-   -   Reg persistence usb portability (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/426731-reg-persistence-usb-portability.html)

Kousik Maiti 09-14-2010 05:22 AM

Reg persistence usb portability

Hi lists,

I created one persistence usb through http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ . Then add some packges into that.
Can the created persistence usb portable through different hardware? If no then what modifications required to make it portable through different hardware?

Thanks in advanced.
--
Wishing you the very best of everything, always!!!
Kousik Maiti(কৌশিক মাইতি)

Camalen 09-14-2010 10:13 AM

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:52:41 +0530, Kousik Maiti wrote:

> I created one persistence usb through http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ .
> Then add some packges into that.

By "packages" you mean programs or driver/modules?

> Can the created persistence usb portable through different hardware? If
> no then what modifications required to make it portable through
> different hardware?

I think you can have some problems with drivers to get all detected
devices working properly (mostly peripherals) in the LiveUSB (not in
virtual machine mode), but as long as you can get into Internet and
downlowad the required drivers (or installing them locally), you're done.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Kousik Maiti 09-14-2010 10:45 AM

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Camalen <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 10:52:41 +0530, Kousik Maiti wrote:

> I created one persistence usb through http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ .

> Then add some packges into that.

By "packages" you mean programs or driver/modules?

Packages means programs. From the manual of the linuxusblive I got the info that driver changes would not saved.

> Can the created persistence usb portable through different hardware? If

> no then what modifications required to make it portable through

> different hardware?

I think you can have some problems with drivers to get all detected

devices working properly (mostly peripherals) in the LiveUSB (not in

virtual machine mode), but as long as you can get into Internet and

downlowad the required drivers (or installing them locally), you're done.

My problem is in some system its working properly. but in other system it unable to show gdm. I can access virtual terminals(means ALT+CTL+Fn keys) only.
*

Greetings,

--

Camalen

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.09.14.10.13.37@gmail.com

Camalen 09-14-2010 10:52 AM

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:15:14 +0530, Kousik Maiti wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Camalen wrote:
>
>> I think you can have some problems with drivers to get all detected
>> devices working properly (mostly peripherals) in the LiveUSB (not in
>> virtual machine mode), but as long as you can get into Internet and
>> downlowad the required drivers (or installing them locally), you're
>> done.
>>
> My problem is in some system its working properly. but in other system
> it
> unable to show gdm. I can access virtual terminals(means ALT+CTL+Fn
> keys) only.

You'll have to get further info. It can be a problem for setting the
monitor/vga correctly.

Any error on logs ("/var/log/Xorg.0.log" or "~/.xsession-errors"?

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Kousik Maiti 09-14-2010 11:21 AM

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:15:14 +0530, Kousik Maiti wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> I think you can have some problems with drivers to get all detected

>> devices working properly (mostly peripherals) in the LiveUSB (not in

>> virtual machine mode), but as long as you can get into Internet and

>> downlowad the required drivers (or installing them locally), you're

>> done.

> My problem is in some system its working properly. but in other system

> it

> unable to show gdm. I can access virtual terminals(means ALT+CTL+Fn

> keys) only.

You'll have to get further info. It can be a problem for setting the

monitor/vga correctly.

Any error on logs ("/var/log/Xorg.0.log" or "~/.xsession-errors"?

I can't find errors in Xorg log. Some warning is there in xsession-errors file.

Both files are atteched.

Greetings,

--

Camaleón

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.09.14.10.52.00@gmail.com

Camalen 09-14-2010 12:07 PM

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:51:44 +0530, Kousik Maiti wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:22 PM, Camalen wrote:
>
>> You'll have to get further info. It can be a problem for setting the
>> monitor/vga correctly.
>>
>> Any error on logs ("/var/log/Xorg.0.log" or "~/.xsession-errors"?
>>
> I can't find errors in Xorg log. Some warning is there in
> xsession-errors
> file.
>
> Both files are atteched.

Ugh... next time upload the files to an online service (pastebin or such)
instead attaching them to the list ;-)

Well, as per your X log file, try to get into "init 5" mode by typing
"startx" when you are stuck at command line to see what error message you
get.

And regarding ".xession-errors" log file... try t disable any 3D effects
in desktop. It seems there are some entries related to Compiz errors and
XGL problems.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Richard Nelson 09-15-2010 02:02 AM

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 12:22 AM, Kousik Maiti <kousikster@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi lists,
>
> I created one persistence usb through http://www.linuxliveusb.com/ .

Not sure of the above but if you are using a Debian Live image then read on.

> Then
> add some packges into that.
> Can the created persistence usb portable through different hardware? If no
> then what modifications required to make it portable through different
> hardware?

Take a look at 7.5.4. Persistent SubText it was added so a single
image could be used in various setups
http://live.debian.net/manual/en/html/persistence.html#id2559143