Old 09-10-2010, 02:58 AM
Rick Pasotto

Default where did my ata drives go?

Last weekend I did a bunch of updates (to testing) and rebooted after
almost six months.

Somewhere in that process the ata drive got UUIDs assigned to the
partitions and /etc/fstab was modified.

Now they won't mount.

I used to mount /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb5 but those don't exist anymore.
Using tune2fs I can access them as /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc5. The UUIDs
match what got written to /etc/fstab. I was able to assign labels to
them using tune2fs but they still refuse to mount.

How can I access those partitions?

--
Thus, there is not a single ill afflicting the nation for which
the government has not voluntarily made itself responsible. Is it

Old 09-10-2010, 07:59 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:58:30 -0400, Rick Pasotto wrote:

> Last weekend I did a bunch of updates (to testing) and rebooted after
> almost six months.
>
> Somewhere in that process the ata drive got UUIDs assigned to the
> partitions and /etc/fstab was modified.
>
> Now they won't mount.

(...)

What is the content of your "/etc/fstab" file?
→ cat /etc/fstab

What are the ID/UUID/LABEL of the partitions?
→ ls -l /dev/disk/*

And what error are you getting when performing a manual mount of the
devices? (*careful* with mount point "/mnt", adjust it to your needs)
→ mount /dev/sdc5 /mnt

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-10-2010, 09:41 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Jo, 09 sep 10, 22:58:30, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> Last weekend I did a bunch of updates (to testing) and rebooted after
> almost six months.
>
> Somewhere in that process the ata drive got UUIDs assigned to the
> partitions and /etc/fstab was modified.
>
> Now they won't mount.
>
> I used to mount /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb5 but those don't exist anymore.
> Using tune2fs I can access them as /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc5. The UUIDs
> match what got written to /etc/fstab. I was able to assign labels to
> them using tune2fs but they still refuse to mount.

You just mentioned they are available as /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc5. How
are you trying to mount them?

Regards,
Andrei

Old 09-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Stephen Powell

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:58:30 -0400 (EDT), Rick Pasotto wrote:

> Last weekend I did a bunch of updates (to testing) and rebooted after
> almost six months.

You really should upgrade more often than that when running testing.

> Somewhere in that process the ata drive got UUIDs assigned to the
> partitions and /etc/fstab was modified.

I suspect what happened is a migration from kernel 2.6.32-3-xxx
to kernel 2.6.32-5-xxx, which installs linux-base, which tries to
convert system files such as /etc/fstab,
/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume, and other system files
to use UUIDs whenever possible, rather than /dev/hdax references.
The UUIDs were already assigned to the partitions. The partitions
just weren't being mounted by UUID, they were being mounted by
device name. Now they are mounted by UUID.

> Now they won't mount.

Yes, they are still being mounted. They just have different device
names now. That is due to a change in device drivers between the
2.6.32-3-xxx kernel and the 2.6.32-5-xxx kernel. The 2.6.32-3-xxx
kernel uses the traditional driver for traditional IDE hard disks,
also known as ATA (AT attachment) or PATA (parallel AT attachment).
This driver uses device names of the form /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, etc.
The 2.6.32-5-xxx kernel uses a newer driver for these disks which
uses SCSI emulation. The newer driver uses SCSI (Small Computer
System Interface) device names even for PATA disk drives. Thus,
the device names are called /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc. It's a
different naming convention for the same drives.

> I used to mount /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb5 but those don't exist anymore.

Right. As I explained above. But it you were to boot your
old kernel, the 2.6.32-3 kernel, you would see the old device
names re-appear again. The reason that linux-base tries to
migrate system files such as /etc/fstab to UUID-based mounting
is so that the mount will succeed regardless of which kernel you
boot.

> Using tune2fs I can access them as /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc5. The UUIDs
> match what got written to /etc/fstab. I was able to assign labels to
> them using tune2fs but they still refuse to mount.

Not by their old names, no. The devices have different names
under the new kernel.

> How can I access those partitions?

