Old 09-12-2010, 04:16 PM
James Stuckey

Default Creating DVD and CDs

Hi all,

After finally figuring out how to back up my e-mail files I now need to go about putting them onto a CD. What I have here is just a folder with files inside of it. I have some notes that I took at some point in front of me about making a CD and DVD and before I use them I'd like to ask the list to see if I've got it right.

To make a *CD* one first needs to create an ISO file. This is done with the "genisoimage" command. I took a look at the man-page for that and it gives several examples. Which one do I use? Do I need a Vanilla ISO9660 filesystem? Rock Ridge extensions? What's the difference?

For a *DVD* the process is a little different. For example: "mkiso fs -rJ -i image stuff && growisofs -dvd-compact -z /dve/dvd=image"

After either of those commands, one need simply "wodim image.iso"

ciao
James S.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:14 AM
Cousin Stanley

> After finally figuring out how to back up my e-mail files
> I now need to go about putting them onto a CD.
> To make a *CD* one first needs to create an ISO file

The CD/DVD buring programs brasero or k3b
can be used to burn a data CD/DVD directly
without first creating an .iso file ....

Brasero is a Gnome program and k3b is a KDE program
but either program can be used under either desktop
environment ....

For information ....

apt-cache show brasero

apt-cache show k3b

To install ....

apt-get install brasero

apt-get install k3b

--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being

Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 AM
Merciadri Luca

James Stuckey wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> After finally figuring out how to back up my e-mail files I now need
> to go about putting them onto a CD. What I have here is just a folder
> with files inside of it. I have some notes that I took at some point
> in front of me about making a CD and DVD and before I use them I'd
> like to ask the list to see if I've got it right.
Okay. No problem.
> To make a *CD* one first needs to create an ISO file. This is done
> with the "genisoimage" command. I took a look at the man-page for that
> and it gives several examples. Which one do I use? Do I need a Vanilla
> ISO9660 filesystem? Rock Ridge extensions? What's the difference?
>
> For a *DVD* the process is a little different. For example: "mkiso fs
> -rJ -i image stuff && growisofs -dvd-compact -z /dve/dvd=image"
You say this just as if it was the only way to write a CD. You're not
obliged to burn an .iso image, be it on a CD or a DVD, to write its
content to the CD (or DVD). If you want to keep data on a CD/DVD, why
would you use an .iso? That's an image-backup extension. If you're using
GUIs, I recommend you to switch to GUIs.
> After either of those commands, one need simply "wodim image.iso"
That must be with a particular program.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Liberty without learning is always in peril; learning without liberty is
always in vain. (John F. Kennedy)

Old 09-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Lisi

On Sunday 12 September 2010 17:16:51 James Stuckey wrote:
> To make a *CD* one first needs to create an ISO file.

Why? This is data. Just burn it to CD using a suitable application. I use
K3b and swear by it, but YMMV. Just be careful to check through the options
and ensure you preserve the permissions. It is not a major matter if you
don't, but preserving them keeps life simpler.

Lisi