FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Jeremiah Mahler
 
Default maintainer not responding

debian-user list,

Debian is a great distribution thanks to the countless hours
volunteers have contributed.
But what can be done when a maintainer is not responding to the bug
reports they are responsible for?

Specifically I am interested in these bugs:
[http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=nenolod%40sacredspiral.co.uk].

Some have patches, some need to be forwarded upstream, and lots just
need a response like "I don't have time to fix these bugs, could
someone please help.".

--
Jeremiah Mahler
jmmahler@gmail.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTi=s_RGKj98-FBRo=QN7aZ8c1kJEvWcXZeFMeAfV@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTi=s_RGKj98-FBRo=QN7aZ8c1kJEvWcXZeFMeAfV@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 08-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Patrick Ouellette
 
Default maintainer not responding

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 12:10:49PM -0700, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
> debian-user list,
>
> Debian is a great distribution thanks to the countless hours
> volunteers have contributed.
> But what can be done when a maintainer is not responding to the bug
> reports they are responsible for?
>
> Specifically I am interested in these bugs:
> [http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=nenolod%40sacredspiral.co.uk].
>
> Some have patches, some need to be forwarded upstream, and lots just
> need a response like "I don't have time to fix these bugs, could
> someone please help.".
>
> --

Jeremiah,

You link to the bug page for a maintainer, not a specific bug or bugs.
You also don't indicate what efforts you have made to contact the maintainer
(if any), and don't appear to be offering to assist in the resolution of
the bugs.

You may get a useful response if you indicated which specific package(s)
you are interested in and which specific bug(s) you currently experience.
Offering to test or help in some fashion also tends to help motivate
people to work on issues.

Pat


--

Patrick Ouellette pat@flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net Amateur Radio: NE4PO

What kind of change have you been in the world today?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100805192700.GB14480@flying-gecko.net">http://lists.debian.org/20100805192700.GB14480@flying-gecko.net
 
Old 08-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Teemu Likonen
 
Default maintainer not responding

* 2010-08-05 12:10 (-0700), Jeremiah Mahler wrote:

> But what can be done when a maintainer is not responding to the bug
> reports they are responsible for?

> Some have patches, some need to be forwarded upstream, and lots just
> need a response like "I don't have time to fix these bugs, could
> someone please help.".

Well, that particular volunteer is busy in other tasks or not motivated
enough to work on his packages. Indeed, help is needed there. Can you
fix some of the bugs? Do you know someone who can? Ask other Debian
developers if they can apply patches and upload new version. Perhaps
package should be orphaned but I'm not familiar with Debian's package
orphaning practices.

It's good that you noticed this and care about the package. You might be
the right person to push things forward, at least a bit.

--
Feel free to Cc me your replies if you want to make sure I'll notice
them. I can't read all the list mail.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 8762zo3l79.fsf@mithlond.arda">http://lists.debian.org/8762zo3l79.fsf@mithlond.arda
 
Old 08-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Jeremiah Mahler
 
Default maintainer not responding

I will look in to the bugs in more detail and see what exactly needs to be done.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:
> * 2010-08-05 12:10 (-0700), Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
>
>> But what can be done when a maintainer is not responding to the bug
>> reports they are responsible for?
>
>> Some have patches, some need to be forwarded upstream, and lots just
>> need a response like "I don't have time to fix these bugs, could
>> someone please help.".
>
> Well, that particular volunteer is busy in other tasks or not motivated
> enough to work on his packages. Indeed, help is needed there. Can you
> fix some of the bugs? Do you know someone who can? Ask other Debian
> developers if they can apply patches and upload new version. Perhaps
> package should be orphaned but I'm not familiar with Debian's package
> orphaning practices.
>
> It's good that you noticed this and care about the package. You might be
> the right person to push things forward, at least a bit.
>
> --
> Feel free to Cc me your replies if you want to make sure I'll notice
> them. I can't read all the list mail.
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/8762zo3l79.fsf@mithlond.arda
>
>



--
Jeremiah Mahler
jmmahler@gmail.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTi=5_W+_RRYkiuh+k4o--xMrQeKrViEsdTU+xe6Q@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTi=5_W+_RRYkiuh+k4o--xMrQeKrViEsdTU+xe6Q@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 08-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Jeremiah Mahler
 
Default maintainer not responding

I reviewed the outstanding bugs shown in
[https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#label/debian-lists/12a43a9b406864ec]
and below is a short summary of what I think needs to be done next.
The 'TODO' sections indicate something that needs to be done by a
Debian maintainer (packaging, forwarding, etc).
The 'TODO_USER' sections indicate something that could be done by a
regular user.

