Old 08-22-2010, 09:00 AM
Memnon Anon

Default what is the difference between w95 FAT32 and w95 FAT32 (LBA)

> Interesting! I searched for
> difference between "w95 FAT32" and "w95 FAT32 (LBA)"
> in google. All the results are pretty useless. What did you search for?

"w95 fat32 w95 fat32 lba cfdisk"
So I only added cfdisk and my hit is there on the first page.

> thanks. That helps.

Great.

If you find a page that describes the different format more extensively,
please write a mail and add the link to this thread.

So the next person that googles it will be hopefully more lucky

Memnon "too lazy to keep on searching" Anon

Old 08-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Gilles Mocellin

Le dimanche 22 août, Memnon Anon écrivit :

> > Interesting! I searched for
> > difference between "w95 FAT32" and "w95 FAT32 (LBA)"
> > in google. All the results are pretty useless. What did you search for?
>
> "w95 fat32 w95 fat32 lba cfdisk"
> So I only added cfdisk and my hit is there on the first page.
>
> > thanks. That helps.
>
> Great.
>
> If you find a page that describes the different format more extensively,
> please write a mail and add the link to this thread.
>
> So the next person that googles it will be hopefully more lucky
>
> Memnon "too lazy to keep on searching" Anon

Beware, when you choose a partition type in cfdisk (or fdisk), it
doesn't format anything.
It just fill a record with an ID, wich is meant to indicate what type of
formatting will be on it.

You can format a FAT32 filesystem on a Linux Type partition.
But I think some OS will not see it, because they would look only at the
type they know in the partition table, without searchink to know what
really is on each partition.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 21:33:16 -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:

> While running cfdisk, it lists various file system types. Is there a
> document which explains the difference between similar file systems?

It should be... but I have found nothing but excerpts:

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-1.html

http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-Partitioning-EN-Partitions-attributes

> In particular, if I want to have a windows XP type of filesystem, do I
> go with "07 HPFS/NTFS" or "86 NTFS volume set" or "87 NTFS volume set"?

07, as per the above link. But I would create a NTFS partition from a
Windows native system, if possible.

> Similarly, If I want to create FAT32 partition so that I can exchange
> files between windows and Linux, should I go with "0B W95 FAT32" or
> ""w95 FAT32" ""w95 FAT32 (LBA)"
>
> What are the advantages in choosing one over the other? I tried to
> google, /usr/share/doc/util-linux etc., but could not find anything
> useful.

As Memnon already pointed out, I think "w95 FAT32 (LBA)" adds
compatibility with bigger hard disks. It would require a BIOS with that
capability, also.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Sat, Aug 21, 2010 at 09:33:16PM -0400, Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
> While running cfdisk, it lists various file system types. Is there a
> document which explains the difference between similar file systems?
>
> In particular, if I want to have a windows XP type of filesystem, do I go
> with "07 HPFS/NTFS" or "86 NTFS volume set" or "87 NTFS volume set"?
>
> Similarly, If I want to create FAT32 partition so that I can exchange files
> between windows and Linux, should I go with "0B W95 FAT32" or ""w95 FAT32"
> "w95 FAT32 (LBA)"
>
> What are the advantages in choosing one over the other? I tried to google,
> /usr/share/doc/util-linux etc., but could not find anything useful.

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch10.en.html#_removable_storage_device

This should give you much of required information.

By the way, did you google on wikipedia?

<some words ...> site:wikipedia.org

This is generally good place to get good list of well reviewd information.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_partitioning