FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor


 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-12-2012, 07:44 AM
Andrej Kacian
 
Default Trinity

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 07:41:43 +0200
Valerio Passini <valerio.passini@unicam.it> wrote:

> KDE 3 was very good, but leave it in its era, without fancy desktops,
> social networks, streaming media services, huge data collections,
> and clouds.

Mmm, this statement makes me want to start using KDE3 again. But in
all fairness, it is perfectly possible to use KDE4 without all the
social, semantic, and/or cloudy crap that's being pushed to Linux
desktop in recent years. It just takes bit of tweaking.

Regards,
--
Andrej


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20120712094447.2ed4c82c@hiker
 
Old 07-12-2012, 08:21 AM
Alex DEKKER
 
Default Trinity

On Thursday 12 Jul 2012 08:44:47 Andrej Kacian wrote:

> it is perfectly possible to use KDE4 without all the

> social, semantic, and/or cloudy crap that's being pushed to Linux

> desktop in recent years. It just takes bit of tweaking.

*

That's prety much how I use KDE4.

*

alexd

*
 
Old 07-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Modestas Vainius
 
Default Trinity

Hello,

On 2012 m. of July 12 d., Thursday 00:10:57 Bruce Sass wrote:
> On July 9, 2012 01:54:05 PM hrvojes wrote:
> > On Monday 09 of July 2012 15:48:01 john Culleton wrote:
> > > BTW KDE has gone down hill of late. It gets as many complaints as
> > > Vista it seems. My solution is simple. I use Trinity which is a
> > > clone of KDE 3.5. Try it, you might like it (or not.)
> >
> > Yes, the obvious solution is moving to obsoleted DE.
>
> I think you mean, STABLE, not "obsoleted"... Trinity is actively being
> developed (albeit slowly), and is a sane, somewhat lighter weight[1],
> alternative to the resource hungry bleeding edge which is KDE 4, for those
> who want a KDE experience without all the blood.

Trinity discussion is completely irrelevant for debian-kde mailing list
because:

1) Trinity is not in Debian.
2) Trinity is not and has never been KDE despite its origins

So unless any of above changes, this is not a place for "KDE is crap, Trinity
rulez".


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201207121540.28620.modax@debian.org">http://lists.debian.org/201207121540.28620.modax@debian.org
 
Old 07-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Bruce Sass
 
Default Trinity

On July 12, 2012 06:40:28 AM Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 2012 m. of July 12 d., Thursday 00:10:57 Bruce Sass wrote:
> > On July 9, 2012 01:54:05 PM hrvojes wrote:
> > > On Monday 09 of July 2012 15:48:01 john Culleton wrote:
> > > > BTW KDE has gone down hill of late. It gets as many complaints as
> > > > Vista it seems. My solution is simple. I use Trinity which is a
> > > > clone of KDE 3.5. Try it, you might like it (or not.)
> > >
> > > Yes, the obvious solution is moving to obsoleted DE.
> >
> > I think you mean, STABLE, not "obsoleted"... Trinity is actively being
> > developed (albeit slowly), and is a sane, somewhat lighter weight[1],
> > alternative to the resource hungry bleeding edge which is KDE 4, for
> > those who want a KDE experience without all the blood.
>
> Trinity discussion is completely irrelevant for debian-kde mailing list
> because:
>
> 1) Trinity is not in Debian.

True, but it has been packaged for Stable and Oldstable based systems which
makes it more likely to eventually appear in Debian than some random piece of
source out there.

> 2) Trinity is not and has never been KDE despite its origins

Despite its orgins as a continuation of the KDE-3.5 codebase, eh.

> So unless any of above changes, this is not a place for "KDE is crap,
> Trinity rulez".

Nowhere is a good place for: "KDE is crap, Trinity rulez"!

However, given Trinity's origins (as KDE-3.5) and goals (be installed
alongside and work with KDE-4 and apps), debian-kde is the best place within
Debian for someone looking at introducing it into the archive to bring it up--
this is where the DD/DM expertise wrt KDE-3.5 and 4 resides, and this is the
place with the most potential for finding interested users.

