Old 09-10-2010, 03:58 PM
John W Foster

Default Iceweasel blackout??

After a recent update that seed doomed from the start in my slightly
mixed Squeeze/(Sid for video card) system I noticed that Iceweasel
starts OK then a second after the browser opens a page, it goes black. I
can get it to show but only when I run the cursor over it with the
button pushed down. This does not happen with Chromium from Sid as well.
However I do not like Chromium, & prefer the weasel. I see others have
been having issues with Iceweasel as well. Any suggestions. I disabled a
lot of the features & addons but it did not stop the problem.
Thanks!
John

Old 09-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:58:08 -0500, John W Foster wrote:

> After a recent update that seed doomed from the start in my slightly
> mixed Squeeze/(Sid for video card) system I noticed that Iceweasel
> starts OK then a second after the browser opens a page, it goes black. I
> can get it to show but only when I run the cursor over it with the
> button pushed down. This does not happen with Chromium from Sid as well.
> However I do not like Chromium, & prefer the weasel. I see others have
> been having issues with Iceweasel as well. Any suggestions. I disabled a
> lot of the features & addons but it did not stop the problem. Thanks!

Did you try to start Iceweasel from an empty profile? Does the same
happen with Epiphany?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-15-2010, 02:15 PM
John W Foster

On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 09:03 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:58:08 -0500, John W Foster wrote:
>
> > After a recent update that seed doomed from the start in my slightly
> > mixed Squeeze/(Sid for video card) system I noticed that Iceweasel
> > starts OK then a second after the browser opens a page, it goes black. I
> > can get it to show but only when I run the cursor over it with the
> > button pushed down. This does not happen with Chromium from Sid as well.
> > However I do not like Chromium, & prefer the weasel. I see others have
> > been having issues with Iceweasel as well. Any suggestions. I disabled a
> > lot of the features & addons but it did not stop the problem. Thanks!
>
> Did you try to start Iceweasel from an empty profile? Does the same
> happen with Epiphany?
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

-------------------------
If by 'empty profile' you mean that I should clear the .iceweasel file &
start over...No. I can do that & will , however I see others are also
having some issues related to plugins & flash players & I suspect some
of my issues are also related to that. I will try this & post the
response.
Thanks!john

Old 09-15-2010, 03:12 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:15:50 -0500, John W Foster wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 09:03 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> Did you try to start Iceweasel from an empty profile? Does the same
>> happen with Epiphany?
>>
> If by 'empty profile' you mean that I should clear the .iceweasel file &
> start over...No. I can do that & will , however I see others are also
> having some issues related to plugins & flash players & I suspect some
> of my issues are also related to that. I will try this & post the
> response.

You can just "rename" your current profile, so you do not lose your
settings. Rename it and start Icewasel, it will auto-create and empty one.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-15-2010, 06:18 PM
John W Foster

On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 15:12 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 09:15:50 -0500, John W Foster wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2010-09-11 at 09:03 +0000, Camaleón wrote:
>
> >> Did you try to start Iceweasel from an empty profile? Does the same
> >> happen with Epiphany?
> >>
> > If by 'empty profile' you mean that I should clear the .iceweasel file &
> > start over...No. I can do that & will , however I see others are also
> > having some issues related to plugins & flash players & I suspect some
> > of my issues are also related to that. I will try this & post the
> > response.
>
> You can just "rename" your current profile, so you do not lose your
> settings. Rename it and start Icewasel, it will auto-create and empty one.
>
> Greetings,
>
> --
> Camaleón

-------------------------------------
odd but there was no .iceweasel only .mozilla... I decided to take the
nuclear approach & dekleted all of the browsers expect Ephiphany & all
the directories I.E a clean new install. Guess what the same problem is
still there in iceweasel only! NO plugins & no extensions just iceweasel
& mozplugger. Any other ideas??
Tks.
John

Old 09-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 15 Sep 2010 13:18:47 -0500, John W Foster wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-09-15 at 15:12 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> > If by 'empty profile' you mean that I should clear the .iceweasel
>> > file & start over...No. I can do that & will , however I see others
>> > are also having some issues related to plugins & flash players & I
>> > suspect some of my issues are also related to that. I will try this &
>> > post the response.
>>
>> You can just "rename" your current profile, so you do not lose your
>> settings. Rename it and start Icewasel, it will auto-create and empty
>> one.
>>

> odd but there was no .iceweasel only .mozilla...

Yes, "~/.mozilla" is where the user profile and files are located.
Renaming that folder should be enough to get a clean environment (no user
plugins, no settings... just the defaults).

> I decided to take the nuclear approach & dekleted all
> of the browsers expect Ephiphany & all the directories I.E a clean new
> install. Guess what the same problem is still there in iceweasel only!
> NO plugins & no extensions just iceweasel & mozplugger. Any other
> ideas??

Wow. Did you purge the package after removing it?

Anyway, you can try to launch the browser from command line to check for
any errors you may get :-?

Another test (if you are using 32 bits OS) could be downloading Firefox
directly form Mozilla site and run the upstream version (no installation
needed, just click and run).

Does Epiphany experiment the same behaviour? I don't remember if you
already say so...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón