-15-2010, 07:01 PM
Lisi

On Wednesday 15 September 2010 19:41:24 Stephen Powell wrote:
> Running a newer kernel is not going to help you in this case. *It isn't the
> kernel which doesn't support your card, it's the xserver-xorg-video-nv
> package, which is part of the X server.

Thanks for that, Stephen. :-) I'll know next time.

Lisi

Old 09-16-2010, 01:11 AM
T o n g

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:00:50 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> you can try with "cvt" tool to get the correct "Modeline" and then add
> it to your "xorg.conf". Restart and check if it got the right
> resolution.

Yep, that works. Thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 09-16-2010, 01:15 PM
Stephen Powell

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 21:11:16 -0400 (EDT), Tong wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:00:50 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> you can try with "cvt" tool to get the correct "Modeline" and then add
>> it to your "xorg.conf". Restart and check if it got the right
>> resolution.
>
> Yep, that works. Thanks

All's well that ends well, but (a) I am surprised that the nv
driver worked at all using an "unknown chipset", and (b) while I have
occasionally had to resort to creating a custom video mode, I have
never had to do so simply to obtain a particular resolution.
Specifying "Modes" in the Display subsection of the Screen section,
or specifying the virtual desktop size, has always been sufficient
for me. But if you're happy with the results, that's the important thing.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:15:22 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 21:11:16 -0400 (EDT), Tong wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 15:00:50 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>>>
>>> you can try with "cvt" tool to get the correct "Modeline" and then add
>>> it to your "xorg.conf". Restart and check if it got the right
>>> resolution.
>>
>> Yep, that works. Thanks
>
> All's well that ends well, but (a) I am surprised that the nv driver
> worked at all using an "unknown chipset",

It could be due to old driver or a bug.

> and (b) while I have occasionally had to resort to creating a custom
> video mode, I have never had to do so simply to obtain a particular
> resolution.

(...)

Not so uncommon, I had to do it with legacy CRT display and Intel card.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-16-2010, 04:04 PM
T o n g

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 09:15:22 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> Specifying "Modes" in the Display subsection of the Screen section, or
> specifying the virtual desktop size, has always been sufficient for me.

No, that don't work for me. Specifying a bigger mode than the display
driver can handle can only give me a "virtual" desktop size, i.e., I need
to *pan* to reach every corner, which I don't like. Moreover, the wrong
resolution is damaging my monitor -- 2 days later the pixels started to
be "blowing" rightward.

> But if you're happy with the results, that's the important thing.

Yes, I am. Note that what I added is the correct "Modeline", telling nv
driver how to handle such situation, which is used to be the common
practice when X can't do the automatic detection before (10 years ago?).

cheers

Old 09-16-2010, 04:55 PM
Stephen Powell

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:04:57 -0400 (EDT), Tong wrote:
> Stephen Powell wrote:
>> Specifying "Modes" in the Display subsection of the Screen section, or
>> specifying the virtual desktop size, has always been sufficient for me.
>
> No, that don't work for me. Specifying a bigger mode than the display
> driver can handle can only give me a "virtual" desktop size, i.e., I need
> to *pan* to reach every corner, which I don't like. Moreover, the wrong
> resolution is damaging my monitor -- 2 days later the pixels started to
> be "blowing" rightward.

If you need an oddball screen resolution, that's one thing. But if
I recall correctly, what you wanted was 1280x1024, right? That's a
standard resolution. Without specifying a custom modeline, there
are two sources of information that the X server uses: (1) modelines
obtained from the monitor itself, if the monitor supports DDC2/EDID.
Most monitors made after 1993 support DDC2/EDID. (2) There is also
a built-in set of default modelines that the X server can call upon.
Something like this "should" work:

Section "Files"
#
# Note: the following fonts will be automatically appended by the X Server,
# if they exist, and therefore they should not be explicitly specified here.
# If they are, they will be included in the font path twice.
#
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75pdi/:unscaled"
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/100pdi"
# FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
# FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "ImPS/2"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "nv"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
Subsection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen "Default Screen"
InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
EndSection

The "Modes" line says what resolutions you want available, beginning with
the desired mode, but does not give specific timings. The virtual desktop
size normally defaults to the size of the largest mode.

