Old 09-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Joel Roth

Default Debian on Dell Inspiron 15 or 15R laptops?

Has anyone had experience with Linux on this hardware?

I'm especially wary about ACPI problems, as my current
laptop Toshiba Satellite L305 series has problems
overheating even with the dual-core processor running at
1GHz which, incidentally, is my only choice of CPU
frequency.

Neither omnibook nor toshiba drivers have helped with this.

I'm aware Dell offers Ubuntu on one flavor of Inspiron 15,
however the processor is T6600 instead of the newer,
more efficient and powerful i5 series.

Joel Roth

Old 09-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Doug

Has anyone had experience with Linux on this hardware?

I'm especially wary about ACPI problems, as my current
laptop Toshiba Satellite L305 series has problems
overheating even with the dual-core processor running at
1GHz which, incidentally, is my only choice of CPU
frequency.

Neither omnibook nor toshiba drivers have helped with this.

I'm aware Dell offers Ubuntu on one flavor of Inspiron 15,
however the processor is T6600 instead of the newer,
more efficient and powerful i5 series.

Regards,

I'm running Squeeze on a Dell E1505. This is an older version
without dual-core. The CPU is 1.7 GHz, I believe. I haven't noticed
any overheating. If I can figure out the way to dump the system
parameters to email, I will send them to you. BTW, when I installed
SQ to the machine on a third partition (with WinXP and PcLOs) its
non-gui grub lost PcLOs. I had to use a live PcLOs to straighten
things out again. Now I can boot any one of the three OK.
--doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley

Archive: 4C8D4510.7080002@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C8D4510.7080002@optonline.net

Old 09-12-2010, 11:36 PM
Doug

Has anyone had experience with Linux on this hardware?

I'm especially wary about ACPI problems, as my current
laptop Toshiba Satellite L305 series has problems
overheating even with the dual-core processor running at
1GHz which, incidentally, is my only choice of CPU
frequency.

Neither omnibook nor toshiba drivers have helped with this.

I'm aware Dell offers Ubuntu on one flavor of Inspiron 15,
however the processor is T6600 instead of the newer,
more efficient and powerful i5 series.

Regards,

As promised previously, here is the system analysis via
Belarc. I had to do this in XP, I couldn't find a program
to do it in Linux. Com[uter is Dell Inspiron laptop, E1505.
The line about usable hd space is in error. I'm already using more than
what it says.

Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name: Dell (in DOUGNET) — Laptop
Profile Date: Sunday, September 12, 2010 7:22:29 PM
Advisor Version: 8.1m
Windows Logon: Administrator

Plan for your next computer refresh...
click for Belarc's System Management products

Operating System System Model
Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States) Dell Inc. MM061
System Service Tag: 8488KB1 (support for this PC)
Chassis Serial Number: 8488KB1
Enclosure Type: Portable
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
1.87 gigahertz Intel Core Solo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Not hyper-threaded Board: Dell Inc. 0KD882
Serial Number: .8488KB1.CN486436788817.
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A06 06/09/2006
Drives Memory Modules c,d
32.58 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
15.32 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-L632D [CD-ROM drive]

WDC WD3200BEKT-00KA9T0 [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, s/n
WD-WXC1A60H2419, rev 01.01A01, SMART Status: Healthy 2040 Megabytes
Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM_B' has 1024 MB (serial number 04004256)
Slot 'DIMM_A' has 1024 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 32.58 GB 15.32 GB free
Network Drives
None detected
Users (mouse over user name for details) Printers
local user accounts last logon
Administrator 9/12/2010 6:59:09 PM (admin)
local system accounts
Guest never
HelpAssistant never
SUPPORT_388945a0 never

DISABLED Marks a disabled account; LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account

HP DeskJet 970Cse on USB001
Controllers Display
Intel(R) 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Ricoh Memory Stick Controller
Ricoh MMC Host Controller
Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express
Chipset Family [Display adapter] (2x)

AU Optronics 15.4 [Monitor] (15.4"vis, January 2005)
Bus Adapters Multimedia
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB
Intel(R) 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

Virus Protection [Back to Top] new Group Policies
Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus Version 7.0.0.102
Virus Definitions Version Up To Date
Realtime File Scanning On
None discovered
Communications Other Devices
Conexant HDA D110 MDC V.92 Modem

1394 Net Adapter
Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.102 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1
Physical Address: 00:15:C5:A8:8A:7A
Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card
Auto IP Address: 10.0.0.21 / 24
Gateway: 10.0.0.1
Dhcp Server: 10.0.0.1
Physical Address: 00:16:CF:11:E6:98

Networking Dns Servers: 167.206.254.2
167.206.254.1
10.0.0.1
OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
Microsoft AC Adapter
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery
USB Human Interface Device
Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
HID-compliant mouse
Synaptics PS/2 Port Pointing Device [Mouse]
SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller
USB Printing Support
USB Root Hub (5x)

--doug

--
Blessed be the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
A. M. Greeley