Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   Package Name Confusion (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/424800-package-name-confusion.html)

PRAKHAR gaur 09-09-2010 10:53 AM

Package Name Confusion
 
Hi,
I think I did not put the question properly.
The question is...
There is a package called as "kernel-devel" in Fedora, what is the equivalent one in Debian?

Any help would be appreciated,

Prakhar Gaur

Jordan Metzmeier 09-09-2010 12:39 PM

Package Name Confusion
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

On 09/09/2010 06:53 AM, PRAKHAR gaur wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I think I did not put the question properly.
> The question is...
> There is a package called as "kernel-devel" in Fedora, what is the equivalent one in Debian?
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
>
> Prakhar Gaur
>
>

Taking a guess at what that fedora package contains, I would say you are
looking for linux-headers-$(uname -r)

- --
Jordan Metzmeier

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iQIcBAEBCAAGBQJMiNV2AAoJEKj/C3qNthmTtGMQALnl9Py1ujAQ11bcsFPnIHjI
ESRZCocw2bYLvLMa5+6uH1UZy4hXiRogSCka/WtWXSb0XAGURNxHUlpjyFGTV7+w
IfWNEYril1+WfMRPjhpTswJlquY36gyspZzCttKuMU2msQZNLP myrg9MDgleJuTF
NmMbmrP22sXzLJM7FGaoRKIey1yuFchf+N9Gk+Gby8afgX+lZn HwO3prtxSrm1VQ
baOzVy/WcGBwgaI9kcqzaLx6TNb2aKaac96ju6MVC+e7kqqjO9qIXOE1P VTFMcsZ
9gpYvFcvXQu1Uo6O5F0O1ae8ejJQBNVyj9wzGlooh5CfqzV1ch mezYI6qUXqhAtW
n5luFuMdREO9kCgVfwiJR01+yiYclTfLYNHmCbgN0WXGyS+mrx 7EOihbNw9lClGn
4ij7nereerT5Mu/GiC/DnF4QCCxu8252w3wmFMBtthmt3D1/a+md2q6VfVhCRBrY
OVfmPbCmlN32Es+/aFtjnF1m4mzVOJpV+gblE8WVMw6qAeu1PgFVpfkTX4UW2cin
isFJh7iWL4tueE/Ym7lwHNEN9HZQYsSFt8iFlUG7XqhVTyszibY0LhyDCa/599TR
GzBkH/QjfGyaW5WgWS9yjxoLXjAn9xabyFNCRUBtG1Wo0frPko/7XOmraxv1s66E
wz7VNhqdKzwK1kB4TKNM
=n9Nk
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4C88D576.5040207@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C88D576.5040207@gmail.com

Johannes Wiedersich 09-09-2010 12:53 PM

Package Name Confusion
 
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Hi!

PRAKHAR gaur wrote:
> I think I did not put the question properly.
> The question is...
> There is a package called as "kernel-devel" in Fedora, what is the equivalent one in Debian?

Since most of us know more about debian than about fedora, it might be
helpful, if you could just tell us what you would like to do with that
package...

My guess is that its name would start with linux- (there are not only
linux kernels in debian). You could just search and check the
descriptions of these packages with aptitude.

HTH,
- --
Johannes

In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the
humble reasoning of a single individual.
- - Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer (1564-1642)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)

iEYEARECAAYFAkyI2NQACgkQC1NzPRl9qEXoQQCfc9KwQPh9+O LyVtzK0m3j+3Qm
0F8An1IVBJmfVm/eMTVZXQpx0tjMBHgc
=RsZn
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4C88D8D4.6030805@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de">http://lists.debian.org/4C88D8D4.6030805@physik.blm.tu-muenchen.de

Angus Hedger 09-09-2010 01:16 PM

Package Name Confusion
 
On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 16:23:00 +0530
PRAKHAR gaur <prakhar_aaidu16@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
> Hi,
> I think I did not put the question properly.
> The question is...
> There is a package called as "kernel-devel" in Fedora, what is the
> equivalent one in Debian?
>
> Any help would be appreciated,
>
> Prakhar Gaur
>

Looks a lot like the kernel headers, are you trying to build out of
tree kernel modules?

If you install the linux-headers-2.6-<arch> meta package (eg
linux-headers-2.6-amd64 or linux-headers-2.6-686 would be the most
common ones. see here [1] for all) you will automatically get the
correct newest kernel headers.

