FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-10-2010, 04:19 PM
"Elmer E. Dow"
 
Default Occasional random cursor movement while typing

When typing on my laptop, occasionally my cursor will skip back (up) a
few lines and I'll be entering text in the midst of text previously
entered. Sometimes I can't reproduce it, but this morning when typing
the word "we're" the cursor would jump up about three lines when I hit
the apostrophe (single quote " ' ") key. I deleted the text I
accidentally entered because of the problem, then retyped the word and
the cursor again jumped back to that same spot. It repeated three or for
times, then began to act normally.


It happened again typing this e-mail message. I was typing the word
"typing" and the cursor jumped up a couple of lines and started entering
text in the midst of the word "text."


What's happening here? My sleeve isn't touching the touchpad nor did I
bump the Trackpoint nor the mouse. I'm not accidentally hitting the
wrong key. The embedded 10-key pad isn't activated and the keys in
question aren't on that part of the keyboard anyway. The machine in
question is an IBM R40 laptop running Lenny. I have a triple-boot
system: two versions of Debian (I'm in Lenny now) and WinXP. I don't
r(it just jumped down the page two lines and to the left)ecall it
happening in XP, but I only use XP a few times per year. I think that it
happens in the other version of Debian (I think I've got Sarge there).
I'm assuming that this is not a keyboard issue. If it were, I would
think that the key would either enter properly or not, rather than enter
an improper character. Or is it a CPU going nuts? Is it (just did it
again when I typed the "t" in the previous word) a problem with X or a
the driver for the keyboard, mouse, etc.? This has been happening for
months. It's weird and frustrating. How can I diagnose this?



Elmer E. Dow


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4C8A5A96.1050606@att.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C8A5A96.1050606@att.net
 
Old 09-10-2010, 09:04 PM
Claudius Hubig
 
Default Occasional random cursor movement while typing

"Elmer E. Dow" <elmeredow@att.net> wrote:
>How can I diagnose this?

Most important: Which text editor are you using? Does it also happen
in, say, nano (a terminal program) or in a web browser when entering
text in a form field?

Best regards,

Claudius Hubig
--
This Fortune Examined By INSPECTOR NO. 2-14

http://chubig.net/



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: i6e6hk$pvh$3@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i6e6hk$pvh$3@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 09-10-2010, 10:38 PM
green
 
Default Occasional random cursor movement while typing

Elmer E. Dow wrote at 2010-09-10 11:19 -0500:
> It's weird and frustrating.

Yes, quite.

> How can I diagnose this?

Also, do you know if it ever happens outside of X, at a text console? I have
had dbus cause some weirdness, but only outside of X. I doubt it will help,
but you could try stopping dbus for a while to see if it makes any difference.
Be sure to check that all dbus processes have been stopped with something like
"pgrep -l dbus".
 
Old 09-11-2010, 01:16 AM
"Elmer E. Dow"
 
Default Occasional random cursor movement while typing

Claudius Hubig wrote:

"Elmer E. Dow" <elmeredow@att.net> wrote:


How can I diagnose this?



Most important: Which text editor are you using? Does it also harppen
in, say, nano (a terminal program) or in a web browser when entering
text in a form field?

Best regards,

Claudius Hubig


It happens in OpenOffice Writer and Calc, IceDove, FaceBook messages
and posting, Nano, Vi and probably some other programs that I'm
forgetting to list. It happens when in a te(just happened here when I
typed "r")rminal emulator, but I'm not sure if it happens when typing
in a terminal (alt-F1 to alt-F6). It appears to happen when I type an
"r" more often than some other letters. It happened when I was running
KDE and it's still happening now that I use IceWM and FluxBox.



Thanks for your interest and help in finding the problem.

*1

I just tried to sign off with my name and it kept skipping arou*nd when
I typed "r" and also would er(jumped to the asterisk marker position
above)ase a few let(jumped to *1 position above) ase a few letters
before like a backspace.



Any ideas? It seems to be getting worse.





Elmer E. Dow





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4C8AD87E.8020109@att.net
 
Old 09-11-2010, 01:28 AM
"Elmer E. Dow"
 
Default Occasional random cursor movement while typing

Elmer E. Dow wrote:



Claudius Hubig wrote:

"Elmer E. Dow" <elmeredow@att.net> wrote:


How can I diagnose this?



Most important: Which text editor are you using? Does it also harppen
in, say, nano (a terminal program) or in a web browser when entering
text in a form field?

Best regards,

Claudius Hubig


It happens in OpenOffice Writer and Calc, IceDove, FaceBook messages
and posting, Nano, Vi and probably some other programs that I'm
forgetting to list. It happens when in a te(just happened here when I
typed "r")rminal emulator, but I'm not sure if it happens when typing
in a terminal (alt-F1 to alt-F6). It appears to happen when I type an
"r" more often than some other letters. It happened when I was running
KDE and it's still happening now that I use IceWM and FluxBox.



