Old 09-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Mark Goldshtein

Default Squeeze. Failed to install bootloader in VirtualBox

Hello, list!

Here is a try to install Squeeze into Oracle VirtualBox 3.2.6. Virtual
drive is 8.0 GB persistent, RAM 768 Mb, a virtual drive was
partitioned by Squeeze installer with default settings (/, swap;
ext3). Everything is fine, except for bootloader. There is a failure
during GRUB (GRUB2, lilo) installation process: "GRUB installation
failed. The 'grub-pc' package failed to install
into /target/."

Also tried to partition a virtual hdd before Squeeze installation. No
effect, bootloader installation failed also.

Please, help to install a bootloader.

Thanks for your time!

--

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Old 09-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:32:19 +0400, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> Here is a try to install Squeeze into Oracle VirtualBox 3.2.6. Virtual
> drive is 8.0 GB persistent, RAM 768 Mb, a virtual drive was partitioned
> by Squeeze installer with default settings (/, swap; ext3). Everything
> is fine, except for bootloader. There is a failure during GRUB (GRUB2,
> lilo) installation process: "GRUB installation failed. The 'grub-pc'
> package failed to install into /target/."
>
> Also tried to partition a virtual hdd before Squeeze installation. No
> effect, bootloader installation failed also.
>
> Please, help to install a bootloader.

I also had problems for installing GRUB (legacy) into VM using d-i
(squeeze). I had to use SuperGrubDisk and proceed from there.

Indeed, installing GRUB in lenny was also problematic, IIRC. The first
time always failed (red screen with error message: "GRUB installation
failed"), and had to retry to get it properly installed :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:32:19 +0400, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
>
>> Here is a try to install Squeeze into Oracle VirtualBox 3.2.6. Virtual
>> drive is 8.0 GB persistent, RAM 768 Mb, a virtual drive was partitioned
>> by Squeeze installer with default settings (/, swap; ext3). Everything
>> is fine, except for bootloader. There is a failure during GRUB (GRUB2,
>> lilo) installation process: "GRUB installation failed. The 'grub-pc'
>> package failed to install into /target/."
>>
>> Also tried to partition a virtual hdd before Squeeze installation. No
>> effect, bootloader installation failed also.
>>
>> Please, help to install a bootloader.
>
> I also had problems for installing GRUB (legacy) into VM using d-i
> (squeeze). I had to use SuperGrubDisk and proceed from there.

Thanks for an idea. Tried both SGD and Debian Squeeze weekly build
DVD-1 'Rescue Mode' with no success: apt-get reported there are no
such files on the media. Actually they are in a proper place and
sources.list is in order and contains that DVD as a valid repository.

> Indeed, installing GRUB in lenny was also problematic, IIRC. The first
> time always failed (red screen with error message: "GRUB installation
> failed"), and had to retry to get it properly installed :-?

Yes, I confirm that. Another way to won was to pre-partition a target
drive by LiveCD before an actual install.

Have no clue on next step anyway. Tried Squeeze netinstall image on
the same VirtualBox, it is not booting even.
How to install Squeeze??
--

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein

Old 09-15-2010, 04:22 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 20:05:58 +0400, Mark Goldshtein wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> I also had problems for installing GRUB (legacy) into VM using d-i
>> (squeeze). I had to use SuperGrubDisk and proceed from there.
>
> Thanks for an idea. Tried both SGD and Debian Squeeze weekly build DVD-1
> 'Rescue Mode' with no success: apt-get reported there are no such files
> on the media. Actually they are in a proper place and sources.list is in
> order and contains that DVD as a valid repository.

Mmm, SDG does not works for you? That's weird :-?

What I made was downloading the ISO image from SDG site and configured
Virtualbox squeeze vm machine to boot from there. That way GRUB installed
just fine.