You already are accessing them, but with different names now.
You haven't lost any data.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-10-2010, 02:53 PM
Rick Pasotto

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 09:54:38AM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:58:30 -0400 (EDT), Rick Pasotto wrote:
> >
> > Last weekend I did a bunch of updates (to testing) and rebooted after
> > almost six months.
>
> You really should upgrade more often than that when running testing.
>
> > Somewhere in that process the ata drive got UUIDs assigned to the
> > partitions and /etc/fstab was modified.
>
> I suspect what happened is a migration from kernel 2.6.32-3-xxx
> to kernel 2.6.32-5-xxx, which installs linux-base, which tries to
> convert system files such as /etc/fstab,
> /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume, and other system files
> to use UUIDs whenever possible, rather than /dev/hdax references.
> The UUIDs were already assigned to the partitions. The partitions
> just weren't being mounted by UUID, they were being mounted by
> device name. Now they are mounted by UUID.
>
> > Now they won't mount.
>
> Yes, they are still being mounted.

No, they are not! They do not show up with 'df'.

> They just have different device names now. That is due to a change in
> device drivers between the 2.6.32-3-xxx kernel and the 2.6.32-5-xxx
> kernel. The 2.6.32-3-xxx kernel uses the traditional driver for
> traditional IDE hard disks, also known as ATA (AT attachment) or PATA
> (parallel AT attachment). This driver uses device names of the form
> /dev/hda, /dev/hdb, etc. The 2.6.32-5-xxx kernel uses a newer driver
> for these disks which uses SCSI emulation. The newer driver uses SCSI
> (Small Computer System Interface) device names even for PATA disk
> drives. Thus, the device names are called /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, etc.
> It's a different naming convention for the same drives.

Yes, I now remember that message coming through when I installed the
latest kernel.

> > I used to mount /dev/hdb1 and /dev/hdb5 but those don't exist
> > anymore.
>
> Right. As I explained above. But it you were to boot your old
> kernel, the 2.6.32-3 kernel, you would see the old device names
> re-appear again. The reason that linux-base tries to migrate system
> files such as /etc/fstab to UUID-based mounting is so that the mount
> will succeed regardless of which kernel you boot.

Haven't tried that yet, but I will.

> > Using tune2fs I can access them as /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc5. The
> > UUIDs match what got written to /etc/fstab. I was able to assign
> > labels to them using tune2fs but they still refuse to mount.
>
> Not by their old names, no. The devices have different names under
> the new kernel.
>
> > How can I access those partitions?
>
> You already are accessing them, but with different names now. You
> haven't lost any data.

The original line in /etc/fstab was:

/dev/hdb1 /hd0 ext3 defaults 0 0

That line got commented out and this line was added:

UUID=03c23684-dea8-458d-b04b-0ae8a056cb0d /hd0 ext3 defaults 0 0

Using tune2fs I added the label 'hdb1' and added this line to /etc/fstab:

LABEL=hdb1 /hd0 ext3 defaults 0 0

'mount /hd0' DOES NOT WORK! It gives this error message:

mount: special device LABEL=hdb1 does not exist

'tune2fs -l /dev/sdc1' gives:

tune2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
Filesystem volume name: hdb1
Last mounted on: <not available>
Filesystem UUID: 03c23684-dea8-458d-b04b-0ae8a056cb0d
Filesystem magic number: 0xEF53
Filesystem revision #: 1 (dynamic)
Filesystem features: has_journal filetype sparse_super large_file
Filesystem flags: signed_directory_hash
Default mount options: (none)
Filesystem state: clean
Errors behavior: Continue
Filesystem OS type: Linux
Inode count: 2443200
Block count: 4883752
Reserved block count: 244187
Free blocks: 627830
Free inodes: 2399380
First block: 0
Block size: 4096
Fragment size: 4096
Blocks per group: 32768
Fragments per group: 32768
Inodes per group: 16288
Inode blocks per group: 509
Last mount time: Mon Jul 19 11:40:39 2010
Last write time: Thu Sep 9 21:38:18 2010
Mount count: 90
Maximum mount count: 38
Last checked: Thu Jun 30 03:47:39 2005
Check interval: 15552000 (6 months)
Next check after: Tue Dec 27 02:47:39 2005
Reserved blocks uid: 0 (user root)
Reserved blocks gid: 0 (group root)
First inode: 11
Inode size: 128
Journal inode: 8
Journal backup: inode blocks

The label (volume name) is there. The UUID matches. I get the same
(non-)results whether I try mounting with the label or the UUID.

