-   -   How to setup X fonts on Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/425021-how-setup-x-fonts-debian-gnu-linux-squeeze.html)

Csanyi Pal 09-09-2010 07:47 PM

How to setup X fonts on Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze?

Hi,

my system is Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze.

I have installed amongs others following fonts:
otf-freefont
ttf-freefont
ttf-unifont
xfonts-100dpi
xfonts-100dpi-transcoded
xfonts-75dpi
xfonts-75dpi-transcoded
xfonts-base
xfonts-biznet-100dpi
xfonts-biznet-75dpi
xfonts-biznet-base
xfonts-bolkhov-75dpi
xfonts-bolkhov-cp1251-75dpi
xfonts-bolkhov-cp1251-misc
xfonts-bolkhov-misc
xfonts-cyrillic
xfonts-encodings
xfonts-intl-european
xfonts-mathml
xfonts-scalable
ttf-bitstream-vera
ttf-dejavu
ttf-dejavu-core
ttf-dejavu-extra
ttf-liberation
ttf-lyx
ttf-opensymbol
ttf-sil-gentium
ttf-sil-gentium-basic
ttf-unifont

In Xorg.0.log i can find only following fonts loaded:
(==) FontPath set to:
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,
built-ins

On Squeeze there doesn't any xorg.conf needed and I want not use it, so
how can I setup font paths for installed fonts?

--
Regards, Paul Chany
http://www.debian.org

Javier Vasquez 09-09-2010 11:27 PM

On 9/9/10, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have installed amongs others following fonts:
> otf-freefont
> ttf-freefont
> ttf-unifont
> xfonts-100dpi
> xfonts-100dpi-transcoded
> xfonts-75dpi
> xfonts-75dpi-transcoded
> xfonts-base
> xfonts-biznet-100dpi
> xfonts-biznet-75dpi
> xfonts-biznet-base
> xfonts-bolkhov-75dpi
> xfonts-bolkhov-cp1251-75dpi
> xfonts-bolkhov-cp1251-misc
> xfonts-bolkhov-misc
> xfonts-cyrillic
> xfonts-encodings
> xfonts-intl-european
> xfonts-mathml
> xfonts-scalable
> ttf-bitstream-vera
> ttf-dejavu
> ttf-dejavu-core
> ttf-dejavu-extra
> ttf-liberation
> ttf-lyx
> ttf-opensymbol
> ttf-sil-gentium
> ttf-sil-gentium-basic
> ttf-unifont
>
> In Xorg.0.log i can find only following fonts loaded:
> (==) FontPath set to:
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic,
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
> /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,
> /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,
> built-ins
>
> On Squeeze there doesn't any xorg.conf needed and I want not use it, so
> how can I setup font paths for installed fonts?

How do you know you're missing fonts? I think /usr/share
fonts/X11/misc, should include most othe ones non 100* and 75*, while
most of the true type ones should be included under the defoma path.

Could you run "xlsfonts" under X, and see if you're missing any?

Other than that it depends, on debian I have no problems with fonts at
all, but on RH virtual machines at work, where I don't have root
access, and want terminus for example, I have in my .xinitrc:

fc-cache -fv
xset fp+ "/h/vasqueja/share/fonts/terminus"
xset fp+ "/h/vasqueja/share/fonts/artwiz"
xset fp rehash
fc-cache

For some applications "xset fp+ <font_path>" is enough, and for others
running fc-cache commands are enough. To make them work for all
applications I need both, :-)

--
Javier.

Morgan Gangwere 09-10-2010 01:11 AM

How to setup X fonts on Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze?

on Thu, 9 Sep 2010 17:27:42 -0600, Javier Vasquez <A...Q@mail.gmail.com>
attacked their terminal with
+On 9/9/10, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@Remember Kids, Dont Fullquote Emails!>
+> I have installed amongs others following fonts:
+> otf-freefont
+> ttf-freefont
+> ttf-unifont
+> xfonts-100dpi
[...]
+> xfonts-scalable
+> ttf-bitstream-vera
[...]
+> ttf-unifont
+>
+How do you know you're missing fonts? I think /usr/share
+fonts/X11/misc, should include most othe ones non 100* and 75*, while
+most of the true type ones should be included under the defoma path.

fonts in /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc/*.pcf.* are going to be ignored. By default.
By "design".