#406051 qpopper corrupts mailbox when quota exceeded
TODO: forward upstream?

#437746 libgtkglext1: Program exit via window manager window close
crashes xserver
WAITING: message sent asking for info regarding video driver.

#537575 uninstallable in unstable
seems to be fixed in current version, installed OK
TODO: close?

#548383 qpopper: The PAM configuration file does not fit to the
latest libpam-modules package
TODO: patch needs to be applied and checked

#573522 qpopper: error msg.: fetchmail: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
Some difference between lenny and squeeze causes qupopper to fail.
TODO: Someone familiar with qpopper may have some insight.
Or if the user provided a more detailed description of how to
reproduce this would help.

#242944 qpopper: RFC incompliant behavior
TODO: forward upstream

#275918 qpopper ignores -R or set reverse-lookup = false config item.
TODO: report is from 2004, check if bug still present in latest
version.

#323492 libgtkglext1-dev: example can segfault
TODO: forward upstream

#337022 libgtkglext1: bug somewhere near gdk_gl_get_proc_address()
in gdkglquery-x11.c:408
reproducible bug
TODO: forward upstream

#406687 GLXBadContext error happening only with i810 driver with DRI
TODO: forward upstream?

#471483 not available on ppc
Is libgtkglext1 available for ppc?
According to
[http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libgtkglext1&searchon=names&suite= stable&section=all]
it looks like it is available.
TODO: bug is from 2008, it seems powerpc is available now. close bug?

#516088 E: qpopper: subprocess post-removal script returned error
exit status 1
It seems to be working now.
WAITING: Message sent asking user to verify if problem is still present.

#518514 pidgin-mpris: Please remove bmpx dependency
TODO: update package to remove obsolete dependency

#587984 Outdated API - please update to 0.62
TODO: update package for new upstream version

#486579 qpopper: debian/watch fails to report upstream version
uscan of qpopper says it needs a new version.
TODO_USER: verify problem is still present

#529137 qpopper: please upgrade your watch file
similar to bug#486579
TODO: merge with #486579?

#558512 Missing autoreconf to fix 554821 or similar bugs in the future
Detailed description of what needs to be fixed.
TODO: update package for autoreconf

#590543 audacious-dumb: remove shared library linking
Has patch to removed dependency on libdumb.so
TODO: check if removing dependency makes sense,
update package if it does.

There are also some wish list bugs (not shown).


On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Jeremiah Mahler <jmmahler@gmail.com> wrote:
> I will look in to the bugs in more detail and see what exactly needs to be done.
>
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:
>> * 2010-08-05 12:10 (-0700), Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
>>
>>> But what can be done when a maintainer is not responding to the bug
>>> reports they are responsible for?
>>
>>> Some have patches, some need to be forwarded upstream, and lots just
>>> need a response like "I don't have time to fix these bugs, could
>>> someone please help.".
>>
>> Well, that particular volunteer is busy in other tasks or not motivated
>> enough to work on his packages. Indeed, help is needed there. Can you
>> fix some of the bugs? Do you know someone who can? Ask other Debian
>> developers if they can apply patches and upload new version. Perhaps
>> package should be orphaned but I'm not familiar with Debian's package
>> orphaning practices.
>>
>> It's good that you noticed this and care about the package. You might be
>> the right person to push things forward, at least a bit.
>>
>> --
>> Feel free to Cc me your replies if you want to make sure I'll notice
>> them. I can't read all the list mail.
>>
>>
>> --
>> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
>> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/8762zo3l79.fsf@mithlond.arda
>>
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Jeremiah Mahler
> jmmahler@gmail.com
>



--
Jeremiah Mahler
jmmahler@gmail.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTinUtiEwedX=P12GYeCdbuXScRJS++qR4+MNbECR@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTinUtiEwedX=P12GYeCdbuXScRJS++qR4+MNbECR@mail .gmail.com
 
Old 08-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Osamu Aoki
 
Default maintainer not responding

Hi,

I thank your efforts but I have to remind you that you need to find right
way to make change in Debian. None of us are paid to be full time.
There are many loose ends. Reporting to wrong ML is not the best action.