- Bruce


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201207121355.17951.bmsass@shaw.ca">http://lists.debian.org/201207121355.17951.bmsass@shaw.ca
 
Old 07-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Modestas Vainius
 
Default Trinity

Hello,

On Thursday 12 July 2012 13:55:17 Bruce Sass wrote:
> > 1) Trinity is not in Debian.
>
> True, but it has been packaged for Stable and Oldstable based systems which
> makes it more likely to eventually appear in Debian than some random piece
> of source out there.

FIY, nobody stepped up to take over maintainance of Qt 3 in Debian. So you can
basically forget about KDE 3.5 at this point.

> > 2) Trinity is not and has never been KDE despite its origins
>
> Despite its orgins as a continuation of the KDE-3.5 codebase, eh.

Everything about KDE 3.5 is long dead. No matter how good or bad it was, its
base system (Qt 3) is not supported anymore.

>
> > So unless any of above changes, this is not a place for "KDE is crap,
> > Trinity rulez".
>
> Nowhere is a good place for: "KDE is crap, Trinity rulez"!
>
> However, given Trinity's origins (as KDE-3.5) and goals (be installed
> alongside and work with KDE-4 and apps), debian-kde is the best place within
> Debian for someone looking at introducing it into the archive to bring it
> up--

We had this "discussion" before. It ended up in trolling and left a bad taste
for everyone involved.

> this is where the DD/DM expertise wrt KDE-3.5 and 4 resides, and this
> is the place with the most potential for finding interested users.

If anyone wanted to bring trinity to Debian, (s)he would have already done it.
But every maintainer understands that it is impossible to provide good
packages for outdated and basically abondoned software.

All you do is encourage people to install random packages of bad quality.
Eventually users will face problems and/or break systems, many have already
broke.
 
Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Pino Toscano
 
Default Trinity

Hi,

Alle giovedě 12 luglio 2012, Bruce Sass ha scritto:
> > 1) Trinity is not in Debian.
>
> True, but it has been packaged for Stable and Oldstable based systems
> which makes it more likely to eventually appear in Debian than some
> random piece of source out there.

Not really; consider for example that qt3 has been removed recently from
Debian (so squeeze is the last stable release with qt3), so any kind of
reintrouction of it into the archive will not be that welcome.

> > So unless any of above changes, this is not a place for "KDE is
> > crap, Trinity rulez".
>
> Nowhere is a good place for: "KDE is crap, Trinity rulez"!
>
> However, given Trinity's origins (as KDE-3.5) and goals (be installed
> alongside and work with KDE-4 and apps), debian-kde is the best place
> within Debian for someone looking at introducing it into the archive
> to bring it up-- this is where the DD/DM expertise wrt KDE-3.5 and 4
> resides, and this is the place with the most potential for finding
> interested users.

No, debian-kde is definitely *not* the place for advertising Trinity in
any form, nor for finding your users.

Please bring Trinity away from this list, thank you.

--
Pino Toscano
 
Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Bruce Sass
 
Default Trinity

On July 12, 2012 02:10:33 PM Modestas Vainius wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Thursday 12 July 2012 13:55:17 Bruce Sass wrote:
> > > 1) Trinity is not in Debian.
> >
> > True, but it has been packaged for Stable and Oldstable based systems
> > which makes it more likely to eventually appear in Debian than some
> > random piece of source out there.
>
> FIY, nobody stepped up to take over maintainance of Qt 3 in Debian. So you
> can basically forget about KDE 3.5 at this point.
>
> > > 2) Trinity is not and has never been KDE despite its origins
> >
> > Despite its orgins as a continuation of the KDE-3.5 codebase, eh.
>
> Everything about KDE 3.5 is long dead. No matter how good or bad it was,
> its base system (Qt 3) is not supported anymore.

Trinity uses the KDE3.5 code and maintain Qt3 themselves, so it is not long
dead nor unsupported.

