Old 08-13-2010, 06:08 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

Default trinity

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 09:31 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I installed the trinity apps, per the email, tried to log in, and got hung. So
> I renamed .kde3 .trinity, and lkderc files and tried to log in again. It said
> it completed the initialization, then I got a empty blue screen.
> am I missing the desktop manager? menus?
> this is basically what I did, and I refreshed the install ( aptitude update)
> after adding these:
>
> > Install desktop-base-trinity, kdebase-trinity, and kdepim-trinity.
> >
> > I use a preferences file such as:
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=stable
> > Pin: release o=LP-PPA-trinity-trinity-builddeps
> > Pin-Priority: 902
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=stable
> > Pin: release o=LP-PPA-trinity-trinity
> > Pin-Priority: 901
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=stable
> > Pin-Priority: 900
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=lenny-backports
> > Pin-Priority: 800
> >
> > Package: *
> > Pin: release a=testing
> > Pin-Priority: 700
> >
> > Package: rdesktop
> > Pin: version 1.6.0-3.1
> > Pin-Priority: 1001
I'm not sure. Our installation was very specific as we do not use KDM
and run inside a VServer. In our case, we set up the preferences and
then installed kde-trinity I believe. We did not install
desktop-base-trinity because we did not want to pull in all the hardwre
interacting portions in the VServer. We copied ~/.kde to ~/.trinity so
that we had a backout path, renamed /usr/bin/startkde and then created a
symbolic link named /usr/bin/startkde to the trinity startkde script. We
then restarted the vserver. That worked pretty cleanly for us although I
believe I needed to do an apt-get -f to bring in all the support
libraries.

You might want to post on the Trinity mailing list or support site to
see what the Trinity team has to say. Good luck and let us know how you
fare - John

Old 08-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Jimmy Johnson

Paul Cartwright wrote:
I installed the trinity apps, per the email, tried to log in, and got hung. So
I renamed .kde3 .trinity, and lkderc files and tried to log in again. It said
it completed the initialization, then I got a empty blue screen.

Just so you don't feel along, I have the same thing going on, I'm going
to let it set for a day or two and see if the upgrades slow down and/or
we get a fix.

--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu Lucid and Trinity KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263

Archive: 4C658A14.9080400@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C658A14.9080400@gmail.com

Old 08-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Jimmy Johnson

John A. Sullivan III wrote:

You might want to post on the Trinity mailing list or support site to
see what the Trinity team has to say. Good luck and let us know how you
fare - John

I tried to get on the mailing list a few times and my email bounced,
also, I get 404 when I try to browse the mailing list archive, I emailed
Tim Pearson but got no reply. !?!

--

Archive: 4C658C3B.20803@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C658C3B.20803@gmail.com

Old 08-13-2010, 06:49 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 11:17 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>
> > You might want to post on the Trinity mailing list or support site to
> > see what the Trinity team has to say. Good luck and let us know how you
> > fare - John
>

> I tried to get on the mailing list a few times and my email bounced,
> also, I get 404 when I try to browse the mailing list archive, I emailed
> Tim Pearson but got no reply. !?!
<snip>

It's possible that part of the system has not yet been recovered. When
he finally resurfaced yesterday, I asked if he had received my emails
and he replied that the company he paid to store them while he was down
mystically lost them before he had restored his email server :-(

I'll pass this along to him as we're still working pretty closely on the
Kontact improvements. Thanks - John

Old 08-13-2010, 08:10 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Fri, 2010-08-13 at 11:08 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> Paul Cartwright wrote:
> > I installed the trinity apps, per the email, tried to log in, and got hung. So
> > I renamed .kde3 .trinity, and lkderc files and tried to log in again. It said
> > it completed the initialization, then I got a empty blue screen.
>

> Just so you don't feel along, I have the same thing going on, I'm going
> to let it set for a day or two and see if the upgrades slow down and/or
> we get a fix.
<snip>
Yes, it looks like the repositories have not been fully rebuilt. I just
received the following from Tim:

"The archive/installation issues are known as they are currently being
rebuilt from SVN; I expect those problems to be resolved within the next
day or so as the new packages build.

Thanks for keeping me informed of the issues!"

Old 08-13-2010, 09:41 PM
Jimmy Johnson

John A. Sullivan III wrote:

You might want to post on the Trinity mailing list or support site to
see what the Trinity team has to say. Good luck and let us know how you
fare - John

I tried to get on the mailing list a few times and my email bounced,
also, I get 404 when I try to browse the mailing list archive, I emailed
Tim Pearson but got no reply. !?!