What you are telling us is:
1. packages maintained by nenolod@sacredspiral.co.uk is not getting good
attention. (Unfortunately, many are there...)
2. You are not the one made patches etc. and no particular technical
discussion is intended here.

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 02:38:42PM -0700, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
> I reviewed the outstanding bugs shown in
> [https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#label/debian-lists/12a43a9b406864ec]
...

This debian-user@lists.debian.org ML is not the place to do this.

I suggest you to do:

1. Send an additional mail to a bug with undeniable suggestion which
demands response nicely to check whether the maintainer is active or not.

2. If you get no response, follow procedures described in:
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/beyond-pkging.html#mia-qa

Thanks again,

Osamu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100806132358.GA3654@debian.org">http://lists.debian.org/20100806132358.GA3654@debian.org
 
Old 08-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Patrick Ouellette
 
Default maintainer not responding

I think you may be missing the poing a bit. A 'TODO' list is nice,
but what is stopping YOU from forwarding the information to upstream
or checking the upstream project to see if they know about the issue?

What SPECIFIC package(s) in the list do YOU use, and what SPECIFIC
issues are YOU having?

I'm not saying all the bugs don't need to be addressed, but it is a
lot easier to motivate people when someone has a specific need rather
than picking a developer's package set and complaining about every one
of the packages with a bug report.

Again I ask YOU what efforts have YOU made to contact the maintainer?

Pat

By the way, your Google email link doesn't work for me to look at
the referenced message.

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 02:38:42PM -0700, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
>
> I reviewed the outstanding bugs shown in
> [https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#label/debian-lists/12a43a9b406864ec]
> and below is a short summary of what I think needs to be done next.
> The 'TODO' sections indicate something that needs to be done by a
> Debian maintainer (packaging, forwarding, etc).
> The 'TODO_USER' sections indicate something that could be done by a
> regular user.
>
> #406051 qpopper corrupts mailbox when quota exceeded
> TODO: forward upstream?
>
> #437746 libgtkglext1: Program exit via window manager window close
> crashes xserver
> WAITING: message sent asking for info regarding video driver.
>
> #537575 uninstallable in unstable
> seems to be fixed in current version, installed OK
> TODO: close?
>
> #548383 qpopper: The PAM configuration file does not fit to the
> latest libpam-modules package
> TODO: patch needs to be applied and checked
>
> #573522 qpopper: error msg.: fetchmail: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
> Some difference between lenny and squeeze causes qupopper to fail.
> TODO: Someone familiar with qpopper may have some insight.
> Or if the user provided a more detailed description of how to
> reproduce this would help.
>
> #242944 qpopper: RFC incompliant behavior
> TODO: forward upstream
>
> #275918 qpopper ignores -R or set reverse-lookup = false config item.
> TODO: report is from 2004, check if bug still present in latest
> version.
>
> #323492 libgtkglext1-dev: example can segfault
> TODO: forward upstream
>
> #337022 libgtkglext1: bug somewhere near gdk_gl_get_proc_address()
> in gdkglquery-x11.c:408
> reproducible bug
> TODO: forward upstream
>
> #406687 GLXBadContext error happening only with i810 driver with DRI
> TODO: forward upstream?
>
> #471483 not available on ppc
> Is libgtkglext1 available for ppc?
> According to
> [http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libgtkglext1&searchon=names&suite= stable&section=all]
> it looks like it is available.
> TODO: bug is from 2008, it seems powerpc is available now. close bug?
>
> #516088 E: qpopper: subprocess post-removal script returned error
> exit status 1
> It seems to be working now.
> WAITING: Message sent asking user to verify if problem is still present.
>
> #518514 pidgin-mpris: Please remove bmpx dependency
> TODO: update package to remove obsolete dependency
>
> #587984 Outdated API - please update to 0.62
> TODO: update package for new upstream version
>
> #486579 qpopper: debian/watch fails to report upstream version
> uscan of qpopper says it needs a new version.
> TODO_USER: verify problem is still present
>
> #529137 qpopper: please upgrade your watch file
> similar to bug#486579
> TODO: merge with #486579?
>
> #558512 Missing autoreconf to fix 554821 or similar bugs in the future
> Detailed description of what needs to be fixed.
> TODO: update package for autoreconf
>
> #590543 audacious-dumb: remove shared library linking
> Has patch to removed dependency on libdumb.so
> TODO: check if removing dependency makes sense,
> update package if it does.
>

