Old 09-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Frank

Default ext3 file system

I have been having (minor?) problems with the ext3 file systems on my
machine. I have Ubuntu installed on /dev/sda3, with Squeeze on
/dev/sda2. Nearly everytime I go into Ubuntu, then back to Squeeze,
the file system check recovers the journal, and finds 8 or 10 orphaned
nodes. It seems to happen when I copy files from sda3 to sda2. I use
Sylpheed as a mail client, and on both systems have several shared
folders..that is folders that are symlinked.
Any ideas on the problem ?

Thanks

--
-- Frank --

Old 09-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Stephen Powell

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:28:26 -0400 (EDT), Frank wrote:

> I have been having (minor?) problems with the ext3 file systems on my
> machine. I have Ubuntu installed on /dev/sda3, with Squeeze on
> /dev/sda2. Nearly everytime I go into Ubuntu, then back to Squeeze,
> the file system check recovers the journal, and finds 8 or 10 orphaned
> nodes. It seems to happen when I copy files from sda3 to sda2. I use
> Sylpheed as a mail client, and on both systems have several shared
> folders..that is folders that are symlinked.
> Any ideas on the problem ?

That sounds like the file system is not being cleanly unmounted by
Ubuntu during shutdown. You are doing a clean shutdown, aren't you?
What happens if you manually umount the file system prior to shutting
down Ubuntu?

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Josef Huber

Yes, that's quite annoying: I had a similar problem once, because of hibernation with lenny and xp. Later I had to find out that if you use only Linux-OSs, the problem occurs as well. Why there isn't any warning with the file system not being saved correctly - I would really like to know that!

Josef Huber

Re: ext3 file system

Archive: 4C8E6114.1050508@gmx.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C8E6114.1050508@gmx.net

Old 09-13-2010, 05:51 PM
Frank

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:41:32 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 11:28:26 -0400 (EDT), Frank wrote:
> >
> > I have been having (minor?) problems with the ext3 file systems on my
> > machine. I have Ubuntu installed on /dev/sda3, with Squeeze on
> > /dev/sda2. Nearly everytime I go into Ubuntu, then back to Squeeze,
> > the file system check recovers the journal, and finds 8 or 10 orphaned
> > nodes. It seems to happen when I copy files from sda3 to sda2. I use
> > Sylpheed as a mail client, and on both systems have several shared
> > folders..that is folders that are symlinked.
> > Any ideas on the problem ?
>
> That sounds like the file system is not being cleanly unmounted by
> Ubuntu during shutdown. You are doing a clean shutdown, aren't you?

Ubuntu is using the graphical logon/logoff so I can't see what's
going on, but yes the shutdown is clean. I **assume** the file system
is being unmounted, but I'd have to disable graphics to see for sure.

> What happens if you manually umount the file system prior to shutting
> down Ubuntu?

I have to try it and see.
One thing I noticed...in Ubuntu's fstab, sda2 is referred to as
"/dev/sda2" while the Ubuntu partition is referenced by the UUID..I
wonder if this is a problem ?

--
-- Frank --

Old 09-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Stephen Powell

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:51:12 -0400 (EDT), Frank wrote:
> One thing I noticed...in Ubuntu's fstab, sda2 is referred to as
> "/dev/sda2" while the Ubuntu partition is referenced by the UUID..I
> wonder if this is a problem ?

You said Ubuntu both times. Which is Debian and which is Ubuntu?
It shouldn't be a problem, as long as the UUID is correct. If the partition
has been re-formatted since /etc/fstab was created, the
UUID might have changed. Verify that the UUIDs match. The blkid
command will tell you what the actual current UUID for a device
is. For example:

blkid /dev/sda2

If blkid returns no output, try wipefs (from package util-linux) to
see if there are any residual file system signatures that may
be confusing udev/blkid. But the first thing to try is manually
umounting the file system in Ubuntu before shutdown.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Tom H

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:51:12 -0400 (EDT), Frank wrote:
>> One thing I noticed...in Ubuntu's fstab, sda2 is referred to as
>> "/dev/sda2" while the Ubuntu partition is referenced by the UUID..I
>> wonder if this is a problem ?
>
> You said Ubuntu both times. *Which is Debian and which is Ubuntu?
> It shouldn't be a problem, as long as the UUID is correct. *If the partition
> has been re-formatted since /etc/fstab was created, the
> UUID might have changed. *Verify that the UUIDs match. *The blkid
> command will tell you what the actual current UUID for a device
> is. *For example:
>
> * blkid /dev/sda2
>
> If blkid returns no output, try wipefs (from package util-linux) to
> see if there are any residual file system signatures that may
> be confusing udev/blkid. *But the first thing to try is manually
> umounting the file system in Ubuntu before shutdown.