>> Indeed, installing GRUB in lenny was also problematic, IIRC. The first
>> time always failed (red screen with error message: "GRUB installation
>> failed"), and had to retry to get it properly installed :-?
>
> Yes, I confirm that. Another way to won was to pre-partition a target
> drive by LiveCD before an actual install.
>
> Have no clue on next step anyway. Tried Squeeze netinstall image on the
> same VirtualBox, it is not booting even. How to install Squeeze??

Well, I think you can always install squeeze without a bootloader and
install it later (from SDG or from squeeze itself).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Greg Madden

On Wednesday 15 September 2010 08:05:58 Mark Goldshtein wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 18:32:19 +0400, Mark Goldshtein wrote:
> >> Here is a try to install Squeeze into Oracle VirtualBox 3.2.6. Virtual
> >> drive is 8.0 GB persistent, RAM 768 Mb, a virtual drive was partitioned
> >> by Squeeze installer with default settings (/, swap; ext3). Everything
> >> is fine, except for bootloader. There is a failure during GRUB (GRUB2,
> >> lilo) installation process: "GRUB installation failed. The 'grub-pc'
> >> package failed to install into /target/."
> >>
> >> Also tried to partition a virtual hdd before Squeeze installation. No
> >> effect, bootloader installation failed also.
> >>
> >> Please, help to install a bootloader.
> >
> > I also had problems for installing GRUB (legacy) into VM using d-i
> > (squeeze). I had to use SuperGrubDisk and proceed from there.
>
> Thanks for an idea. Tried both SGD and Debian Squeeze weekly build
> DVD-1 'Rescue Mode' with no success: apt-get reported there are no
> such files on the media. Actually they are in a proper place and
> sources.list is in order and contains that DVD as a valid repository.
>
> > Indeed, installing GRUB in lenny was also problematic, IIRC. The first
> > time always failed (red screen with error message: "GRUB installation
> > failed"), and had to retry to get it properly installed :-?
>
> Yes, I confirm that. Another way to won was to pre-partition a target
> drive by LiveCD before an actual install.
>
> Have no clue on next step anyway. Tried Squeeze netinstall image on
> the same VirtualBox, it is not booting even.
> How to install Squeeze??
> --
>
> Sincerely Yours'
> Mark Goldshtein

I have had the same error in using Vbox & Squeeze. Since my goal was to have a
single os vm I just installed lilo instead. Lilo was given as a choice when I
said no to installing grub.

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 09-15-2010, 09:42 PM
Mark Goldshtein

On Wed, Sep 15, 2010 at 10:14 PM, Greg Madden <gomadtroll@gci.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 September 2010 08:05:58 Mark Goldshtein wrote:

>> > I also had problems for installing GRUB (legacy) into VM using d-i
>> > (squeeze). I had to use SuperGrubDisk and proceed from there.
>>
>> Thanks for an idea. Tried both SGD and Debian Squeeze weekly build
>> DVD-1 'Rescue Mode' with no success: apt-get reported there are no
>> such files on the media. Actually they are in a proper place and
>> sources.list is in order and contains that DVD as a valid repository.
>>
>> > Indeed, installing GRUB in lenny was also problematic, IIRC. The first
>> > time always failed (red screen with error message: "GRUB installation
>> > failed"), and had to retry to get it properly installed :-?
>>
>> Yes, I confirm that. Another way to won was to pre-partition a target
>> drive by LiveCD before an actual install.
>>
>> Have no clue on next step anyway. Tried Squeeze netinstall image on
>> the same VirtualBox, it is not booting even.
>> How to install Squeeze??
>> --
>>
>> Sincerely Yours'
>> Mark Goldshtein
>
> I have had the same error in using Vbox & Squeeze. Since my goal was to have a
> single os vm I just installed lilo instead. Lilo was given as a choice when I
> said no to installing grub.

Just finished a fresh install. This time went through 'expert text
install' and have chosen a network mirror with possibly more actual
packages. Install process was smooth and clean, GRUB is in MBR now and
booting well.

Thanks to all for your help and support!

--

Sincerely Yours'
Mark Goldshtein