>> But if you're happy with the results, that's the important thing.
>
> Yes, I am. Note that what I added is the correct "Modeline", telling nv
> driver how to handle such situation, which is used to be the common
> practice when X can't do the automatic detection before (10 years ago?).

I would be interested in seeing the full contents of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log
file when used with an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file similar to the above.
Some reasons why it might not work:

(1) It is unable to determine the amount of video RAM present.
The default video RAM assumed is not sufficient for the resolution and color
depth desired.

(2) It cannot detect the maximum pixel clock rate for your video card.
The default value assumed is not high enough to satisfy the requirements
of the video mode.

(3) It cannot (or does not) detect the monitor's parameters correctly,
such as horizontal and vertical sync frequency ranges or video bandwidth.

These are only some of the possibilities.

If you are satisfied to leave well enough alone, that's fine, but if you'd
like to avoid using a custom mode line, please post the entire
/var/log/Xorg.0.log file, along with its corresponding /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file, and I'll see if I can figure out what needs to be changed to get
it to work with a standard mode. If you could post your Squeeze output
using the same hardware, that would also be good for comparison purposes.

By the way, what kind of monitor are you using? Is it a CRT or a flat
screen panel? Are you using analog output (VGA) or digital (DVI)?

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-17-2010, 02:49 AM
T o n g

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:55:38 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> if you'd
> like to avoid using a custom mode line, please post the entire
> /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, along with its corresponding
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and I'll see if I can figure out what needs to
> be changed to get it to work with a standard mode. If you could post
> your Squeeze output using the same hardware, that would also be good for
> comparison purposes.

By all means. Thank you for being such persistent (I knew it was you who
help solved the problem quoted in my OP). Here they are:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
http://paste.debian.net/90057/

Worked xog log:
http://paste.debian.net/90058/

Not working one:
http://paste.debian.net/90059/

Squeeze output:
http://paste.debian.net/90060/

> By the way, what kind of monitor are you using? Is it a CRT or a flat
> screen panel? Are you using analog output (VGA) or digital (DVI)?

17" LCD, normal, not wide-screen, using analog output (VGA).

Thanks

Old 09-17-2010, 04:49 PM
Stephen Powell

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 22:49:21 -0400 (EDT), Tong wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 12:55:38 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> if you'd
>> like to avoid using a custom mode line, please post the entire
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log file, along with its corresponding
>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, and I'll see if I can figure out what needs to
>> be changed to get it to work with a standard mode. If you could post
>> your Squeeze output using the same hardware, that would also be good for
>> comparison purposes.
>
> By all means. Thank you for being such persistent (I knew it was you who
> help solved the problem quoted in my OP). Here they are:
>
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> http://paste.debian.net/90057/
>
> Worked xog log:
> http://paste.debian.net/90058/
>
> Not working one:
> http://paste.debian.net/90059/
>
> Squeeze output:
> http://paste.debian.net/90060/
>>
>> By the way, what kind of monitor are you using? Is it a CRT or a flat
>> screen panel? Are you using analog output (VGA) or digital (DVI)?
>
> 17" LCD, normal, not wide-screen, using analog output (VGA).

OK, I have looked at your files. The key to Lenny is right here:

(--) NV(0): Virtual size is 1152x864 (pitch 1152)

The X server picked 1152x864 as the virtual desktop size for some reason.
The corresponding message for Squeeze is

(--) NV(0): Virtual size is 1280x1024 (pitch 1280)

Which is the desired behavior.

The question is, "Why did Lenny pick 1152x864 as the virtual desktop size,
while Squeeze picked 1280x1024?" And I don't know the answer. At least
not yet. But that is the problem. Because it picked the wrong virtual
desktop size, it rejected all the 1280x1024 video modes with

(II) NV(0): Not using driver mode "1280x1024" (width too large for virtual size)
(II) NV(0): Not using driver mode "1280x1024" (width too large for virtual size)
(II) NV(0): Not using driver mode "1280x1024" (width too large for virtual size)
(II) NV(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (width too large for virtual size)
(II) NV(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (width too large for virtual size)

The double hyphen in parentheses preceding the message text indicates that
the value was "probed".

The algorithm used to determine the virtual desktop size "should" be as follows
(assuming a single monitor):

(1) If the virtual desktop size is explicitly specified in the Display subsection
of the Screen section, then the specified value is used. For example:

Virtual 1280 1024

The virtual desktop size is explicitly specified as 1280x1024.