Skip the blkid cache with
blkid -c /dev/null /dev/sda2

Is sda3 ext3 or ext4?

Old 09-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Frank

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:39:17 -0400 (EDT)
Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:51:12 -0400 (EDT), Frank wrote:
> > One thing I noticed...in Ubuntu's fstab, sda2 is referred to as
> > "/dev/sda2" while the Ubuntu partition is referenced by the UUID..I
> > wonder if this is a problem ?
>
> You said Ubuntu both times.

No, what I said was in the fstab on the Ubuntu partition, sda2
(Squeeze) is referred to as /dev/sda2, while that same fstab refers to
the Ubuntu partition (sda3) by it's UUID

> It shouldn't be a problem, as long as the UUID is correct. If the partition
> has been re-formatted since /etc/fstab was created, the
> UUID might have changed. Verify that the UUIDs match.

I have already done that.

> be confusing udev/blkid. But the first thing to try is manually
> umounting the file system in Ubuntu before shutdown.

That's next.

Thanks for your help so far.

--
-- Frank --

Old 09-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Frank

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:02:54 -0400
Tom H <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 2:39 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:51:12 -0400 (EDT), Frank wrote:
> >> One thing I noticed...in Ubuntu's fstab, sda2 is referred to as
> >> "/dev/sda2" while the Ubuntu partition is referenced by the UUID..I
> >> wonder if this is a problem ?
> >
> > You said Ubuntu both times. *Which is Debian and which is Ubuntu?
> > It shouldn't be a problem, as long as the UUID is correct. *If the partition
> > has been re-formatted since /etc/fstab was created, the
> > UUID might have changed. *Verify that the UUIDs match. *The blkid
> > command will tell you what the actual current UUID for a device
> > is. *For example:
> >
> > * blkid /dev/sda2
> >
> > If blkid returns no output, try wipefs (from package util-linux) to
> > see if there are any residual file system signatures that may
> > be confusing udev/blkid. *But the first thing to try is manually
> > umounting the file system in Ubuntu before shutdown.
>
> Skip the blkid cache with
> blkid -c /dev/null /dev/sda2
>
> Is sda3 ext3 or ext4?

Both sda3 and sda2 are ext3 formatted.

Thanks

--
-- Frank --

Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 PM
Frank

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:01:08 -0400
Paul Cartwright <debian@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> > Ubuntu is using the graphical logon/logoff so I can't see what's
> > going on, but yes the shutdown is clean. I **assume** the file system
> > is being unmounted, but I'd have to disable graphics to see for sure.
>
> I think if you hit ESC ( escape) you can see the actual text of what is going
> on...

OK thanks.

--
-- Frank --

Old 09-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Frank

On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 15:45:52 -0400
Frank <debianlist@videotron.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 14:39:17 -0400 (EDT)
> Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 13 Sep 2010 13:51:12 -0400 (EDT), Frank wrote:
> > > One thing I noticed...in Ubuntu's fstab, sda2 is referred to as
> > > "/dev/sda2" while the Ubuntu partition is referenced by the UUID..I
> > > wonder if this is a problem ?
>
> > It shouldn't be a problem, as long as the UUID is correct. If the partition
> > has been re-formatted since /etc/fstab was created, the
> > UUID might have changed. Verify that the UUIDs match.
>
> I have already done that.
>
> > be confusing udev/blkid. But the first thing to try is manually
> > umounting the file system in Ubuntu before shutdown.

Further to this problem (I'm getting tired of re-booting)...I have
tried copying mail in SYlpheed from Ubuntu (sda3) to Squeeze (sda2)
several times..with and without manually unmounting sda2 before
rebooting. If I unmount sda2 before rebooting after moving mail ,
there is no problem. Squeeze reboots without finding fs errors. If I
don't manually unmount sda2 orphaned nodes are found when squeeze
reboots. Yet when Ubuntu reboots, one of the messages is local file
systems unmounted !! It seems Ubuntu is unmounting sda3, but not
sda2. I guess this now belongs on the Ubuntu list ??

Thanks

--
-- Frank --