Old 11-19-2007, 06:55 AM
"Mark Quitoriano"

Default debian ISO question

Hi,

im new to debian im looking which version should i download. i can see
the stable version is 4.0 but when i look for the ISO i only see
debian-4.0r1? is this the latest? or is it a release candidate?
another thing is im going to use deb for a web server? i just need to
get the disc 1 right(network installation is not an option for me
)?

Old 11-19-2007, 07:41 AM
gradetwo

4.0r1 means release 1 .Take easy ,just use it.
在 2007-11-19一的 15:55 +0800,Mark Quitoriano写道:

Old 11-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Jochen Schulz

Mark Quitoriano:

> im new to debian im looking which version should i download. i can see
> the stable version is 4.0 but when i look for the ISO i only see
> debian-4.0r1? is this the latest? or is it a release candidate?

No, the 'r' stands for "revision". When downloading an image, always
pick the highest revision. But if you already have an older revision
lying around, upgrading is easy, so you don't necessarily have to
download the newest version.

> another thing is im going to use deb for a web server? i just need to
> get the disc 1 right(network installation is not an option for me
> )?

Yep, disc 1 should contain almost or even everything you need.

J.
--
There is no justice in road accidents.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 11-19-2007, 08:43 AM
"Mark Quitoriano"

On Nov 19, 2007 5:24 PM, Jochen Schulz <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:
> Mark Quitoriano:
> >
> > im new to debian im looking which version should i download. i can see
> > the stable version is 4.0 but when i look for the ISO i only see
> > debian-4.0r1? is this the latest? or is it a release candidate?
>
> No, the 'r' stands for "revision". When downloading an image, always
> pick the highest revision. But if you already have an older revision
> lying around, upgrading is easy, so you don't necessarily have to
> download the newest version.
>
> > another thing is im going to use deb for a web server? i just need to
> > get the disc 1 right(network installation is not an option for me
> > )?
>
> Yep, disc 1 should contain almost or even everything you need.
>
> J.

ok great! thanks guys!

Old 11-19-2007, 09:14 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 05:43:10PM +0800, Mark Quitoriano wrote:

> > Yep, disc 1 should contain almost or even everything you need.
> >
> > J.
>
> ok great! thanks guys!

CD or DVD? The DVD will most certainly contain everything you need, but
for CDs you might also need #2. Search for your packages here:

http://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#search-for-package

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 11-21-2007, 01:55 AM
"s. keeling"

Mark Quitoriano <markquitoriano@gmail.com>:

> im new to debian im looking which version should i download. i can see
> the stable version is 4.0 but when i look for the ISO i only see
> debian-4.0r1? is this the latest? or is it a release candidate?

http://www.debian.org/CD/

"Latest official release of the "stable" CD images: 4.0 rev1."

> another thing is im going to use deb for a web server? i just need to
> get the disc 1 right(network installation is not an option for me
> )?

Assuming it's a web server, it'll eventually be networked, yes? Then,
you can add on anything CD1's missing from the repositories. Or is
this a standalone development server? You may need to pull down more
than CD1 somehow. Sneakernet from a friend with a fast connection?

Do you know about apt-cdrom? Since you're new to Debian, I recommend
wiki.debian.org for lots of great pointers.