Old 09-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Johannes Graumann

Default Debian VServer in Germany

Hi,

I'm looking for a hosting outfit in Germany that will provide a virtual
server running debian with >=75GB HD space, full root access and backup
management. I'm with strato.de right now and happy, BUT they will NOT allow
me to set an MX-Record for the server-associated domain directly. I'm
looking for a provider that allows that while providing a backup mailserver,
so no mail gets lost if my own vserver goes down for a bit ...

Any ideas,

Thanks, Joh

Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 PM
David Jardine

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 10:44:36PM +0200, Johannes Graumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a hosting outfit in Germany that will provide a virtual
> server running debian with >=75GB HD space, full root access and backup
> management. I'm with strato.de right now and happy, BUT they will NOT allow
> me to set an MX-Record for the server-associated domain directly. I'm
> looking for a provider that allows that while providing a backup mailserver,
> so no mail gets lost if my own vserver goes down for a bit ...
>
> Any ideas,

I don't know about all your particular requirements, but 1und1.de
provides a wide range and in my (small-scale) experience is very
reliable.

Cheers,
David

Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 AM
Johannes Graumann

David Jardine wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 10:44:36PM +0200, Johannes Graumann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for a hosting outfit in Germany that will provide a virtual
>> server running debian with >=75GB HD space, full root access and backup
>> management. I'm with strato.de right now and happy, BUT they will NOT
>> allow me to set an MX-Record for the server-associated domain directly.
>> I'm looking for a provider that allows that while providing a backup
>> mailserver, so no mail gets lost if my own vserver goes down for a bit
>>
>> Any ideas,
>>
> I don't know about all your particular requirements, but 1und1.de
> provides a wide range and in my (small-scale) experience is very
> reliable.

Thanks! I have had very spotty customer service experiences with 1und1 in
the past - that wasn't a problem for you?

Thanks, Joh

Old 09-14-2010, 11:06 AM
David Jardine

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 10:05:59AM +0200, Johannes Graumann wrote:

> Thanks! I have had very spotty customer service experiences with 1und1 in
> the past - that wasn't a problem for you?

My web hosting contract with them is a pretty minimal one. All I can
say is that I've had no trouble over the past few years. If you've
already tried them at a higher service level, your experience is worth
more than mine.

Cheers,
David

Old 09-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Johannes Graumann

Decided to solve my issues with migrating my domain to dyndns.org's custom
offering.

Joh

Old 09-14-2010, 09:29 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Johannes Graumann put forth on 9/13/2010 3:44 PM:
> I'm
> looking for a provider that allows that while providing a backup mailserver,
> so no mail gets lost if my own vserver goes down for a bit ...

You don't need a backup MX. IIRC, the default retry interval for every
*nix MTA in default configuration is _3-5 days_. Do you foresee your
server being down more than 3-5 days at a time? If not, you don't need
a backup MX.

I've been running a home vanity domain MX box for 8 years and never lost
a mail through two moves, one within the city lasting 8 hours, the other
between cities lasting almost 2 days.

--
Stan

Old 09-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Ma, 14 sep 10, 16:29:48, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> I've been running a home vanity domain MX box for 8 years and never lost
> a mail through two moves, one within the city lasting 8 hours, the other
> between cities lasting almost 2 days.

Just out of curiosity, how would you tell you haven't lost e-mail?
Assumptions that the sender will retry do not count[1]

[1] Yes, I've had a recent bad experience about it...

Regards,
Andrei

Old 09-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Klistvud

Dne, 17. 09. 2010 23:12:29 je Andrei Popescu napisal(a):

Just out of curiosity, how would you tell you haven't lost e-mail?
Assumptions that the sender will retry do not count[1]

Dead simple -- accompany every mail with a signture, such as:

*In case you never receive this mail, please notify me immediately*

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Please reply to the list, not to me.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:17 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sb, 18 sep 10, 01:21:32, Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 17. 09. 2010 23:12:29 je Andrei Popescu napisal(a):
> >
> >Just out of curiosity, how would you tell you haven't lost e-mail?
> >Assumptions that the sender will retry do not count[1]
> >

> Dead simple -- accompany every mail with a signture, such as:
>
> *In case you never receive this mail, please notify me immediately*

LOL

Regards,
Andrei

Old 09-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Adam Hardy

Andrei Popescu on 18/09/10 07:17, wrote:

On Sb, 18 sep 10, 01:21:32, Klistvud wrote:

Dne, 17. 09. 2010 23:12:29 je Andrei Popescu napisal(a):

Just out of curiosity, how would you tell you haven't lost e-mail?
Assumptions that the sender will retry do not count[1]

Dead simple -- accompany every mail with a signture, such as:

*In case you never receive this mail, please notify me immediately*

LOL

Regards,
Andrei

I received a manual virus recently. It told me to delete all the files on my
harddrive, and then forward it to all my contacts. Fortunately I realised, and
didn't do it.