Old 09-11-2010, 09:21 AM
Merciadri Luca

Default Calibrating cartridges in CUPS: how?

Hi,

I remember that, many years ago, I had an HP utility under Windows which
allowed me to do several maintenance tasks on the printer: calibration,,
etc. Evidently, this utility is not available under Debian, and I was
looking for a CUPS solution to achieve these recurrent tasks. Is there a
solution?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:07 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 11/09/10 19:21, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I remember that, many years ago, I had an HP utility under Windows which
> allowed me to do several maintenance tasks on the printer: calibration,,
> etc. Evidently, this utility is not available under Debian, and I was
> looking for a CUPS solution to achieve these recurrent tasks. Is there a
> solution?
>
> Thanks.

I have two HP programs that default install under KDE 3.x which I'd love
to remove as I don't use them...
"hpijs" and "hplip"
The former is the one I suspect you're looking for -
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
The latter you may find useful -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Linux_Imaging_and_Printing

Let us know how it works out.

Cheers

Old 09-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 11:21:36 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> I remember that, many years ago, I had an HP utility under Windows which
> allowed me to do several maintenance tasks on the printer: calibration,,
> etc. Evidently, this utility is not available under Debian, and I was
> looking for a CUPS solution to achieve these recurrent tasks. Is there a
> solution?

Which printer exactly? Your mileage may vary a lot form one to other.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Merciadri Luca

Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 11:21:36 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

>> I remember that, many years ago, I had an HP utility under Windows which
>> allowed me to do several maintenance tasks on the printer: calibration,,
>> etc. Evidently, this utility is not available under Debian, and I was
>> looking for a CUPS solution to achieve these recurrent tasks. Is there a
>> solution?
>>

> Which printer exactly? Your mileage may vary a lot form one to other
I've got an HP Deskjet 990Cxi and a HP OfficeJet Pro L7590.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Merciadri Luca

Scott Ferguson wrote:
> On 11/09/10 19:21, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I remember that, many years ago, I had an HP utility under Windows which
>> allowed me to do several maintenance tasks on the printer: calibration,,
>> etc. Evidently, this utility is not available under Debian, and I was
>> looking for a CUPS solution to achieve these recurrent tasks. Is there a
>> solution?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> I have two HP programs that default install under KDE 3.x which I'd love
> to remove as I don't use them...
> "hpijs" and "hplip"
> The former is the one I suspect you're looking for -
> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/index.html
> The latter you may find useful -
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Linux_Imaging_and_Printing
>
> Let us know how it works out.

Thanks. I think that it will solve the problem.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Merciadri Luca

Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 11. 09. 2010 12:20:10 je Camaleón napisal(a):
>

>> Which printer exactly? Your mileage may vary a lot form one to other.
>>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> --
>> Camaleón
>
> Exactly. I have a hp all-in-one connected via its ethernet interface,
> and it has an elegant web interface (everything is configured through
> a web browser, just like with home routers and similar appliances).
> The best approach IMHO.

Well, this is what I have for my OfficeJet Pro L7590, but I'm more
concerned with the cleaning of my Deskjet 990cxi, which is evidently not
an ethernet printer.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Something is better than nothing.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 12:26:37 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 11:21:36 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>>

>>> I remember that, many years ago, I had an HP utility under Windows
>>> which allowed me to do several maintenance tasks on the printer:
>>> calibration,, etc. Evidently, this utility is not available under
>>> Debian, and I was looking for a CUPS solution to achieve these
>>> recurrent tasks. Is there a solution?
>>>

>> Which printer exactly? Your mileage may vary a lot form one to other
> I've got an HP Deskjet 990Cxi and a HP OfficeJet Pro L7590.

You can use HPLIP then, as Scott suggested. The above links tell about
the driver capabilities for each printer:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/deskjet/deskjet_990c.html
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/officejet/officejet_pro_l7500.html

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Klistvud

Dne, 11. 09. 2010 12:20:10 je Camaleón napisal(a):

Which printer exactly? Your mileage may vary a lot form one to other.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Exactly. I have a hp all-in-one connected via its ethernet interface,
and it has an elegant web interface (everything is configured through a
web browser, just like with home routers and similar appliances). The
best approach IMHO.

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Please reply to the list, not to me.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:18 PM
Lisi

On Saturday 11 September 2010 11:07:27 Scott Ferguson wrote:
> I have two HP programs that default install under KDE 3.x which I'd love
> to remove as I don't use them...
> "hpijs" and "hplip"

So why don't you uninstall them? They install via aptitude, so will
presumably uninstall the same way. (I run KDE3 and install them when I want
them. Curiouser and curiouser...... )

Lisi

Old 09-12-2010, 12:13 AM
Scott Ferguson

On 12/09/10 06:18, Lisi wrote:
> On Saturday 11 September 2010 11:07:27 Scott Ferguson wrote:
>> I have two HP programs that default install under KDE 3.x which I'd love
>> to remove as I don't use them...
>> "hpijs" and "hplip"
> So why don't you uninstall them? They install via aptitude, so will
> presumably uninstall the same way. (I run KDE3 and install them when I want
> them. Curiouser and curiouser...... )
>
> Lisi

#apt-get -s remove hpijs hplip
Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
required:
libsensors3 libsnmp15 foomatic-db-gutenprint ijsgutenprint cupsddk
python-foomatic python-ipy python-imaging libijs-0.35 openprinting-ppds
cupsddk-drivers libperl5.10 libsnmp-base hplip-data
The following packages will be REMOVED:
foomatic-db-hpijs hpijs hplip printconf
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 4 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Remv printconf [0.7.9.1]
Remv foomatic-db-hpijs [20080211-1]
Remv hpijs [2.8.6.b-4]
Remv hplip [2.8.6.b-4]

Which would result in my Xerox Phaser no longer working.... :-(
Can't seem to install foomatic-db-gutenprint without dragging hpijs and
hplip with it. Solutions welcomed.
"They" don't install aptitude - though granted "they" could. I don't
install aptitude, or dselect, or tasksel... Never seen the point.

Cheers

--
did you ever see a drawing of a muchness?