--
"Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake,"
said chess master Savielly Grigorievitch Tartakower.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:53:27 -0400 (EDT), Rick Pasotto wrote:
> The original line in /etc/fstab was:
>
> /dev/hdb1 /hd0 ext3 defaults 0 0
>
> That line got commented out and this line was added:
>
> UUID=03c23684-dea8-458d-b04b-0ae8a056cb0d /hd0 ext3 defaults 0 0
>
> Using tune2fs I added the label 'hdb1' and added this line to /etc/fstab:
>
> LABEL=hdb1 /hd0 ext3 defaults 0 0
>
> 'mount /hd0' DOES NOT WORK! It gives this error message:
>
> mount: special device LABEL=hdb1 does not exist
>
> 'tune2fs -l /dev/sdc1' gives:

> tune2fs 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
> Filesystem volume name: hdb1
> Last mounted on: <not available>
> Filesystem UUID: 03c23684-dea8-458d-b04b-0ae8a056cb0d
> Filesystem magic number: 0xEF53
> Filesystem revision #: 1 (dynamic)
> Filesystem features: has_journal filetype sparse_super large_file
> Filesystem flags: signed_directory_hash
> Default mount options: (none)
> Filesystem state: clean
> Errors behavior: Continue
> Filesystem OS type: Linux
> Inode count: 2443200
> Block count: 4883752
> Reserved block count: 244187
> Free blocks: 627830
> Free inodes: 2399380
> First block: 0
> Block size: 4096
> Fragment size: 4096
> Blocks per group: 32768
> Fragments per group: 32768
> Inodes per group: 16288
> Inode blocks per group: 509
> Last mount time: Mon Jul 19 11:40:39 2010
> Last write time: Thu Sep 9 21:38:18 2010
> Mount count: 90
> Maximum mount count: 38
> Last checked: Thu Jun 30 03:47:39 2005
> Check interval: 15552000 (6 months)
> Next check after: Tue Dec 27 02:47:39 2005
> Reserved blocks uid: 0 (user root)
> Reserved blocks gid: 0 (group root)
> First inode: 11
> Inode size: 128
> Journal inode: 8
> Journal backup: inode blocks
>
> The label (volume name) is there. The UUID matches. I get the same
> (non-)results whether I try mounting with the label or the UUID.

Hmm. I'm wondering about the mount point, /hd0. Maybe the mount
point doesn't exist. Issue the following command:

ls -Ald /hd0

What is the result? Do you get something like

steve@debian3:~$ ls -Ald /hd0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 10 2010 /hd0
steve@debian3:~$

Or do you get something like

steve@debian3:~$ ls -Ald /hd0
ls: cannot access /hd0: No such file or directory
steve@debian3:~$

If you get the latter, the partition is not being mounted because
the mount point does not exist, and Linux is giving you a misleading
error message.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-10-2010, 03:53 PM
Rick Pasotto

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:22:47AM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> Hmm. I'm wondering about the mount point, /hd0. Maybe the mount
> point doesn't exist. Issue the following command:
>
> ls -Ald /hd0
>
> What is the result? Do you get something like
>
> steve@debian3:~$ ls -Ald /hd0
> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 10 2010 /hd0
> steve@debian3:~$
>
> Or do you get something like
>
> steve@debian3:~$ ls -Ald /hd0
> ls: cannot access /hd0: No such file or directory
> steve@debian3:~$

niof:~# ls -Ald /hd0
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 2005-09-05 11:08 /hd0
niof:~# ls -a /hd0
. ..

Everything there looks as it should.

--
Under the species of Syndicalism and Fascism there appears for the first
time in Europe a type of man who does not want to give reasons or to be

Old 09-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:53:29 -0400 (EDT), Rick Pasotto wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:22:47AM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>
>> Hmm. I'm wondering about the mount point, /hd0. Maybe the mount
>> point doesn't exist. Issue the following command:
>>
>> ls -Ald /hd0
>>
>> What is the result? Do you get something like
>>
>> steve@debian3:~$ ls -Ald /hd0
>> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 10 2010 /hd0
>> steve@debian3:~$
>>
>> Or do you get something like
>>
>> steve@debian3:~$ ls -Ald /hd0
>> ls: cannot access /hd0: No such file or directory
>> steve@debian3:~$
>
> niof:~# ls -Ald /hd0
> drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 2005-09-05 11:08 /hd0
> niof:~# ls -a /hd0
> . ..
>
> Everything there looks as it should.