> > > So unless any of above changes, this is not a place for "KDE is crap,
> > > Trinity rulez".
> >
> > Nowhere is a good place for: "KDE is crap, Trinity rulez"!
> >
> > However, given Trinity's origins (as KDE-3.5) and goals (be installed
> > alongside and work with KDE-4 and apps), debian-kde is the best place
> > within Debian for someone looking at introducing it into the archive to
> > bring it up--
>
> We had this "discussion" before. It ended up in trolling and left a bad
> taste for everyone involved.

That is unfortunate.

> > this is where the DD/DM expertise wrt KDE-3.5 and 4 resides, and this
> > is the place with the most potential for finding interested users.
>
> If anyone wanted to bring trinity to Debian, (s)he would have already done
> it. But every maintainer understands that it is impossible to provide good
> packages for outdated and basically abondoned software.

It may be outdated from the perspective of KDE, but if people are working on
it and maintaining its core then it is not abandoned.

> All you do is encourage people to install random packages of bad quality.
> Eventually users will face problems and/or break systems, many have already
> broke.

"random packages of bad quality"... we must be talking about two different
things... I am only considering Trinity--KDE-3.5, bits of KDE-4, and the
toolkit it is built upon--not arbitrary packages which depend on Qt3.

- Bruce


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201207121522.05475.bmsass@shaw.ca">http://lists.debian.org/201207121522.05475.bmsass@shaw.ca
 
Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Diederik de Haas
 
Default Trinity

Bruce Sass <bmsass@shaw.ca> wrote:

Bla bla bla

Seriously ???


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 470dd0bf-bf8b-4829-b9b2-7d7d14ffaee6@email.android.com">http://lists.debian.org/470dd0bf-bf8b-4829-b9b2-7d7d14ffaee6@email.android.com
 
Old 07-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Bruce Sass
 
Default Trinity

On July 12, 2012 02:13:20 PM Pino Toscano wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Alle giovedě 12 luglio 2012, Bruce Sass ha scritto:
> > > 1) Trinity is not in Debian.
> >
> > True, but it has been packaged for Stable and Oldstable based systems
> > which makes it more likely to eventually appear in Debian than some
> > random piece of source out there.
>
> Not really; consider for example that qt3 has been removed recently from
> Debian (so squeeze is the last stable release with qt3), so any kind of
> reintrouction of it into the archive will not be that welcome.

That's a good thing... nobody should want old and unmaintained Qt3 apps in the
archive. However, it may open the door a little more for the introduction of
Trinity since there is now no pressure to accommodate arbitrary Qt3 based
apps.

> > > So unless any of above changes, this is not a place for "KDE is
> > > crap, Trinity rulez".
> >
> > Nowhere is a good place for: "KDE is crap, Trinity rulez"!
> >
> > However, given Trinity's origins (as KDE-3.5) and goals (be installed
> > alongside and work with KDE-4 and apps), debian-kde is the best place
> > within Debian for someone looking at introducing it into the archive
> > to bring it up-- this is where the DD/DM expertise wrt KDE-3.5 and 4
> > resides, and this is the place with the most potential for finding
> > interested users.
>
> No, debian-kde is definitely *not* the place for advertising Trinity in
> any form, nor for finding your users.
>
> Please bring Trinity away from this list, thank you.

Sure... all I wanted to do was correct some BS about Trinity being an obsolete
clone of KDE-3.5.

- Bruce


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201207121540.31442.bmsass@shaw.ca">http://lists.debian.org/201207121540.31442.bmsass@shaw.ca
 
Old 07-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Bruce Sass
 
Default Trinity

On July 12, 2012 03:37:38 PM Diederik de Haas wrote:
> Bruce Sass <bmsass@shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> Bla bla bla
>
> Seriously ???

Yup


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-kde-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201207121542.09568.bmsass@shaw.ca">http://lists.debian.org/201207121542.09568.bmsass@shaw.ca
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:09 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org