+Could you run "xlsfonts" under X, and see if you're missing any?

xlsfonts won't show the xfonts-* fonts until you fix something...

+fc-cache -fv

Should be enough...

HOWEVER... the problem is going to be a file called «no-bitmaps». it tells
fc-cache to /ignore/ binary fonts...

If you look at «/etc/fonts/conf.d/70-no-bitmaps.conf» you'll see the following:

-%<- 70-no-bitmaps.conf -%<-
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
<!-- Reject bitmap fonts -->
<selectfont>
<rejectfont>
<pattern>
</pattern>
</rejectfont>
</selectfont>
</fontconfig>
-%<- 70-no-bitmaps.conf -%<-

Its just a link to ../conf.avail/70-no-bitmaps.conf so you can safely delete
it. You can also /force/ bitmap fonts (xfonts) to show up by linking
70-force-bitmaps.conf into /etc/fonts/conf.d/ however you *dont* need to
because it won't ignore them anymore.

Make sure you remember to run fc-cache -fv as *root* in order to flush the
*system* cache. You /will/ have to restart your X environment in order for them
to show up.

--
Morgan Gangwere
Key ID A8B6F243, available from MIT.

Plate voltage too low on demodulator tube

Csanyi Pal 09-10-2010 05:50 AM

http://pastebin.com/wH4Ezzqn

> Other than that it depends, on debian I have no problems with fonts at
> all, but on RH virtual machines at work, where I don't have root
> access, and want terminus for example, I have in my .xinitrc:
>
> fc-cache -fv
> xset fp+ "/h/vasqueja/share/fonts/terminus"
> xset fp+ "/h/vasqueja/share/fonts/artwiz"
> xset fp rehash
> fc-cache

When I try to run command
xset fp+ "/usr/share/fonts/opentype/freefont"

then I get:
xset: bad font path element (#23), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax

so I must to run:
sudo mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/opentype/freefont

first and then to run again
xset fp+ "/usr/share/fonts/opentype/freefont"

Why? Is the installation of this font not enough?

Csanyi Pal 09-10-2010 07:13 AM

How to setup X fonts on Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze?

Javier Vasquez <j.e.vasquez.v@gmail.com> writes:

> On 9/9/10, Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have installed following fonts:
>> ..
>> ttf-dejavu
>> ttf-dejavu-core
>> ttf-dejavu-extra
>> ..

>> In Xorg.0.log i can find only following fonts loaded:
>> (==) FontPath set to:
>> /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,
>> /usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic,
>> /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,
>> /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,
>> /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,
>> /usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,
>> /usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,
>> /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,
>> built-ins

> How do you know you're missing fonts? I think /usr/share
> fonts/X11/misc, should include most othe ones non 100* and 75*, while
> most of the true type ones should be included under the defoma path.

I know because when I run my GNUstep application that I'm developing, I
get messages on xterm window:

2010-09-10 09:09:32.166 LPT_Interface[4226] The font specified for
NSMenuFont, Helvetica, can't be found.

2010-09-10 09:09:32.168 LPT_Interface[4226] The font specified for
NSBoldFont, Helvetica-Bold, can't be found.

2010-09-10 09:09:32.170 LPT_Interface[4226] The font specified for
NSFont, DejaVuSans, can't be found.

2010-09-10 09:09:32.196 LPT_Interface[4226] The font specified for
NSLabelFont, DejaVuSans, can't be found.

Why can't I see in Xorg.0.log file ttf-dejavu Fonts loaded, like a line:
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-dejavu ??

Camaleón 09-10-2010 07:23 AM

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:47:15 +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:

> my system is Debian GNU/Linux Squeeze.
>
> I have installed amongs others following fonts: otf-freefont

(...)

> On Squeeze there doesn't any xorg.conf needed and I want not use it, so
> how can I setup font paths for installed fonts?

Maybe this helps:

http://wiki.debian.org/Fonts

Greetings,

--