Old 09-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Doug

Default su?

Tried to run a program from command line needing admin
capability.

Input su /usr/sbin/synaptic

Get message Unknown id: /usr/sbin/synaptic

Logged in as root, put in password, ran
/usr/sbin/synaptic

and the file ran fine.

Is there no su in Debian? If not what replaces it?

Now I need some kind of prefix to put in the icon properties
so that symantic will run in admin mode, otherwise it can't
download anything.

Thanx, doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley

Archive: 4C8BE860.7030707@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C8BE860.7030707@optonline.net

Old 09-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Hilco Wijbenga

On 11 September 2010 13:36, Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net> wrote:
> Is there no su in Debian? *If not what replaces it?

Yes there is. There's also 'man'. :-) Try 'man su' and you'll see you
need -c if you want to run a command. Maybe you are confused with
'sudo'?

Old 09-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Mihira Fernando

Tried to run a program from command line needing admin
capability.

Input su /usr/sbin/synaptic

Get message Unknown id: /usr/sbin/synaptic

Logged in as root, put in password, ran
/usr/sbin/synaptic

and the file ran fine.

Is there no su in Debian? If not what replaces it?

Now I need some kind of prefix to put in the icon properties
so that symantic will run in admin mode, otherwise it can't
download anything.

Thanx, doug

I think you've missed the -c parameter.
Try :
su -c /usr/sbin/synaptic

Archive: 4C8BEAC4.8090104@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C8BEAC4.8090104@gmail.com

Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Chris Jackson

Doug wrote:

Tried to run a program from command line needing admin
capability.

Input su /usr/sbin/synaptic

Get message Unknown id: /usr/sbin/synaptic

Logged in as root, put in password, ran
/usr/sbin/synaptic

and the file ran fine.

Is there no su in Debian? If not what replaces it?

/bin/su is in the login package.

If you want to supply a command to it, rather than run a shell, you need

su -c <command>

su <something> tries to change to user <something> and run a shell (man
su for details).

--
Chris Jackson
Shadowcat Systems Ltd.

Archive: 4C8BEB08.9060208@shadowcat.co.uk">http://lists.debian.org/4C8BEB08.9060208@shadowcat.co.uk

Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 PM
David Jardine

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 04:36:48PM -0400, Doug wrote:
> Tried to run a program from command line needing admin
> capability.
>
> Input su /usr/sbin/synaptic
>
> Get message Unknown id: /usr/sbin/synaptic
>
> Logged in as root, put in password, ran
> /usr/sbin/synaptic
>
> and the file ran fine.
>
> Is there no su in Debian? If not what replaces it?
>
> Now I need some kind of prefix to put in the icon properties
> so that symantic will run in admin mode, otherwise it can't
> download anything.
>
> Thanx, doug

man su

But that's not what you want. Use sudo (more reading )

Old 09-13-2010, 02:12 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

David Jardine wrote:

Tried to run a program from command line needing admin
capability.

Input su /usr/sbin/synaptic

Get message Unknown id: /usr/sbin/synaptic

Logged in as root, put in password, ran
/usr/sbin/synaptic

and the file ran fine.

Is there no su in Debian? If not what replaces it?

Now I need some kind of prefix to put in the icon properties
so that symantic will run in admin mode, otherwise it can't
download anything.

Thanx, doug

man su

But that's not what you want. Use sudo (more reading )

That wouldn't be so bad if it was reading from a manual. But you are
reading from this funny screen that is hanging some distance in front of
you. So you zero in on that backlit panel while your back is killing you
all the while being grateful to technology for putting you into such a
numbing position...

Archive: i6lbh4$9vc$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i6lbh4$9vc$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 09-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Lisi

On Monday 13 September 2010 15:12:48 hugo vanwoerkom wrote:
> But you are
> reading from this funny screen that is hanging some distance in front of
> you. So you zero in on that backlit panel while your back is killing you
> all the while being grateful to technology for putting you into such a
> numbing position...

Is there a good reason why you cannot move one or more of: the screen, the
chair, yourself, the desk?

Lisi
(reading a screen around 15 or 20 cm away, slouching a bit so that the screen
is dead in front.)
Raising the screen would, of course, be a much better idea, but harder to
acieve. :-(