Old 09-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Magicloud Magiclouds

Default May I have a document about manually preparing a Debian system?

Hi,
I mean from a non-Debian linux environment and an empty disk, and internet.
I'd like to try out reiser4 for root. I have compiled 2.6.35.4 with
reiser4 into .deb, and a disk with reiser4 filesystem.
Thanks.
--
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Old 09-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 05:38:14 -0400 (EDT), "Magic clouds" wrote:

> May I have a document about manually preparing a Debian system?

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual

or

http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/installmanual

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Magicloud Magiclouds

I am not quite sure. Is this the document for debian-installer? How if
I do not want to use a special "install disk"? Or you mean I have to
make an install disk myself?

--
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Old 09-11-2010, 02:16 PM
Stephen Powell

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 02:31:21 -0400 (EDT), "Magicloud Magiclouds" wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 05:38:14 -0400 (EDT), "Magicloud Magiclouds" wrote:
>>>
>>> May I have a document about manually preparing a Debian system?
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
>>
>> * or
>>
>> http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/installmanual
>
> I am not quite sure. Is this the document for debian-installer?

Yes, it is.

> How if
> I do not want to use a special "install disk"? Or you mean I have to
> make an install disk myself?

There are a number of different installation methods available. They
are described in the installation instructions. Use the one that
suits you best. What I usually do is take the "netboot" mini.iso
image and "burn" it to a CD-R. Then I boot from the CD. But there are
other alternatives. For example, you can make a bootable USB stick,
commonly called a "thumb drive", and boot from it. There are other
installation methods that allow the installer to be started from a
pre-existing Unix or Linux system, or from a Windows system. Years
ago, you could also create a bootable floppy disk and boot from a
floppy. But that installation method is no longer supported. Etch
is the last release that supported "boot floppy" installation. In
short, there's no substitute for reading the directions.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Magicloud Magiclouds

Customing d-i is so hard. Many things confused me on the documents.
Cannot I just start with debootstrap?

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2010 02:31:21 -0400 (EDT), "Magicloud Magiclouds" wrote:

>>> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual
>>>
>>> * or
>>>
>>> http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/installmanual
>>
>> I am not quite sure. Is this the document for debian-installer?
>
> Yes, it is.
>>
>> How if
>> I do not want to use a special "install disk"? Or you mean I have to
>> make an install disk myself?
>
> There are a number of different installation methods available. *They
> are described in the installation instructions. *Use the one that
> suits you best. *What I usually do is take the "netboot" mini.iso
> image and "burn" it to a CD-R. *Then I boot from the CD. *But there are
> other alternatives. *For example, you can make a bootable USB stick,
> commonly called a "thumb drive", and boot from it. *There are other
> installation methods that allow the installer to be started from a
> pre-existing Unix or Linux system, or from a Windows system. *Years
> ago, you could also create a bootable floppy disk and boot from a
> floppy. *But that installation method is no longer supported. *Etch
> is the last release that supported "boot floppy" installation. *In
> short, there's no substitute for reading the directions.
>
> --
> *.'`. * * Stephen Powell
> *: :' *:
> *`. `'`
> * `-

竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Old 09-20-2010, 02:05 PM
Stephen Powell

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 03:14:07 -0400 (EDT), Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
>>
>> There are a number of different installation methods available. *They
>> are described in the installation instructions. *Use the one that
>> suits you best. *What I usually do is take the "netboot" mini.iso
>> image and "burn" it to a CD-R. *Then I boot from the CD. *But there are
>> other alternatives. *For example, you can make a bootable USB stick,
>> commonly called a "thumb drive", and boot from it. *There are other
>> installation methods that allow the installer to be started from a
>> pre-existing Unix or Linux system, or from a Windows system. *Years
>> ago, you could also create a bootable floppy disk and boot from a
>> floppy. *But that installation method is no longer supported. *Etch
>> is the last release that supported "boot floppy" installation. *In
>> short, there's no substitute for reading the directions.
>
> Customing d-i is so hard. Many things confused me on the documents.
> Cannot I just start with debootstrap?