--

Patrick Ouellette pat@flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net Amateur Radio: NE4PO

What kind of change have you been in the world today?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20100806132900.GA6188@flying-gecko.net">http://lists.debian.org/20100806132900.GA6188@flying-gecko.net
 
Old 08-06-2010, 07:36 PM
Jeremiah Mahler
 
Default maintainer not responding

Patrick,

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Patrick Ouellette <pat@flying-gecko.net> wrote:
> I think you may be missing the poing a bit. *A 'TODO' list is nice,
> but what is stopping YOU from forwarding the information to upstream
> or checking the upstream project to see if they know about the issue?
>

What was stopping me was the assumption that forwarding bugs could
only be done by a maintainer. But it makes sense that there is no reason
why I could not discuss these bugs with the upstream authors and report back.

> What SPECIFIC package(s) in the list do YOU use, and what SPECIFIC
> issues are YOU having?
>
> I'm not saying all the bugs don't need to be addressed, but it is a
> lot easier to motivate people when someone has a specific need rather
> than picking a developer's package set and complaining about every one
> of the packages with a bug report.
>

I should focus my efforts on a micro rather than a macro level.

> Again I ask YOU what efforts have YOU made to contact the maintainer?

I have not attempted to contact the maintainer in any way other than through
bug reports. And the bug reports as well as these messages are sent to the
email for the maintainer. Is there some other method I should use?

>
> Pat
>
> By the way, your Google email link doesn't work for me to look at
> the referenced message.
>

Sorry about that. Here is the correct link.
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?maint=nenolod%40sacredspiral.co.uk

> On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 02:38:42PM -0700, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
>>
>> I reviewed the outstanding bugs shown in
>> [https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#label/debian-lists/12a43a9b406864ec]
>> and below is a short summary of what I think needs to be done next.
>> The 'TODO' sections indicate something that needs to be done by a
>> Debian maintainer (packaging, forwarding, etc).
>> The 'TODO_USER' sections indicate something that could be done by a
>> regular user.
>>
>> * #406051 *qpopper corrupts mailbox when quota exceeded
>> * * TODO: forward upstream?
>>
>> * #437746 *libgtkglext1: Program exit via window manager window close
>> crashes xserver
>> * * WAITING: message sent asking for info regarding video driver.
>>
>> * #537575 *uninstallable in unstable
>> * * seems to be fixed in current version, installed OK
>> * * TODO: close?
>>
>> * #548383 qpopper: The PAM configuration file does not fit to the
>> latest libpam-modules package
>> * * TODO: patch needs to be applied and checked
>>
>> * #573522 *qpopper: error msg.: fetchmail: Query status=3 (AUTHFAIL)
>> * * Some difference between lenny and squeeze causes qupopper to fail.
>> * * TODO: Someone familiar with qpopper may have some insight.
>> * * Or if the user provided a more detailed description of how to
>> * * reproduce this would help.
>>
>> * #242944 qpopper: RFC incompliant behavior
>> * * TODO: forward upstream
>>
>> * #275918 qpopper ignores -R or set reverse-lookup = false config item.
>> * * TODO: report is from 2004, check if bug still present in latest
>> * * version.
>>
>> * #323492 *libgtkglext1-dev: example can segfault
>> * * TODO: forward upstream
>>
>> * #337022 *libgtkglext1: bug somewhere near gdk_gl_get_proc_address()
>> in gdkglquery-x11.c:408
>> * * reproducible bug
>> * * TODO: forward upstream
>>
>> * #406687 *GLXBadContext error happening only with i810 driver with DRI
>> * * TODO: forward upstream?
>>
>> * #471483 *not available on ppc
>> * * Is libgtkglext1 available for ppc?
>> * * According to
>> * * [http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=libgtkglext1&searchon=names&suite= stable&section=all]
>> * * it looks like it is available.
>> * * TODO: bug is from 2008, it seems powerpc is available now. close bug?
>>
>> * #516088 *E: qpopper: subprocess post-removal script returned error
>> exit status 1
>> * * It seems to be working now.
>> * * WAITING: Message sent asking user to verify if problem is still present.
>>
>> * #518514 *pidgin-mpris: Please remove bmpx dependency
>> * * TODO: update package to remove obsolete dependency
>>
>> * #587984 *Outdated API - please update to 0.62
>> * * TODO: update package for new upstream version
>>
>> * #486579 *qpopper: debian/watch fails to report upstream version
>> * * uscan of qpopper says it needs a new version.
>> * * TODO_USER: verify problem is still present
>>
>> * #529137 *qpopper: please upgrade your watch file
>> * * similar to bug#486579
>> * * TODO: merge with #486579?
>>
>> * #558512 *Missing autoreconf to fix 554821 or similar bugs in the future
>> * * Detailed description of what needs to be fixed.
>> * * TODO: update package for autoreconf
>>
>> * #590543 *audacious-dumb: remove shared library linking
>> * * Has patch to removed dependency on libdumb.so
>> * * TODO: check if removing dependency makes sense,
>> * * * update package if it does.
>>
>
> --
>
> Patrick Ouellette * * * * * * * * pat@flying-gecko.net
> ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net * * * * Amateur Radio: NE4PO
>
> What kind of change have you been in the world today?
>