(2) If the virtual desktop size is not explicitly specified, then the largest x
value and the largest y value needed for any of the modes specified in the
"Modes" line are used. For example:

Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

The largest x value is 1280 and the largest y value is 1024. Therefore, the
virtual desktop size is 1280x1024.

What I would try first is commenting out the "Modeline" statement in the
version of /etc/X11/xorg.conf that you posted and leave everything else
exactly the same. In particular, leave the "Modes" statement in the
Display subsection of the Screen section alone. Specifying "1280x1024"
as the first mode listed in the "Modes" statement should be sufficient.
If it doesn't work, try explicitly specifying a "Virtual" statement immediately
above the "Modes" statement as follows:

Virtual 1280 1024

If that doesn't work either, then there's certainly a bug in the X server.
Be glad that you found a work-around.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-20-2010, 04:05 PM
T o n g

Doing a full quote in case somebody doesn't know how to find its
parents....

On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 12:49:32 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>> http://paste.debian.net/90057/
>>
>> Worked xog log:
>> http://paste.debian.net/90058/
>>
>> Not working one:
>> http://paste.debian.net/90059/
>>
>> Squeeze output:
>> http://paste.debian.net/90060/
>>>
>>> . . .
>
> OK, I have looked at your files. The key to Lenny is right here:
>
> (--) NV(0): Virtual size is 1152x864 (pitch 1152)
>
> The X server picked 1152x864 as the virtual desktop size for some
> reason. The corresponding message for Squeeze is
>
> (--) NV(0): Virtual size is 1280x1024 (pitch 1280)
>
> Which is the desired behavior.
>
> The question is, "Why did Lenny pick 1152x864 as the virtual desktop
> size, while Squeeze picked 1280x1024?" And I don't know the answer. At
> least not yet. But that is the problem. Because it picked the wrong
> virtual desktop size, it rejected all the 1280x1024 video modes with
>
> (II) NV(0): Not using driver mode "1280x1024" (width too large for
> virtual size) (II) NV(0): Not using driver mode "1280x1024" (width
> too large for virtual size) (II) NV(0): Not using driver mode
> "1280x1024" (width too large for virtual size) (II) NV(0): Not using
> default mode "1280x1024" (width too large for virtual size) (II)
> NV(0): Not using default mode "1280x1024" (width too large for
> virtual size)
>
> The double hyphen in parentheses preceding the message text indicates
> that the value was "probed".
>
> The algorithm used to determine the virtual desktop size "should" be as
> follows (assuming a single monitor):
>
> (1) If the virtual desktop size is explicitly specified in the Display
> subsection
> of the Screen section, then the specified value is used. For
> example:
>
> Virtual 1280 1024
>
> The virtual desktop size is explicitly specified as 1280x1024.
>
> (2) If the virtual desktop size is not explicitly specified, then the
> largest x
> value and the largest y value needed for any of the modes specified
> in the "Modes" line are used. For example:
>
> Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>
> The largest x value is 1280 and the largest y value is 1024.
> Therefore, the virtual desktop size is 1280x1024.
>
> What I would try first is commenting out the "Modeline" statement in the
> version of /etc/X11/xorg.conf that you posted and leave everything else
> exactly the same. In particular, leave the "Modes" statement in the
> Display subsection of the Screen section alone. Specifying "1280x1024"
> as the first mode listed in the "Modes" statement should be sufficient.

This doesn't work. I need to pan to reach every corner.

> If it doesn't work, try explicitly specifying a "Virtual" statement
> immediately above the "Modes" statement as follows:
>
> Virtual 1280 1024

Yes! this works.

JFTA,

- full log of /var/log/Xorg.0.log posted as http://paste.debian.net/90581/

- here is my setting:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
Option "DPMS" "true"
#ModeLine "1280x1024" 108.00 1280 1328 1440 1688 1024 1025
1028 1066 +hsync +vsync # x60.0 (64.0 kHz)

EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultColorDepth 16
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Virtual 1280 1024
Modes "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768" "800x600"
"640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

To recap, either adding that ModeLine or this Virtual line work, whereas
the latter is better.

> If that doesn't work either, then there's certainly a bug in the X
> server. Be glad that you found a work-around.

Preserved for poorer souls.

Thanks again Stephen for your help and your persistent!