Old 07-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Peter Dahlberg

Default Trinity

On Thursday 12 July 2012 23:22:04 Bruce Sass wrote:
> On July 12, 2012 02:10:33 PM Modestas Vainius wrote:

> > > True, but it has been packaged for Stable and Oldstable based systems
> > > which makes it more likely to eventually appear in Debian than some
> > > random piece of source out there.
> >
> > FIY, nobody stepped up to take over maintainance of Qt 3 in Debian. So
> > you can basically forget about KDE 3.5 at this point.

> > > Despite its orgins as a continuation of the KDE-3.5 codebase, eh.
> >
> > Everything about KDE 3.5 is long dead. No matter how good or bad it was,
> > its base system (Qt 3) is not supported anymore.
>
> Trinity uses the KDE3.5 code and maintain Qt3 themselves, so it is not long
> dead nor unsupported.

Oh yes a handful of people are able to maintain 2 large projects with tons of
code. Sure...

> > > Nowhere is a good place for: "KDE is crap, Trinity rulez"!
> > >
> > > However, given Trinity's origins (as KDE-3.5) and goals (be installed
> > > alongside and work with KDE-4 and apps), debian-kde is the best place
> > > within Debian for someone looking at introducing it into the archive to
> > > bring it up--
> >
> > We had this "discussion" before. It ended up in trolling and left a bad
> > taste for everyone involved.
>
> That is unfortunate.
>
> > > this is where the DD/DM expertise wrt KDE-3.5 and 4 resides, and this
> > > is the place with the most potential for finding interested users.
> >
> > If anyone wanted to bring trinity to Debian, (s)he would have already
> > done it. But every maintainer understands that it is impossible to
> > provide good packages for outdated and basically abondoned software.
>
> It may be outdated from the perspective of KDE, but if people are working
> on it and maintaining its core then it is not abandoned.
>
> > All you do is encourage people to install random packages of bad quality.
> > Eventually users will face problems and/or break systems, many have
> > already broke.
>
> "random packages of bad quality"... we must be talking about two different
> things... I am only considering Trinity--KDE-3.5, bits of KDE-4, and the
> toolkit it is built upon--not arbitrary packages which depend on Qt3.
>
> - Bruce

Martin Gräßlin recently wrote a nice blog entry about Trinity and its
problems:
http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blog/2012/02/having-a-look-at-the-oldnew-
desktop-environments/

-- Peter

Old 07-13-2012, 08:43 AM
Jacopo Nespolo

Hi,
A couple of weeks ago I joined this list because
1) I've been using KDE for quite a long time, from 2006 on
2) I wanted to be more involved in the community
3) I needed some help with an issue I run into
4) I wanted to help back when my limited knowledge of the topics allowed.

This thread is taking away my desire to be part of this community,
doesn't help me solve any issue and doesn't give me the opportunity to
help someone else.

I am now facing two choices: either abandon the list or create a smart
filter to send undesired emails straight to the bin.

Please, please please, stop this now.
Thank you.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:10 AM
cobaco

On Friday, 12/07/13, Jacopo Nespolo wrote:
> This thread is taking away my desire to be part of this community,
> doesn't help me solve any issue and doesn't give me the opportunity to
> help someone else.
>
> I am now facing two choices: either abandon the list or create a smart
> filter to send undesired emails straight to the bin.

in kmail you can just do right-click->mark thread->ignore thread
--
Cheers, Cobaco (aka Bart Cornelis)

Old 07-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Dietz Pröpper

cobaco:

> On Friday, 12/07/13, Jacopo Nespolo wrote:

> > This thread is taking away my desire to be part of this community,

> > doesn't help me solve any issue and doesn't give me the opportunity to

> > help someone else.

> > I am now facing two choices: either abandon the list or create a smart

> > filter to send undesired emails straight to the bin.

> in kmail you can just do right-click->mark thread->ignore thread

*

And mapping them to i.e. Crtl-I for "ignore thread" and Crtl-W for "watch thread" saves some mouse movement.

*

For the German speakers, in the translation, "Thread" becomes "Gruppe", which can be quite irritating.

Old 07-13-2012, 10:53 AM
Mirosław Zalewski

On 13/07/2012 at 12:20, Dietz Pröpper <dietz@rotfl.franken.de> wrote:

> For the German speakers, in the translation, "Thread" becomes "Gruppe",
> which can be quite irritating.

If you are able to propose better translation, you should contact KDE German
l10n team:
http://l10n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=de
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski

Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Dietz Pröpper

Mirosław Zalewski:

> On 13/07/2012 at 12:20, Dietz Pröpper <dietz@rotfl.franken.de> wrote:

> > For the German speakers, in the translation, "Thread" becomes

> > "Gruppe", which can be quite irritating.

> If you are able to propose better translation,

Â*

In that special case? I think so.

Â*

> you should contact KDE

> German l10n team:

> http://l10n.kde.org/team-infos.php?teamcode=de

Â*

Sorry, I'm too blind to find it on my own, have they got a bug tracker or something?

Or just file a bug with the normal kde bug tracker?

Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 AM
Mirosław Zalewski

On 13/07/2012 at 13:01, Dietz Pröpper <dietz@rotfl.franken.de> wrote:

> Sorry, I'm too blind to find it on my own, have they got a bug tracker or
> something?
> Or just file a bug with the normal kde bug tracker?

As far as I know, localization is held by separate infrastructure. Each team
builds whatever best suit their needs. There is no component in BKO against
which you can post your bug and be sure that right people are notified.
You should try on their mailing list:
Also, this page may contain useful info, but my German is too basic to be
sure:
http://community.kde.org/KDE_Localization/de
--
Best regards