Old 09-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Camaleón

Default making the web server also a dns server

On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:42:43 +0530, Siju George wrote:

(...)

> I mean if the NS record is configured on the nameserver itself how will
> the IP of the NS record be resolved before contacting the name server?

AFAIK, in your domain name settings, you can use the FQDN or the IP as
nameserver.

In your bind9 configuration file you have to point "ns1.livingwaters-
international.org" to your IP address.

I would suggest the use of a secondary DNS server from another company,
just in case yours goes off-line.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Siju George

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Sep 2010 22:42:43 +0530, Siju George wrote:
>
> (...)
>
>> I mean if the NS record is configured on the nameserver itself how will
>> the IP of the NS record be resolved before contacting the name server?
>
> AFAIK, in your domain name settings, you can use the FQDN or the IP as
> nameserver.
>
> In your bind9 configuration file you have to point "ns1.livingwaters-
> international.org" to your IP address.

Thank you so much for the reply so that means in the howto

http://langfeldt.net/DNS-HOWTO/BIND-9/DNS-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.2

$TTL 3D
@ IN SOA ns.linux.bogus. hostmaster.linux.bogus. (

in place of "ns.linux.bogus." i put "ns1.livingwaters-
international.org."

so what do I put in place of "hostmaster.linux.bogus." ?

thanks

--Siju

Old 09-10-2010, 07:17 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 03:13:26 +0530, Siju George wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> AFAIK, in your domain name settings, you can use the FQDN or the IP as
>> nameserver.
>>
>> In your bind9 configuration file you have to point "ns1.livingwaters-
>> international.org" to your IP address.
>>

> Thank you so much for the reply so that means in the howto
>
> http://langfeldt.net/DNS-HOWTO/BIND-9/DNS-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.2
>
> $TTL 3D
> @ IN SOA ns.linux.bogus. hostmaster.linux.bogus.
> (
>
> in place of "ns.linux.bogus." i put "ns1.livingwaters-
> international.org."
>
> so what do I put in place of "hostmaster.linux.bogus." ?

hostmaster.livingwaters-international.org.

Or whatever your e-mail address is ;-)

It is very well explained in the link you sent:

"Two things must be noted about the SOA record. ns.linux.bogus must be a
actual machine with a A record. It is not legal to have a CNAME record
for the machine mentioned in the SOA record. Its name need not be `ns',
it could be any legal host name. Next, hostmaster.linux.bogus should be
read as hostmaster@linux.bogus. This should be a mail alias, or a
mailbox, where the person(s) maintaining DNS should read mail frequently.
Any mail regarding the domain will be sent to the address listed here.
The name need not be `hostmaster', it can be your normal e-mail address,
but the e-mail address `hostmaster' is often expected to work as well."

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 09-10-2010, 08:53 AM

Le 14861ičme jour aprčs Epoch,
Siju George écrivait:

> Hi,
>
> I have registered a domain "livingwaters-international.org".
> *The website is currently running in google pages.

???

> I would like to know how I can change the website as well as the DNS
> server to a dedicated server I have.
>
> If I configure Bind9 as the DNS server I can configure the nameserver as
>
> ns1.livingwaters-international.org
>
> So when I configure the name server for
> "livingwaters-international.org" should I configure the IP address
> instead of "ns1.livingwaters-international.org" ?
>
> I mean if the NS record is configured on the nameserver itself how
> will the IP of the NS record be resolved before contacting the name
> server?

It is possible thanks to GLUE records. You must define your ns as a glue
record in your registrar config.