OK, good. What happens if, after the system has booted,
you issue a manual mount command as root, using the new device
name?

mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc1 /hd0

If that works, issue

umount /hd0
mount -t ext3 /dev/disk/by-uuid/03c23684-dea8-458d-b04b-0ae8a056cb0d /hd0

and see if that works. If that works, try

umount /hd0
mount -t ext3 /dev/disk/by-label/hdb1

then try

umount /hd0
mount -t ext3 UUID=03c23684-dea8-458d-b04b-0ae8a056cb0d /hd0

then try

umount /hd0
mount -t ext3 LABEL=hdb1 /hd0

Which of the above work, and which do not? What do you see when you issue

cat /proc/partitions

?

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 09-10-2010, 04:47 PM
Rick Pasotto

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:18:07PM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 11:53:29 -0400 (EDT), Rick Pasotto wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 11:22:47AM -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> >>
> >> Hmm. I'm wondering about the mount point, /hd0. Maybe the mount
> >> point doesn't exist. Issue the following command:
> >>
> >> ls -Ald /hd0
> >>
> >> What is the result? Do you get something like
> >>
> >> steve@debian3:~$ ls -Ald /hd0
> >> drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Feb 10 2010 /hd0
> >> steve@debian3:~$
> >>
> >> Or do you get something like
> >>
> >> steve@debian3:~$ ls -Ald /hd0
> >> ls: cannot access /hd0: No such file or directory
> >> steve@debian3:~$
> >
> > niof:~# ls -Ald /hd0
> > drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 4096 2005-09-05 11:08 /hd0
> > niof:~# ls -a /hd0
> > . ..
> >
> > Everything there looks as it should.
>
> OK, good. What happens if, after the system has booted,
> you issue a manual mount command as root, using the new device
> name?
>
> mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc1 /hd0

That works perfectly.

> If that works, issue
>
> umount /hd0
> mount -t ext3 /dev/disk/by-uuid/03c23684-dea8-458d-b04b-0ae8a056cb0d /hd0

mount: special device /dev/disk/by-uuid/03c23684-dea8-458d-b04b-0ae8a056cb0d does not exist

> and see if that works. If that works, try
>
> umount /hd0
> mount -t ext3 /dev/disk/by-label/hdb1

(assuming you inadvertanly left off the /hd0 from the mount command)

mount: special device /dev/disk/by-label/hdb1 does not exist

> then try
>
> umount /hd0
> mount -t ext3 UUID=03c23684-dea8-458d-b04b-0ae8a056cb0d /hd0

mount: special device UUID=03c23684-dea8-458d-b04b-0ae8a056cb0d does not exist

> then try
>
> umount /hd0
> mount -t ext3 LABEL=hdb1 /hd0

mount: special device LABEL=hdb1 does not exist

> Which of the above work, and which do not? What do you see when you issue
>
> cat /proc/partitions

8 0 244198584 sda
8 1 1951866 sda1
8 2 64260 sda2
8 3 2931862 sda3
8 4 239248012 sda4
8 16 976762584 sdb
8 17 976760001 sdb1
8 32 39082680 sdc
8 33 19535008 sdc1
8 34 1 sdc2
8 37 19535008 sdc5
8 48 244198584 sdd
8 49 244196001 sdd1
254 0 1048576 dm-0
254 1 20971520 dm-1
254 2 41943040 dm-2
254 3 125829120 dm-3
254 4 20971520 dm-4

That's how I found out about /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc5.

Would I be correct in thinking that hard coding /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc5
in /etc/fstab would not be reliable since those might point to different
devices on subsequent boots?

FWIW:

niof:~# apt-cache policy mount
mount:
Installed: 2.17.2-3.1
Candidate: 2.17.2-3.1
Version table:
*** 2.17.2-3.1 0
990 ftp://debian.uchicago.edu testing/main Packages
200 ftp://ftp.debian.org unstable/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Thanks for your help. At least I've now got a temporary work-around. A
permanent fix would be better.

--
"If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books
he reads." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 09-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Rick Pasotto

One other comment that might be relevant. I have an SATA drive connected
via USB that gets mounted automatically by LABEL. So, mounting by LABEL
*does* work, just not with that ata drive.

--
"...the capitalist system...of free markets and the private ownership
of the means of production, [is] an essential condition of the very