Old 11-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Chris G

Default to sata or not to sata (etch dvd install)

On Sat, Nov 24, 2007 at 02:52:52PM +0100, baldyeti wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I haven't built a computer in over 3 years.
> I seem to remember people mentioning difficulties
> installing etch (or was it sarge?) from a sata dvdrom.
> Is there a reason to stick to IDE(PATA) for the
> cd/dvd unit or can i safely go for an all sata
> (HD&DVD) setup?

I had the *opposite* problem.

The motherboard was nearly all SATA with a 'legacy' JMicron PATA
interface. The Linux kernels available at the time (September last
year) didn't support the JMicron PATA interface so although I could
boot from a CD the installers couldn't read the CD.

I overcame the problem by buying a SATA CD drive.

--
Chris Green