Old 09-12-2010, 03:59 AM
"Elmer E. Dow"

Default Occasional random cursor movement while typing

Doug wrote:

On 9/10/2010 10:57 PM, Doug wrote:
/snip/

In PcLOs, there's a setup where you can disable the touchpad when a
mouse is plugged in to the USB port. It's based around a synaptiks
package. I did not see the same thing in Debian Squeeze, altho there is
a setup that (supposedly) disables the touchpad while you are typing.

/snip/
It works nicely--I'm using it right now. Since PcLOs

uses > KDE 4.4.5 (this version, anyway) and Debian uses Gnome, that

may be why > the capability is missing.

--doug

Sorry for the deception--I have both programs, as well as
Debian--on this laptop, and I thought I was writing from Linux.
Not from Debian tho. Its mail setup is ferblunget, and I haven't
gotten it to work. Why can't I have good old Thunderbird????

--doug
I turned off the touchpad, so now I have just the Trackpoint enabled. I
also have been disconnecting the laser mouse in order to eliminate
another variable. Since I could reproduce the problem in some cases, I
have a hard time believing that I'm accidentally hitting the touchpad
with my hand while typing. My lower thumb joint is the closest and I'd
have to deliberately rotate my hands in an uncomfortable position in
order to touch it while my hands are in a keyboarding position.

I got a real scare when saving the new BIOS settings and rebooting.
When X started to load and I got the screen with the "x" cursor in the
middle, it stopped loading X. I could move the cursor with the
Trackpoint, but I wasn't getting a usable screen. I hit
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and got a console, then re-entered "startx" and it
loaded up just fine. I assume that X needed to re-evaluate the landscape
after having the BIOS change. The errors listed were:

Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
(EE) Error compiling keymap (server 0)
(EE) XKB: Couldn't compile keymap

I hope that's the last that I'll see of that. Is there a config file
somewhere that I should edit?

By the way, I'm not currently using a gui login such as kdm, gdm or xdm.
The laptop just boots to a commandline, then I type "startx" and load
IceWM. Recently I've been test driving FluxBox.

I'll swap back and forth using the touchpad and see if I can figure out
exactly what's happening. It's working OK now, but I'm skeptical that
the simplest answer is the correct one.

Thanks for your help.

Elmer E. Dow

Archive: 4C8C5024.7020700@att.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C8C5024.7020700@att.net

Old 09-12-2010, 04:00 PM
"Elmer E. Dow"

I changed the BIOS back this morning to enable the touchpad again. So
far, no problems. We'll see how long this lasts.

Elmer E. Dow

Archive: 4C8CF906.1000003@att.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C8CF906.1000003@att.net

Old 09-14-2010, 12:32 AM
Bob Proulx

Elmer E. Dow wrote:
> When typing on my laptop, occasionally my cursor will skip back (up)
> a few lines and I'll be entering text in the midst of text
> What's happening here? My sleeve isn't touching the touchpad nor did
> I bump the Trackpoint nor the mouse. I'm not accidentally hitting

I am confident it is the touchpad. I have the same problem.
Disabling the touchpad will avoid the problem. Personally I did not
want to unconditionally disable the touchpad. I would use it more if
it were not for that annoying behavior.

The syndaemon gives me great relief and results.

$ apt-cache show xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
* It also provides a daemon to disable touchpad while typing at
the keyboard and thus avoid unwanted mouse movements (see
syndaemon(1)).

It detects keyboard activity and for a configurable time disables the
touchpad. When idle is detected it enables the touchpad.

I launch it like this (in my ~/.xsession file, but you would need more
than this there).

syndaemon -i 20 -K -p $HOME/var/run/syndaemon.pid -d

Bob

Old 09-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Nicolas BERCHER