Old 11-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Hendrik Boom

Default Problems posting with Pan.

Every now and then instead of posting, Pan tells me

There were problems with this post.
Warning: Unknown group "sci.physics.research"

It seems to be group-specific. Some groups I read are unknown, others
exits. I find it puzzling -- it has no trouble reading from that usenet
group.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:50 PM
"Rodney D. Myers"

Every now and then instead of posting, Pan tells me

There were problems with this post.
Warning: Unknown group "sci.physics.research"

It seems to be group-specific. Some groups I read are unknown, others
exits. I find it puzzling -- it has no trouble reading from that
usenet

group.

Which news server are you using? have you checked to make sure it is
still valid?

---
Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers@anzavalley.net>
ICQ#: AIM#: YAHOO:
18002350 mailman452 mailman42_5

Ben Franklin - 1759

Old 11-18-2007, 04:36 AM
Hendrik Boom

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:50:08 -0800, Rodney D. Myers wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2007, at 8:38 AM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>
>> Every now and then instead of posting, Pan tells me
>>
>> There were problems with this post.
>> Warning: Unknown group "sci.physics.research"
>>
>> It seems to be group-specific. Some groups I read are unknown, others
>> exist. I find it puzzling -- it has no trouble reading from that
>> usenet
>> group.
>
> Which news server are you using? have you checked to make sure it is
> still valid?

My ISP, magma.com, uses giganews.com to provide the usenet feed.

What does it mean, whether the server is still valid? I see recent news
appearing on it, day by day.

There does seem to be a server connection, though -- newgroups it provided
have this problem, whereas the newsgroups provided by gmane do not.

-- hendrik

Old 11-18-2007, 01:57 PM
"Rodney D. Myers"

[...]

Sorry, that's what I meant. Sometimes, the newserver(s) seem to lose
one or two newsgroups for a period of time.

I do recall, on occasion pan would complain. I would remove the
newsgroup, then add it back.

---

Old 11-19-2007, 02:16 AM
Hendrik Boom

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 06:57:15 -0800, Rodney D. Myers wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2007, at 9:36 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:

>>> Which news server are you using? have you checked to make sure it is
>>> still valid?
>>
>> My ISP, magma.com, uses giganews.com to provide the usenet feed.
>>
>> What does it mean, whether the server is still valid? I see recent
>> news
>> appearing on it, day by day.
>>
>> There does seem to be a server connection, though -- newgroups it
>> provided
>> have this problem, whereas the newsgroups provided by gmane do not.
>>
>> -- hendrik
>
> Sorry, that's what I meant. Sometimes, the newserver(s) seem to lose
> one or two newsgroups for a period of time.
>
> I do recall, on occasion pan would complain. I would remove the
> newsgroup, then add it back.

My Pan has a list of all available newsgroups, mostly as a collapsed tree.
On startup, it uncollapses the subscribed newsgroups, and has the
unsubscriped ones collapsed.

By removing a group, do you mean unsubsribing? Or do you mean removing its
newsserver?

-- hendrik

Old 11-19-2007, 02:30 AM
"Rodney D. Myers"

[...]

My apologies. English is my native language, so I use too much slang at times. I mean unsubscribe, close Pan, re-open Pan, and re-subscribe.

---Rodney D. Myers <rdmyers@anzavalley.net>ICQ#: * * * * AIM#: * * * * * *YAHOO:18002350 * * *mailman452 * * * mailman42_5
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain alittle temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.* * * * Ben Franklin - 1759