Old 09-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Adam Hardy

Default xine/xfmedia unable to play dvds

I don't know when it happened but I have done something to my system that stops
it playing DVDs.

xine pops up a message saying that "source seems encrypted and can't be read"

I haven't done anything to the PC config recently except install updates for lenny.

I de-installed and purged the config for xine-ui and for libdvdcss2 and
re-installed them to no avail.

Has anybody got any advice?

Thanks
Adam

Archive: 4C8ACE2B.2030206@cyberspaceroad.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C8ACE2B.2030206@cyberspaceroad.com

Old 09-11-2010, 09:17 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 01:32:43 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:

> I don't know when it happened but I have done something to my system
> that stops it playing DVDs.
>
> xine pops up a message saying that "source seems encrypted and can't be
> read"
>
> I haven't done anything to the PC config recently except install updates
> for lenny.
>
> I de-installed and purged the config for xine-ui and for libdvdcss2 and
> re-installed them to no avail.
>
> Has anybody got any advice?

Have you tested it with another DVD media and (just in case) using
another multimedia player?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Adam Hardy

I don't know when it happened but I have done something to my system
that stops it playing DVDs.

xine pops up a message saying that "source seems encrypted and can't be
read"

I haven't done anything to the PC config recently except install updates
for lenny.

I de-installed and purged the config for xine-ui and for libdvdcss2 and
re-installed them to no avail.

Has anybody got any advice?

Have you tested it with another DVD media and (just in case) using
another multimedia player?

Yes. I have a DVD that is unprotected and that plays fine.

I got a ton of errors from mplayer but I'm not sure I ever got mplayer to play
DVDs.

I should think it's not actually xine itself causing the problem, but rather
something deeper in the media set-up.

In case it's relevant which it might not be, I am also seeing frequent problems
playing video in flash on youtube etc in iceweasel. I have to restart the
browser to fix it.

Adam

Archive: 4C8B5019.3050000@cyberspaceroad.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C8B5019.3050000@cyberspaceroad.com

Old 09-11-2010, 10:18 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 10:47:05 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:

> Camaleón on 11/09/10 10:17, wrote:

>> Have you tested it with another DVD media and (just in case) using
>> another multimedia player?
>
> Yes. I have a DVD that is unprotected and that plays fine.

Well, I was thinking in another DVD media with protection, of course.
Plain DVD should play just fine :-)

> I got a ton of errors from mplayer but I'm not sure I ever got mplayer
> to play DVDs.

Yes, it can.

> I should think it's not actually xine itself causing the problem, but
> rather something deeper in the media set-up.

Try to play protected DVD with another player that has its own
implementation of libdvdcss2 (like VideoLan or SMPlayer) and see what
happens.

Also, you can try to load the offending DVD from console to get the error
output.

> In case it's relevant which it might not be, I am also seeing frequent
> problems playing video in flash on youtube etc in iceweasel. I have to
> restart the browser to fix it.

I see no connection with this :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-11-2010, 02:52 PM
hugo vanwoerkom

Adam Hardy wrote:
I don't know when it happened but I have done something to my system
that stops it playing DVDs.

xine pops up a message saying that "source seems encrypted and can't be
read"

When I got that message I installed libdvdcss2 and that solved the problem.

Hugo

Archive: i6g53v$s9a$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i6g53v$s9a$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 09-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Adam Hardy

I don't know when it happened but I have done something to my system
that stops it playing DVDs.

xine pops up a message saying that "source seems encrypted and can't
be read"

When I got that message I installed libdvdcss2 and that solved the problem.

I already had libdvdcss2 installed - in fact I removed it, purged it and
re-installed it but got no further.

I thought it might be something there in the packaging that had changed but I
never saw anything suspicious getting installed - at least as far as I remember.

Adam