FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-12-2010, 04:12 PM
James Stuckey
 
Default Iceweasel stability issues after reading the browser straw poll

Hi all,

After reading the browser straw poll, I was influenced to try some of the plug-ins listed. I installed: Adblock Plus 1.2.1, FlagFox 4.0.8, Flashblock 1.5.13, FlashGot 1.2, Leo Search 1.0.0, NoScript 1.9.8.69, and Readability 1.1. Some of these I installed with aptitude and the ones that weren't I installed through firefox/the mozilla website.


Since doing so I've begun to have, for the very first time, stability problems with iceweasel on testing when watching flash videos on youtube. Generally, my browser will, some time during the playing of the video, before, or after it finishes, become frozen such that I can't click any of the buttons or close it.


I then do "ps -auwx | grep iceweasel" and get:
stuckey@debian:~$ ps -auwx | grep iceweasel
Warning: bad ps syntax, perhaps a bogus '-'? See http://procps.sf.net/faq.html

stuckey* 22684* 0.0* 0.0** 3952** 584 ?******* S*** 17:52** 0:00 sh -c iceweasel
stuckey* 22694* 1.6* 3.5 594612 145848 ?****** Sl** 17:52** 0:11 /usr/lib/iceweasel/firefox-bin
stuckey* 27256* 0.0* 2.9 594612 119008 ?****** S*** 18:03** 0:00 /usr/lib/iceweasel/firefox-bin

stuckey* 27527* 0.0* 0.0** 7548** 860 pts/2*** S+** 18:03** 0:00 grep iceweasel
stuckey@debian:~$ kill -9 27256

I have to assume that this is due to one of the plugins I installed. Does anyone have any input? A lot of those are really cool and I would hate to have to give one up -- especially the Leo search one (though I wish there was a Langenscheidts plug-in that did something similar).


ciao
James S.
 
Old 09-12-2010, 07:07 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default Iceweasel stability issues after reading the browser straw poll

In <AANLkTin7D3HqSPG3iCxAMZO1QJNZ3yixRmkCs+3amQot@mai l.gmail.com>, James
Stuckey wrote:
>After reading the browser straw poll, I was influenced to try some of the
>plug-ins listed. I installed.
>
>Since doing so I've begun to have, for the very first time, stability
>problems with iceweasel on testing when watching flash videos on youtube.
>
>I have to assume that this is due to one of the plugins I installed. Does
>anyone have any input?

Disable half. Test. If symptom goes away, it is one of the disabled
extensions. If the symptom persists, it is one of the enabled ones. Proceed
until you've identified the correct one. Report the issue. Wait for fix.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 
Old 09-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Adam Hardy
 
Default Iceweasel stability issues after reading the browser straw poll

James Stuckey on 12/09/10 17:12, wrote:
the plug-ins listed. I installed: Adblock Plus 1.2.1, FlagFox 4.0.8,
Flashblock 1.5.13, FlashGot 1.2, Leo Search 1.0.0, NoScript 1.9.8.69,
and Readability 1.1. Some of these I installed with aptitude and the
ones that weren't I installed through firefox/the mozilla website.


Since doing so I've begun to have, for the very first time, stability
problems with iceweasel on testing when watching flash videos on
youtube. Generally, my browser will, some time during the playing of the
video, before, or after it finishes, become frozen such that I can't
click any of the buttons or close it.



I don't have the stability problems as you describe but I don't use Flashblock
or Flashgot or Readability.


I do have a problem with youtube videos and the sound, but I don't know what's
causing it and I haven't tried fixing it yet. I'm hoping for an upgrade in the
near future to Firefox 3.


What do you do with Flashblock and Flashgot? Isn't that functionality covered by
NoScript?



Adam


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4C8D27CD.9010306@cyberspaceroad.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C8D27CD.9010306@cyberspaceroad.com
 
Old 09-13-2010, 04:40 AM
Marc Shapiro
 
Default Iceweasel stability issues after reading the browser straw poll

Adam Hardy wrote:
I don't have the stability problems as you describe but I don't use
Flashblock or Flashgot or Readability.


I do have a problem with youtube videos and the sound, but I don't know
what's causing it and I haven't tried fixing it yet. I'm hoping for an
upgrade in the near future to Firefox 3.