<snip>
It's possible that part of the system has not yet been recovered. When
he finally resurfaced yesterday, I asked if he had received my emails
and he replied that the company he paid to store them while he was down
mystically lost them before he had restored his email server :-(

I'll pass this along to him as we're still working pretty closely on the
Kontact improvements. Thanks - John

If you feel the need you can reach me at my reply email address.
--

Archive: 4C65BC1D.30809@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C65BC1D.30809@gmail.com

Old 09-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Nicolas BERCHER

Hi everybody,

I wish to give a try to Trinity (KDE 3.5 fork) on Squeeze.
But as I do
aptitude install desktop-base-trinity kde-trinity
it asks me to replace desktop-base & sudo packages with
desktop-base-trinity & sudo-trinity.

Have you guy tested it? Is it safe to replace such sensible packages
like the sudo one?
And does anybody know why they "forked" such packages since they look
very "low level" for a Debian system?

Thanks a lot,

Nicolas.

PS: I have many issues using KDE 4.4.5 including:
- konsole slowness (improved today but still slower than konsole
3.5.x) and mouse cursor bug,
- missing simple desktop features like alt+f5 (show window list) that
seems only to be available when desktop effects are on,

- kmix/pulseaudio miss understanding regarding sound card channels,
- missing applets,
- etc.

Archive: 4C8E42A6.2090002@yahoo.fr">http://lists.debian.org/4C8E42A6.2090002@yahoo.fr

Old 09-14-2010, 03:57 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Mon, 2010-09-13 at 17:26 +0200, Nicolas BERCHER wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I wish to give a try to Trinity (KDE 3.5 fork) on Squeeze.
> But as I do
> aptitude install desktop-base-trinity kde-trinity
> it asks me to replace desktop-base & sudo packages with
> desktop-base-trinity & sudo-trinity.
>
> Have you guy tested it? Is it safe to replace such sensible packages
> like the sudo one?
> And does anybody know why they "forked" such packages since they look
> very "low level" for a Debian system?
>
> Thanks a lot,
>
> Nicolas.
>
> PS: I have many issues using KDE 4.4.5 including:
> - konsole slowness (improved today but still slower than konsole
> 3.5.x) and mouse cursor bug,
> - missing simple desktop features like alt+f5 (show window list) that
> seems only to be available when desktop effects are on,
> - kmix/pulseaudio miss understanding regarding sound card channels,
> - missing applets,
> - etc.

I've been very happy with it and its stability but I am using it on
Lenny and inside a VServer guest so my environment is very different
from yours - John

Old 07-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Bruce Sass

On July 9, 2012 01:54:05 PM hrvojes wrote:
> On Monday 09 of July 2012 15:48:01 john Culleton wrote:
> > BTW KDE has gone down hill of late. It gets as many complaints as
> > Vista it seems. My solution is simple. I use Trinity which is a
> > clone of KDE 3.5. Try it, you might like it (or not.)
>
> Yes, the obvious solution is moving to obsoleted DE.

I think you mean, STABLE, not "obsoleted"... Trinity is actively being
developed (albeit slowly), and is a sane, somewhat lighter weight[1],
alternative to the resource hungry bleeding edge which is KDE 4, for those who
want a KDE experience without all the blood.

Also... it is not a "clone" of KDE-3.5, it is KDE-3.5, plus backports from
KDE-4 and some bits to enable both it and KDE-4 to coexist.

I do agree that the `KDE-4 broken, try Trinity instead' way it is being
mentioned here recently is uncalled for--it would have been better if a thread
looking for comments with respect to getting it into Debian had been started
by Trinity's promoter(s) instead.

- Bruce

[1] Based on my experience of having a couple boxes where KDE-3.5 ran nicely,
but KDE-4 turns them into doorstops... one still runs KDE-3.5, the other uses
UDE + KDE-4 apps... both would be better served by Trinity.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:41 AM
Valerio Passini

I think that without any knowledge about the HW of your systems it's a bit inconsistent to talk about performance. KDE 4 is a modern DE with a lot or features that are surely resource hungry, but they are conceived for PC with modern CPUs (at least a Pentium 4 in my experience: a CPU that's 8 years old...). Its memory footprint is under 1GB with everything running (Widgets, nepomuk, databases etc) that it's fantastic compared to modern OSes like W vista or W 7. KDE 3 was very good, but leave it in its era, without fancy desktops, social networks, streaming media services, huge data collections, and clouds. Ciao