Thanks for your interest and help in finding the problem.

*1

I just tried to sign off with my name and it kept skipping arou*nd when
I typed "r" and also would er(jumped to the asterisk marker position
above)ase a few let(jumped to *1 position above) ase a few letters
before like a backspace.



Any ideas? It seems to be getting worse.





Elmer E. Dow




I just ran Nano in a terminal (alt-F2) and it worked fine.



Elmer E. Dow





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4C8ADB5A.4010100@att.net
 
Old 09-11-2010, 02:07 AM
John Jason Jordan
 
Default Occasional random cursor movement while typing

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:19:34 -0500
"Elmer E. Dow" <elmeredow@att.net> dijo:

>What's happening here? My sleeve isn't touching the touchpad nor did I
>bump the Trackpoint nor the mouse.

I was plagued with the same thing. I finally found relief when I went
into the BIOS and disabled the touchpad. I use a bluetooth mouse
normally, but I left the trackpoint enabled in the BIOS for just in
case the mouse batteries die or something.

I know you are sure you have not touched the touchpad, but just for
kicks and grins, disable the touchpad in the BIOS and see what happens.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100910190742.4ae87634@mailhost.pdx.edu">http://lists.debian.org/20100910190742.4ae87634@mailhost.pdx.edu
 
Old 09-11-2010, 02:57 AM
Doug
 
Default Occasional random cursor movement while typing

On 9/10/2010 10:07 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:19:34 -0500
"Elmer E. Dow"<elmeredow@att.net> dijo:


What's happening here? My sleeve isn't touching the touchpad nor did I
bump the Trackpoint nor the mouse.

I was plagued with the same thing. I finally found relief when I went
into the BIOS and disabled the touchpad. I use a bluetooth mouse
normally, but I left the trackpoint enabled in the BIOS for just in
case the mouse batteries die or something.

I know you are sure you have not touched the touchpad, but just for
kicks and grins, disable the touchpad in the BIOS and see what happens.


In PcLOs, there's a setup where you can disable the touchpad when a
mouse is plugged in to the USB port. It's based around a synaptiks
package. I did not see the same thing in Debian Squeeze, altho there is
a setup that (supposedly) disables the touchpad while you are typing.
In a very quick look, I thought it didn't have enough delay to be really
useful. That is, the millisecond after you hit the last key, the pad is
active again. Perhaps there is a way to get that synaptics package into
Debian and use it. It works nicely--I'm using it right now. Since PcLOs
uses
KDE 4.4.5 (this version, anyway) and Debian uses Gnome, that may be why
the capability is missing.

--doug


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4C8AF036.3050108@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C8AF036.3050108@optonline.net
 
Old 09-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Doug
 
Default Occasional random cursor movement while typing

On 9/10/2010 10:57 PM, Doug wrote:
/snip/

In PcLOs, there's a setup where you can disable the touchpad when a
mouse is plugged in to the USB port. It's based around a synaptiks
package. I did not see the same thing in Debian Squeeze, altho there is
a setup that (supposedly) disables the touchpad while you are typing.

/snip/
It works nicely--I'm using it right now. Since PcLOs

uses > KDE 4.4.5 (this version, anyway) and Debian uses Gnome, that

may be why > the capability is missing.

--doug


Sorry for the deception--I have both programs, as well as
Debian--on this laptop, and I thought I was writing from Linux.
Not from Debian tho. Its mail setup is ferblunget, and I haven't
gotten it to work. Why can't I have good old Thunderbird????

--doug
--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
A. M. Greeley


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4C8AF6B8.2070904@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C8AF6B8.2070904@optonline.net
 
Old 09-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Claudius Hubig
 
Default Occasional random cursor movement while typing

"Elmer E. Dow" <elmeredow@att.net> wrote:
>I just ran Nano in a terminal (alt-F2) and it worked fine.

A pity it doesn’t happen with nano in a terminal, otherwise you would
have had the option to switch keyboards…Did you try choosing a
different keyboard layout in X?

You could also have a look at the output of “xev” when these keys are
pressed.

Best regards,

Claudius Hubig

PS: Please, please, learn to quote:
http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
--
A man's house is his castle.
-- Sir Edward Coke

http://chubig.net/



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: i6fhtv$rl0$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i6fhtv$rl0$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 09-11-2010, 01:06 PM
green
 
Default Occasional random cursor movement while typing

Doug wrote at 2010-09-10 22:25 -0500:
> Why can't I have good old Thunderbird????

Icedove?
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:20 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org