Old 09-09-2010, 07:13 PM
Atu

Default detect ethernet card?

I have a PC with built-in ethernet support. When I installed lenny, I didn't
have network connectivity (I didn't have my external networking hardware
yet), so I just chose "no network" to make the installer stop pestering me
about ethernet detection, updates and so on. The installation went fine.

Now I have all my networking hardware in place, and it works (tested with
another computer). I want to add network functionality to my lenny-PC, but I
can't bring eth0 up with "ifup eth0":

#ifup eth0
[...]
SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
Bind socket to interface: No such device
Failed to bring up eth0.
#

lspci -v sees the ethernet chip on the mainboard though. At least it tells me
the precise model number. I can load the kernel module ("e1000") for this
ethernet chip or not, the error message stays the same.

It's not a DNS problem, ping (to a numerical address) fails.

I tried googling, and there are plenty of occurences of this error message,
but on every single google link the problem is due to virtualization (VMWare
mostly). Whereas in my case there is no virtualization involved. It's root on
the console in my case. So google found nothing helpful.

How do I repeat the "install network" part of the installer?

I configured /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname and /etc/network/interfaces.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 PM
James Stuckey

I want to say that there's scripts that do stuff like this, but unfortunately I don't know exactly how to do this. Hopefully someone who does will speak up. I would like to know more about these scripts and what all they can do.

ciao
James S.

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/201009092113.40920.atucelulis@googlemail.com

Old 09-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:13:40 +0200, Atu wrote:

> Now I have all my networking hardware in place, and it works (tested
> with another computer). I want to add network functionality to my
> lenny-PC, but I can't bring eth0 up with "ifup eth0":
>
> #ifup eth0
> [...]
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device eth0: ERROR
> while getting interface flags: No such device Bind socket to interface:
> No such device Failed to bring up eth0.
> #

(...)

Try "/sbin/ifconfig" to check if the card is there.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Atu

On Thursday 09 September 2010 09:16:07 pm James Stuckey wrote:
> I want to say that there's scripts that do stuff like this, but
> unfortunately I don't know exactly how to do this. Hopefully someone who
> does will speak up. I would like to know more about these scripts and what
> all they can do.

Yes, I was hoping for a script called something
like "debian-installer-section-network" but there's no binary like that on my
machine.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Atu

On Thursday 09 September 2010 09:19:30 pm Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:13:40 +0200, Atu wrote:
> > Now I have all my networking hardware in place, and it works (tested
> > with another computer). I want to add network functionality to my
> > lenny-PC, but I can't bring eth0 up with "ifup eth0":
> >
> > #ifup eth0
> > [...]
> > SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> > eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device eth0: ERROR
> > while getting interface flags: No such device Bind socket to interface:
> > No such device Failed to bring up eth0.
> > #
>
> (...)
>
> Try "/sbin/ifconfig" to check if the card is there.

I tried and it isn't. I see "lo" but not "eth0".

Old 09-09-2010, 07:30 PM
James Zuelow

>> Try "/sbin/ifconfig" to check if the card is there.
>
> I tried and it isn't. I see "lo" but not "eth0".

What does `/sbin/ifconfig -a` show?

James Z

Old 09-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Patrick Ouellette

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 09:13:40PM +0200, Atu wrote:

> Now I have all my networking hardware in place, and it works (tested with
> another computer). I want to add network functionality to my lenny-PC, but I
> can't bring eth0 up with "ifup eth0":
>
> #ifup eth0
> [...]
> SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> Bind socket to interface: No such device
> Failed to bring up eth0.
> #
>
> lspci -v sees the ethernet chip on the mainboard though. At least it tells me
> the precise model number. I can load the kernel module ("e1000") for this
> ethernet chip or not, the error message stays the same.

It would be helpful to post the output of lspci -v (at least the part
with the ethernet chip information) and lsmod (so we can see what
modules are loaded).

--

Patrick Ouellette pat@flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net Amateur Radio: NE4PO

What kind of change have you been in the world today?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 PM
David Jardine

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 09:23:05PM +0200, Atu wrote:

> On Thursday 09 September 2010 09:16:07 pm James Stuckey wrote:
> > I want to say that there's scripts that do stuff like this, but
> > unfortunately I don't know exactly how to do this. Hopefully someone who
> > does will speak up. I would like to know more about these scripts and what
> > all they can do.
>
> Yes, I was hoping for a script called something
> like "debian-installer-section-network" but there's no binary like that on my
> machine.

$ dmesg|grep eth
might give you some indication.

$ lspci
should have the card on the list if it's recognized

$ /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
should also have some details

Cheers,
David

Old 09-10-2010, 12:30 AM
Atu

On Thursday 09 September 2010 10:56:39 pm David Jardine wrote:
> $ dmesg|grep eth
> might give you some indication.

I didn't see anything unusual in dmesg so far, though I didn't grep for eth.
I'll try that when I'm back at that machine in a few hours.

> $ lspci
> should have the card on the list if it's recognized

Yes, lspci -v lists the card. "Ethernet controller", manufacturer, model type.

> $ /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
> should also have some details

IIRC there was no 70* in /etc/udev/rules.d. Neither was there a 25* (which
popped up in google as solution for people with the same error message as
me). I'll have to check the 70* again though because I'm not totally sure.

Old 09-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Atu

On Thursday 09 September 2010 10:42:16 pm you wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 09:13:40PM +0200, Atu wrote:
> > Now I have all my networking hardware in place, and it works (tested with
> > another computer). I want to add network functionality to my lenny-PC,
> > but I can't bring eth0 up with "ifup eth0":
> >
> > #ifup eth0
> > [...]
> > SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> > eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> > eth0: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> > Bind socket to interface: No such device
> > Failed to bring up eth0.
> > #
> >
> > lspci -v sees the ethernet chip on the mainboard though. At least it
> > tells me the precise model number. I can load the kernel module ("e1000")
> > for this ethernet chip or not, the error message stays the same.
>
> It would be helpful to post the output of lspci -v (at least the part
> with the ethernet chip information) and lsmod (so we can see what
> modules are loaded).

I was afraid someone would ask. Since there's no internet on the PC, I'll have to type it all. Here goes (lspci -v):

00.19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connect
ion (rev 02)
Subsystem: Fujitsu Siemens Computers Device 1144
Memory at fc200000 (32-bit, non-prefecchable) [size=120K]
Memory at fc200000 (32-bit, non-prefecchable) [size=4K]
I/O ports at 1820 (size=32)
Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2
Capabilities: [d0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64 bit+ Queue=0/0
Enable-
Capabilities: [e0] PCIe advanced features <?>

As for lsmod, I don't have a screenshot to type here, but anyway it was a pretty long list, and I didn't see anything related to eth0. I noticed that e1000 (which I believe is the driver for this thing) is not loaded automatically, but whether that is loaded manually (modprobe e1000) or not, or e1000e instead, makes no difference to my problem.
If it is really important, I'll go back in a few hours and type the output of lsmod also.