Old 09-10-2010, 05:59 AM
Doug

Default new squeeze-again

Trying to install. I come to the partitioner. It says there is 261 GB
available. (This is empty, unpartitioned and unformatted space, left
over after cloning drive from a smaller one.) On-screen instructions say

[!!] Partition disks

The maximum size for this partition is 261.6 GB

Hint: "max" can be used as a shortcut to specify the maximum size, or
enter a percentage (e.g. "20%") to use that percentage of the
maximum size.

I try to enter 30 GB <Continue> and get "invalid size <go back>"
so I go back, then I try to enter 15% and get the same answer.

What now? (Max is not an option.)

tia--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley

Archive: 4C89C927.5000407@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C89C927.5000407@optonline.net

Old 09-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Joao Ferreira gmail

On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 01:59 -0400, Doug wrote:
> Trying to install. I come to the partitioner. It says there is 261 GB
> available. (This is empty, unpartitioned and unformatted space, left
> over after cloning drive from a smaller one.) On-screen instructions say
>
> [!!] Partition disks
>
> The maximum size for this partition is 261.6 GB
>
> Hint: "max" can be used as a shortcut to specify the maximum size, or
> enter a percentage (e.g. "20%") to use that percentage of the
> maximum size.
>
> I try to enter 30 GB <Continue> and get "invalid size <go back>"
> so I go back, then I try to enter 15% and get the same answer.
>
> What now? (Max is not an option.)

this never happened to me... can you take some pictures and publish them
on some server... I'dd like to see that problem...

also the screen with the list of partitions and filesystems found...

it's strange...

Old 09-10-2010, 12:22 PM
Rob Owens

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:32:20AM +0100, Joao Ferreira gmail wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-10 at 01:59 -0400, Doug wrote:
> > Trying to install. I come to the partitioner. It says there is 261 GB
> > available. (This is empty, unpartitioned and unformatted space, left
> > over after cloning drive from a smaller one.) On-screen instructions say
> >
> > [!!] Partition disks
> >
> > The maximum size for this partition is 261.6 GB
> >
> > Hint: "max" can be used as a shortcut to specify the maximum size, or
> > enter a percentage (e.g. "20%") to use that percentage of the
> > maximum size.
> >
> > I try to enter 30 GB <Continue> and get "invalid size <go back>"
> > so I go back, then I try to enter 15% and get the same answer.
> >
> > What now? (Max is not an option.)
>
> this never happened to me... can you take some pictures and publish them
> on some server... I'dd like to see that problem...
>
> also the screen with the list of partitions and filesystems found...
>
> it's strange...

Could it be that he already has 4 primary partitions on his disk? If
this is the case, he won't be able to create another partition no matter
how much free space is available.

-Rob

Old 09-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Doug

On 9/10/2010 8:22 AM, Rob Owens wrote:

[...]

The partition table (fdisk -l from PcLOs):

Device Start End.....(Blocks)....Id System

/dev/sda1 1 3961 7 NTFS
/dev sda2 3962 7113 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 3962 5529 83 Linux
/dev sda6 5530 5715 82 Linux swap/Solaris
/dev/sda7 5716 7113 83 Linux

(block sizes deleted)

Seems to me that sda5, sda6, sda7 are all on the extended partition
sda2, but maybe I've got it wrong? If I'm correct, as would seem to

be the case based on the start/end numbers, then what else am I
doing wrong? Do I have to separately create a partition to put the
new system on? I thought that squeeze would create it itself.

--doug

PS to the responder who asked for pictures--I don't know how to copy
a screen from an installation disk, and I have no place to put the
result anyway. I thought my printed explanation was clear, was it not?
--

Archive: 4C8A79C8.40807@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C8A79C8.40807@optonline.net

Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 PM
Rob Owens

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 02:32:40PM -0400, Doug wrote:
> On 9/10/2010 8:22 AM, Rob Owens wrote:

>>> this never happened to me... can you take some pictures and publish them
>>> on some server... I'dd like to see that problem...
>>>
>>> also the screen with the list of partitions and filesystems found...
>>>
>>> it's strange...
>>>
>> Could it be that he already has 4 primary partitions on his disk? If
>> this is the case, he won't be able to create another partition no matter
>> how much free space is available.
>>
>> -Rob
>
> The partition table (fdisk -l from PcLOs):
>
> Device Start End.....(Blocks)....Id System
>
> /dev/sda1 1 3961 7 NTFS
> /dev sda2 3962 7113 5 Extended
> /dev/sda5 3962 5529 83 Linux
> /dev sda6 5530 5715 82 Linux swap/Solaris
> /dev/sda7 5716 7113 83 Linux
>
> (block sizes deleted)
>
> Seems to me that sda5, sda6, sda7 are all on the extended partition
> sda2, but maybe I've got it wrong? If I'm correct, as would seem to
> be the case based on the start/end numbers, then what else am I
> doing wrong? Do I have to separately create a partition to put the
> new system on? I thought that squeeze would create it itself.

Looks like you should have room for another primary partition. I don't
know why your machine is giving you trouble, but as a workaround maybe
you should try using gparted or fdisk in one of your existing distros,
and create a partition that you can use for the Squeeze installation.

-Rob