I am running Firefox 3.6 on Lenny and I still have sound problems. I
think the problems are more due to flash games that my daughter runs
than to youtube, but flash seems to be the culprit in any case. I
usually have to just keep killing instances of Firefox until I find the
right one.


NOTE: I have three seperate X sessions running (for myself, my wife and
my daughter) and each one has its own instance of Firefox (and
frequently OO.o).



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4C8DAB38.8060703@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C8DAB38.8060703@gmail.com
 
Old 09-13-2010, 05:39 AM
Bret Busby
 
Default Iceweasel stability issues after reading the browser straw poll

On Sun, 12 Sep 2010, James Stuckey wrote:


Since doing so I've begun to have, for the very first time, stability
problems with iceweasel on testing when watching flash videos on youtube.
Generally, my browser will, some time during the playing of the video,
before, or after it finishes, become frozen such that I can't click any of
the buttons or close it.




I trust that, with you using flash, you subscribe to, and, act on, the
CERT advisories.


From what I understand, using flash is about as safe as going swimming

in a piranaha pool.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia
..............

"So once you do know what the question actually is,
you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992

.................................................. ..


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: alpine.DEB.1.10.1009131336330.30468@bretnewworksta tion.busby.net">http://lists.debian.org/alpine.DEB.1.10.1009131336330.30468@bretnewworksta tion.busby.net
 
Old 09-13-2010, 06:35 AM
Klistvud
 
Default Iceweasel stability issues after reading the browser straw poll

Dne, 13. 09. 2010 06:40:24 je Marc Shapiro napisal(a):


I am running Firefox 3.6 on Lenny and I still have sound problems. I
think the problems are more due to flash games that my daughter runs
than to youtube, but flash seems to be the culprit in any case.


Yep. In my imaginary world, in similar cases consumers/users would
unite and simply boycott such software until it withered and died. But
then again, I'm just an anomalous old fart who boycotts twitter,
facebook, hotmail, subscription-fee -- as opposed to pre-paid --
business models (web sites in particular), DRM-ed content, ... (this
list could go on indefinitely) ...


--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Please reply to the list, not to me.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1284359759.5493.0@compax">http://lists.debian.org/1284359759.5493.0@compax
 
Old 09-17-2010, 05:01 AM
Marc Shapiro
 
Default Iceweasel stability issues after reading the browser straw poll

On 09/12/10 23:35, Klistvud wrote:

Dne, 13. 09. 2010 06:40:24 je Marc Shapiro napisal(a):


I am running Firefox 3.6 on Lenny and I still have sound problems. I
think the problems are more due to flash games that my daughter runs
than to youtube, but flash seems to be the culprit in any case.


Yep. In my imaginary world, in similar cases consumers/users would unite
and simply boycott such software until it withered and died. But then
again, I'm just an anomalous old fart who boycotts twitter, facebook,
hotmail, subscription-fee -- as opposed to pre-paid -- business models
(web sites in particular), DRM-ed content, ... (this list could go on
indefinitely) ...


That sounds a lot like my list. I DO have a Hotmail account, but it is
used strictly for when some site requires an e-mail addy and I don't
really want all the junk they are going to send me. I have never gotten
anything on that account that I actually want, or need, to read.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4C92F644.30800@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C92F644.30800@gmail.com
 
Old 09-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Kelly Clowers
 
Default Iceweasel stability issues after reading the browser straw poll

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 21:40, Marc Shapiro <marcnshap@gmail.com> wrote:
> Adam Hardy wrote:
>>
>> I don't have the stability problems as you describe but I don't use
>> Flashblock or Flashgot or Readability.
>>
>> I do have a problem with youtube videos and the sound, but I don't know
>> what's causing it and I haven't tried fixing it yet. I'm hoping for an
>> upgrade in the near future to Firefox 3.
>
> I am running Firefox 3.6 on Lenny and I still have sound problems. *I think
> the problems are more due to flash games that my daughter runs than to
> youtube, but flash seems to be the culprit in any case. *I usually have to
> just keep killing instances of Firefox until I find the right one.

Uh, if you are using FF3.6, just kill the Flash process, not FF.
And I am guessing you don't use PA?


Cheers,
Kelly Clowers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTi=hs5Sp7MX0kdVSbEFiwQ+k0501dx5Uug4UpPbT@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTi=hs5Sp7MX0kdVSbEFiwQ+k0501dx5Uug4UpPbT@mail .gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:29 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org