Old 09-10-2010, 07:31 AM
"Farkas, Illes"

Default passwd strength (cmd line)

Hi,
Do you happen to know of a simple command-line utility checking the strength of a password that the user enters (by typing)? There are detailed forms online, for example this one:*http://www.passwordmeter.com/. But this works with plain http, not https, so why would users enter their passwords here. And even if it worked with https, I wouldn't be happy with someone receiving our passwords.

Thanks,Illes

Old 09-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Alberto Luaces

"Farkas, Illes" writes:

> Hi,
>
> Do you happen to know of a simple command-line utility checking the
> strength of a password that the user enters (by typing)? There are
> detailed forms online, for example this one:*http://
> www.passwordmeter.com/. But this works with plain http, not https, so
> why would users enter their passwords here. And even if it worked with
> https, I wouldn't be happy with someone receiving our passwords.

Not as a standalone program, but you have `libcrack2' in Debian. If you
don't want write a small program with it, aptitude reports that
`revelation', a GNOME password manager uses that library, so maybe you
can have a try.

--
Alberto

Old 09-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:31:13 +0200, Farkas, Illes wrote:

> Do you happen to know of a simple command-line utility checking the
> strength of a password that the user enters (by typing)? There are
> detailed forms online, for example this one:
> http://www.passwordmeter.com/. But this works with plain http, not
> https, so why would users enter their passwords here. And even if it
> worked with https, I wouldn't be happy with someone receiving our
> passwords.

There is "passwdqc" for Squeeze/Sid.

***
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/passwdqc

password strength checking and policy enforcement toolset
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón