Old 09-10-2010, 05:07 PM
Klistvud

Default Static(?) and squeeze's 2.6.32 kernel

Dne, 10. 09. 2010 18:11:36 je Kevin Anderson napisal(a):
I've had this problem with the 2.6.32 kernel ever since I compiled it
at
rc5. If I use my computer for an extended time, the computer's I/O
begins to
hang. If I shut down my laptop and start it again, the power LED and
fan
wake up for an instant, and then it shuts back down. It then tries to
start
itself again, but the same thing happens. This will go on and on
until I
intervene with a hard shut down. I can "fix" this problem by pulling
out the
battery and holding down the power button to release static. I'm not
sure
why this works, but it does. It only delays the problem, as after I
do this

and start using the laptop again, it will eventually happen again.

This has happened with Debian's 2.6.32 kernel, as well as Arch's
2.6.32 and
up kernels. The only distribution I've used that this doesn't happen
with is

Fedora. Any advice?

Make sure it's not your processor overheating. How hot is your laptop
when this happens?
If it's because of thermal issues, perhaps pulling out the battery
simply allows the laptop to dissipate heat better. A thermal shutdown
should also be recorded somewhere in the logs (syslog perhaps). You can
try to run the laptop in "powersave" mode, or enable your temperature
sensors at least (search for package lm-sensors) to see what's actually
happening.

I've never heard such symptoms as you describe might be due to 'static'.

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Please reply to the list, not to me.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Matthew Moore

On Friday September 10 2010 10:11:36 am Kevin Anderson wrote:
> I can "fix" this problem by
> pulling out the battery and holding down the power button to release
> static.

This sounds something a BOFH would tell you to do.

MM