My reply to another one of your posts applies here also:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2010/09/msg02353.html

Why don't you just tell us exactly what you are trying to do?
And please stop top posting!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-24-2010, 07:50 AM
Magicloud Magiclouds

On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 03:14:07 -0400 (EDT), Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
>> On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> There are a number of different installation methods available. *They
>>> are described in the installation instructions. *Use the one that
>>> suits you best. *What I usually do is take the "netboot" mini.iso
>>> image and "burn" it to a CD-R. *Then I boot from the CD. *But there are
>>> other alternatives. *For example, you can make a bootable USB stick,
>>> commonly called a "thumb drive", and boot from it. *There are other
>>> installation methods that allow the installer to be started from a
>>> pre-existing Unix or Linux system, or from a Windows system. *Years
>>> ago, you could also create a bootable floppy disk and boot from a
>>> floppy. *But that installation method is no longer supported. *Etch
>>> is the last release that supported "boot floppy" installation. *In
>>> short, there's no substitute for reading the directions.
>>
>> Customing d-i is so hard. Many things confused me on the documents.
>> Cannot I just start with debootstrap?
>
> My reply to another one of your posts applies here also:
>
> * http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2010/09/msg02353.html
>
> Why don't you just tell us exactly what you are trying to do?
> And please stop top posting!
>
> * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting
>
> --
> *.'`. * * Stephen Powell
> *: :' *:
> *`. `'`
> * `-

Sorry for that.
Anyway, I have tried a few things and things seem smooth till I cannot
`svn co svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk`.
With svn+ssh, I was asked for a password, which I have absolutely no
idea. Without +ssh, svn just hung there. I do not know what happened.
--
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞

Old 09-24-2010, 08:49 AM
Alberto Luaces

Magicloud Magiclouds writes:

> Anyway, I have tried a few things and things seem smooth till I cannot
> `svn co svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk`.
> With svn+ssh, I was asked for a password, which I have absolutely no
> idea. Without +ssh, svn just hung there. I do not know what happened.

svn+ssh access is for developers. For normal users, you should use

svn co svn://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk

as stated in http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/svn .

--
Alberto

Old 09-25-2010, 01:53 AM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 03:50:38 -0400 (EDT), Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
>>
>> Why don't you just tell us exactly what you are trying to do?
>
> I have tried a few things and things seem smooth till I cannot
> `svn co svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk`.
> With svn+ssh, I was asked for a password, which I have absolutely no
> idea. Without +ssh, svn just hung there. I do not know what happened.

That's not what I mean. Are you trying to install Debian? Is that
the end goal? If so, what's wrong with the standard Debian installer?
Why do you think you need to customize it? I've been installing and
using Debian for ten years, and I have never needed to create a
custom version of the Debian installer. What exactly are you trying
to do and why do you think that you need a customized version of the
Debian installer to do it?

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Magicloud Magiclouds

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 03:50:38 -0400 (EDT), Magicloud Magiclouds wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 20, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Why don't you just tell us exactly what you are trying to do?
>>
>> I have tried a few things and things seem smooth till I cannot
>> `svn co svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/d-i/trunk`.
>> With svn+ssh, I was asked for a password, which I have absolutely no
>> idea. Without +ssh, svn just hung there. I do not know what happened.
>
> That's not what I mean. *Are you trying to install Debian? *Is that
> the end goal? *If so, what's wrong with the standard Debian installer?
> Why do you think you need to customize it? *I've been installing and
> using Debian for ten years, and I have never needed to create a
> custom version of the Debian installer. *What exactly are you trying
> to do and why do you think that you need a customized version of the
> Debian installer to do it?
>
> --
> *.'`. * * Stephen Powell
> *: :' *:
> *`. `'`
> * `-

Normally, I use general d-i, too. But this time, I'd like to try out
reiser4 as root fs.
I do have other options, like building a new system within an existing
debian installation which supports reiser4. But just out of curiosity,
I think why learning about how to initialize an system and custom the
d-i tool the same time.

I'd have to say, the documents for this task is pretty rare besides
the few on wiki.debian.org. But glad to say I am on my way, just
without a guide.

--
竹密岂妨流水过
山高哪阻野云飞