Old 09-13-2010, 04:52 AM
Paul E Condon

Default testing install grub install loop

On 20100912_193846, Paul Scott wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install from a testing net-install CD a little over a
> year old. I have a hard drive problem and this is all I have to
> build a new system.
>
> I get a screen to choose the devices on which to install grub. No
> matter what combination I check the next screen tells me I have not
> chosen any devices on which to install grub. Is there a workaround
> from this point?

My year old squeeze business-card CD has the same problem. I select
the button for going on without installing grub, and the process does
some more grub2 processing finding other OS that are on the computer,
and then actually writes to the MBR.

THEN when I boot the new system, the grub.cfg display does not contain
any of the other OS on the computer, only the one that has just been
installed. But a running of 'update-grub' and reboot lets me see all
the OS on the computer.

Hope this works for you.

--
Paul E Condon