Old 09-11-2010, 05:12 AM
Hartmut Niemann

Default How to debug a boot problem?

Hi!

I have debian testing on a SIS741 Athlon XP system,
Graphics is ATI 9250 (RV280) in case that gives a hint to somebody.

Kernel 2.6.30 runs fine.

Kernel 2.6.32 reaches
done.
Setting parameters of disc: (none)
Checking root file system...fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
Ursula-root: clean, ../.. files, ../.. blocks (I didn't write down the exact numbers)
done.
and stops.

How do I find out, why boot stops here? Where does it stop?
How can I find out what the next step which hangs the system is?
Could the new dependency based boot be the culprit?
Or the kernel based mode setting?
As far as I remember both were new in this kernel?
What do you suggest to try next?

With best regards
Hartmut

Old 09-12-2010, 02:27 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 07:12:39 +0200, Hartmut Niemann wrote:

> I have debian testing on a SIS741 Athlon XP system, Graphics is ATI 9250
> (RV280) in case that gives a hint to somebody.
>
> Kernel 2.6.30 runs fine.
>
> Kernel 2.6.32 reaches
> done.
> Setting parameters of disc: (none)
> Checking root file system...fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
> Ursula-root: clean, ../.. files, ../.. blocks (I didn't write
> down the exact numbers) done.
> and stops.

Can you send a snapshot of the whole screen when it stops? Those messages
excerpts look a bit cryptic...

> How do I find out, why boot stops here? Where does it stop? How can I
> find out what the next step which hangs the system is? Could the new
> dependency based boot be the culprit? Or the kernel based mode setting?
> As far as I remember both were new in this kernel? What do you suggest
> to try next?

If the kernel does not boot at all (no disk activity, no ssh login
available) and you cannot even get into single user mode (by passing
"init=/bin/bash" to the kernel at boot screen) then you may use
"netconsole¹" or "serial-console²" to get further info :-?

¹http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt
²http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/serial-console.txt

Greetings,

--