Old 09-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Merciadri Luca

Default How to get rid of the websites' ads/flash ads, without loosing their (flash) content?

Hi,

There are sometimes some websites (such as news ones) which make an
extensive use of flash stuff. Amongst the animations, flash is sometimes
also used for ads, etc., and I don't like this. Are there any Iceweasel
tools which can detect these ads, or use a public DB to avoid displaying
these ads? Or is there any related solution?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Love is like war, Easy to start, Hard to end, Impossible to forget.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:42 PM
Kumar Appaiah

On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 08:26:46PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are sometimes some websites (such as news ones) which make an
> extensive use of flash stuff. Amongst the animations, flash is sometimes
> also used for ads, etc., and I don't like this. Are there any Iceweasel
> tools which can detect these ads, or use a public DB to avoid displaying
> these ads? Or is there any related solution?

Flashblock.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/

Kumar

Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 PM
rudu

There are sometimes some websites (such as news ones) which make an
extensive use of flash stuff. Amongst the animations, flash is sometimes
also used for ads, etc., and I don't like this. Are there any Iceweasel
tools which can detect these ads, or use a public DB to avoid displaying
these ads? Or is there any related solution?

Thanks.

Maybe this is what you're looking for :
http://adblockplus.org/en/

HTH
Jean-Marc

Archive: 4C892B2E.4040907@cegetel.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C892B2E.4040907@cegetel.net

Old 09-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Alex

Aak, I hit "reply" instead of "Reply All"...

I second the recomendation of AdBlock - on my slow internet connection, it makes many pages load literaly 10x faster.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Merciadri Luca

Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 08:26:46PM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There are sometimes some websites (such as news ones) which make an
>> extensive use of flash stuff. Amongst the animations, flash is sometimes
>> also used for ads, etc., and I don't like this. Are there any Iceweasel
>> tools which can detect these ads, or use a public DB to avoid displaying
>> these ads? Or is there any related solution?
>>

> Flashblock.

Thanks both. Well, I just tried AdBlock, and I got

==
Adblock Plus 1.2.2 could not be installed because it is not compatible
with Iceweasel 3.0.6
==

I'm running stable, and that's the problem (the min. version for Adblock
is Firefox 3.0.12). I'll try Flashblock, despite its pessimistic
approach (which pleases me).

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:38 AM
Alberto Luaces

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/adblock-plus

--
Alberto

Old 09-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Merciadri Luca

Alberto Luaces wrote:
> Merciadri Luca writes:
>

>> I'm running stable
>>

> http://packages.debian.org/lenny/adblock-plus

Thanks. Works like a charm. I was not aware that one was able to install
a naviguator's add-on by using aptitude/apt-get !

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Education is not the filling of a pail, but rather the lighting of a
fire. (William Butler Yeats)

Old 09-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Angus Hedger

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 20:26:46 +0200
Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There are sometimes some websites (such as news ones) which make an
> extensive use of flash stuff. Amongst the animations, flash is
> sometimes also used for ads, etc., and I don't like this. Are there
> any Iceweasel tools which can detect these ads, or use a public DB to
> avoid displaying these ads? Or is there any related solution?

I would also recommend using a good hosts file! This is the one I use
[1], I know its targets at windows, but it still blocks all major ad
networks etc.

> Thanks.

[1] http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Old 09-10-2010, 09:47 AM
Alberto Luaces

Merciadri Luca writes:

> Alberto Luaces wrote:
>> Merciadri Luca writes:
>>

>>> I'm running stable
>>>

>> http://packages.debian.org/lenny/adblock-plus
>>

> Thanks. Works like a charm. I was not aware that one was able to install
> a naviguator's add-on by using aptitude/apt-get !

Yes, it's wonderful When squeeze becomes the new stable, look for all
the xul-ext-* packages. In Lenny you don't have yet that unified naming,
so you'd have to dig a bit into the repositories.

--
Alberto

Old 09-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Klistvud

Dne, 10. 09. 2010 11:00:22 je Angus Hedger napisal(a):

I would also recommend using a good hosts file! This is the one I use
[1], I know its targets at windows, but it still blocks all major ad
networks etc.

[Targeted at squid users:]

Iceweasel being as slow as it is (at least on my system), I hate
overloading it with any additional plugins/blockers etc. Instead,
having squid installed on our home network, I took the following route:

http://phobienbuon.com/archives/181

Of course, if you just want to get rid of ads, installing squid may
sound like overkill. However, if squid is already installed anyway,
this approach is quite lightweight (if somewhat coarse). There's also a
tutorial to get rid of flash ads with squid:

http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-to-block-flash-videos-using-squid.html

Ah, and don't forget the 5 must-have FireFox add-ons:

http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com/#[[5%20Must-Have%20Firefox%20Add-ons]]

"The Ultimate Addon -- Pro Edition" sounds quite promising ;P

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

Please reply to the list, not to me.