Old 09-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Ravi Roy

Default Help on porting packages between Debian 5 lenny and Debian 4.0 etch

Hi
Could somebody help me as how to port pacakges between distributions ... for example a package which exists in debian 5.0 lenny but does not exists in*debian*4.0 etch and I need the same package in debian 4.0 etch.

*
Thanks for your pointers in advance!
*
Regards
*
-RR

Old 09-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 12:58:15PM +0530, Ravi Roy wrote:
> Hi
> Could somebody help me as how to port pacakges between distributions ... for
> example a package which exists in debian 5.0 lenny but does not exists
> in debian 4.0 etch and I need the same package in debian 4.0 etch.

Why? ... anyway

> Thanks for your pointers in advance!

This may involve some library backports etc .... so it may not simple.

Few things before trying it yourself. It may be done. Check old archive for
backports.
apt line: http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/ etch-backports main

If not, you can extend tricks described in "2.7.10. Porting a package to
the stable system" of Debian Reference.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_porting_a_package_to_the_stable_syst em
(This document assumes squeeze is already released since it is meant
for squeeze release. We need to waitfor it. But you get the idea.)

It is essentially:
# apt-get update # in sarge
# apt-get install fakeroot devscripts build-essential
$ apt-get build-dep foo # this is from lenny
$ apt-get source foo
$ cd foo*

Some basic packaging skill is needed. So read old (lenny) version and
new (squeeze) version of maint-guide. Newest vesion on the is on the
web:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html

If all these are too much, hire some one if it is for your work. If it s your
privte system, think about upgrading to lenny.

Osamu

Old 09-12-2010, 09:12 AM
Ravi Roy

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 12:58:15PM +0530, Ravi Roy wrote:
> Hi
> Could somebody help me as how to port pacakges between distributions ... for
> example a package which exists in debian 5.0 lenny but does not exists

> in debian 4.0 etch and I need the same package in debian 4.0 etch.

Why? *... anyway

Thanks Osamu for your quick response. My product is running using debian 4.0 etch version in production enviornment and needs bug fix releases from time to time.. though effort is already started to migrate to debian 5.0 lenny.

*

> Thanks for your pointers in advance!

This may involve some library backports etc .... *so it may not simple.

Few things before trying it yourself. *It may be done. *Check old archive for

backports.
apt line: http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/ etch-backports main

If not, you can extend tricks described in "2.7.10. Porting a package to
the stable system" of Debian Reference.
*http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_porting_a_package_to_the_stable_syst em

*(This document assumes squeeze is already released since it is meant
*for squeeze release. We need to waitfor it. *But you get the idea.)

It is essentially:
# apt-get update # in sarge
# apt-get install fakeroot devscripts build-essential

$ apt-get build-dep foo # this is from lenny
$ apt-get source foo
$ cd foo*

Some basic packaging skill is needed. *So read old (lenny) version and
new (squeeze) version of maint-guide. *Newest vesion on the is on the

web:
*http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/index.en.html

If all these are too much, hire some one if it is for your work. *If it s your

privte system, think about upgrading to lenny.

*
I have to start it reading and trying out the things.. thanks for your help.
*
Regards
-RR
*

Osamu

Old 09-12-2010, 11:53 AM
"Jesús M. Navarro"

Hi, Ravy:

On Sunday 12 September 2010 11:12:54 Ravi Roy wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 12:58:15PM +0530, Ravi Roy wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > Could somebody help me as how to port pacakges between distributions

[...]

> Thanks Osamu for your quick response. My product is running using debian
> 4.0 etch version in production enviornment and needs bug fix releases from
> time to time.. though effort is already started to migrate to debian 5.0
> lenny.

Of course I'm no one to tell you how to support your product but wouldn't it
be easier both from the technical standpoint and from the commercial one to
stick to the policy saying "my product will be supported on a Debian version
for as long as that version is supported by Debian itself"?

I think that's a clear and understandable policy for the user, easy to track,
since Debian development is fully publicly avaliable, and with enough
maneouvre time, since there's one support year from a version being declared
Stable and the time support is dropped for the last but one on which to plan
a migration (i.e.: you knew Etch support was to be dropped by 14/FEB/2010
since 14/FEB/2009 and you already know Lenny support will be dropped around
the last quarter of 2011)?

Cheers.