[1]
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=linux-headers-2.6-&searchon=names&suite=all&section=all

------
Regards,

Angus Hedger

Debian GNU/Linux User PGP Public Key 0xEE6A4B97

Jimmy Johnson 09-09-2010 08:38 PM

Package Name Confusion
 
PRAKHAR gaur wrote:

Hi,

I think I did not put the question properly.
The question is...
There is a package called as "kernel-devel" in Fedora, what is the equivalent one in Debian?

Any help would be appreciated,

Prakhar Gaur




Yes Prakhar, please tell us what you're wanting to do?

My guess is you are wanting to build a kernel?
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu lucid KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda11
Registered Linux User #380263


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4C8945AD.4000000@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C8945AD.4000000@gmail.com

PRAKHAR gaur 09-10-2010 07:39 AM

Package Name Confusion
 
--Forwarded Message Attachment--
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 13:38:05 -0700
From: field.engineer@gmail.com
To: prakhar_aaidu16@hotmail.com; debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Package Name Confusion

>Yes Prakhar, please tell us what you're wanting to do?
>My guess is you are wanting to build a kernel?

I am trying to use a tutorial at Linux.com to build a Kernel Module.
http://www.linux.com/learn/linux-career-center/23685-the-kernel-newbie-corner-your-first-loadable-kernel-module

The author mentions some development packages are needed, I got two of them "build-essentials" and "module-init-tools".
He mentions another package called as "kernel-devel" in Fedora. I wanted to know what is the similar package in Debian?

If this succeeds then there are more tutorials on building a Kernel, will move onto them.

Thanking you,
Prakhar

Stephen Powell 09-10-2010 02:07 PM

Package Name Confusion
 
On Fri, 10 Sep 2010 03:39:36 -0400 (EDT), Prakhar Gaur wrote:
> Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>> Yes Prakhar, please tell us what you're wanting to do?
>> My guess is you are wanting to build a kernel?
>
> I am trying to use a tutorial at Linux.com to build a Kernel Module.
> http://www.linux.com/learn/linux-career-center/23685-the-kernel-newbie-corner-your-first-loadable-kernel-module
>
> The author mentions some development packages are needed, I got two of them "build-essentials" and "module-init-tools".
> He mentions another package called as "kernel-devel" in Fedora. I wanted to know what is the similar package in Debian?
>
> If this succeeds then there are more tutorials on building a Kernel, will move onto them.

What you are trying to do is write a computer program which functions as a
Linux kernel module and package it as such for Debian GNU/Linux. This forum
is a forum for end users, not for creators and maintainers of Debian kernel
module packages. You are posting your question to the wrong forum. I
suggest that you post your question to debian-mentors@lists.debian.org.
The topic for debian-mentors is "Helping newbie developers". The topic
for debian-user is "Help and discussion among users of Debian".
You're on the wrong forum!

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 3884924.5992.1284127678012.JavaMail.root@md01.wow. synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/3884924.5992.1284127678012.JavaMail.root@md01.wow. synacor.com

Jimmy Johnson 09-10-2010 07:28 PM

Package Name Confusion
 
PRAKHAR gaur wrote:

--Forwarded Message Attachment--
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 13:38:05 -0700
From: field.engineer@gmail.com
To: prakhar_aaidu16@hotmail.com; debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Package Name Confusion



Yes Prakhar, please tell us what you're wanting to do?
My guess is you are wanting to build a kernel?


I am trying to use a tutorial at Linux.com to build a Kernel Module.
http://www.linux.com/learn/linux-career-center/23685-the-kernel-newbie-corner-your-first-loadable-kernel-module

The author mentions some development packages are needed, I got two of them "build-essentials" and "module-init-tools".
He mentions another package called as "kernel-devel" in Fedora. I wanted to know what is the similar package in Debian?

If this succeeds then there are more tutorials on building a Kernel, will move onto them.

Thanking you,
Prakhar



See if this helps: Building Kernel Modules With Module-Assistant On
Debian Lenny

www.linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2010-01-27-033-35-OS-DB-KN
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu Lucid and Trinity KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4C8A86DA.8090109@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C8A86DA.8090109@gmail.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:45 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.