--
Jeremiah Mahler
jmmahler@gmail.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTimFBN-_qJOnG9V9Zx2pLYdWeRkoQ1BBZ36f+cob@mail.gmail.com"> http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTimFBN-_qJOnG9V9Zx2pLYdWeRkoQ1BBZ36f+cob@mail.gmail.com
 
Old 08-09-2010, 09:22 AM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default maintainer not responding

On Vi, 06 aug 10, 12:36:17, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Patrick Ouellette <pat@flying-gecko.net> wrote:
> > I think you may be missing the poing a bit. *A 'TODO' list is nice,
> > but what is stopping YOU from forwarding the information to upstream
> > or checking the upstream project to see if they know about the issue?
> >
>
> What was stopping me was the assumption that forwarding bugs could
> only be done by a maintainer. But it makes sense that there is no reason
> why I could not discuss these bugs with the upstream authors and report back.

Bugs can be manipulated by anyone, not just the maintainer.

> > What SPECIFIC package(s) in the list do YOU use, and what SPECIFIC
> > issues are YOU having?
> >
> > I'm not saying all the bugs don't need to be addressed, but it is a
> > lot easier to motivate people when someone has a specific need rather
> > than picking a developer's package set and complaining about every one
> > of the packages with a bug report.
> >
>
> I should focus my efforts on a micro rather than a macro level.
>
> > Again I ask YOU what efforts have YOU made to contact the maintainer?
>
> I have not attempted to contact the maintainer in any way other than through
> bug reports. And the bug reports as well as these messages are sent to the
> email for the maintainer. Is there some other method I should use?

Your "quest" seems directed towards a particular Maintainer. My guess is
you are probably more familiar with the packages on you own machine. Try
rc-alert and/or wnpp-alert (finding the package containing these is left
as an exercise to the potential contributor).

Regards,
Andrei
--
Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
 
Old 08-10-2010, 05:31 AM
Jeremiah Mahler
 
Default maintainer not responding

Andrei,

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 2:22 AM, Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Vi, 06 aug 10, 12:36:17, Jeremiah Mahler wrote:
>> Patrick,
>>
>> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 6:29 AM, Patrick Ouellette <pat@flying-gecko.net> wrote:
>> > I think you may be missing the poing a bit. *A 'TODO' list is nice,
>> > but what is stopping YOU from forwarding the information to upstream
>> > or checking the upstream project to see if they know about the issue?
>> >
>>
>> What was stopping me was the assumption that forwarding bugs could
>> only be done by a maintainer. *But it makes sense that there is no reason
>> why I could not discuss these bugs with the upstream authors and report back.
>
> Bugs can be manipulated by anyone, not just the maintainer.
>
>> > What SPECIFIC package(s) in the list do YOU use, and what SPECIFIC
>> > issues are YOU having?
>> >
>> > I'm not saying all the bugs don't need to be addressed, but it is a
>> > lot easier to motivate people when someone has a specific need rather
>> > than picking a developer's package set and complaining about every one
>> > of the packages with a bug report.
>> >
>>
>> I should focus my efforts on a micro rather than a macro level.
>>
>> > Again I ask YOU what efforts have YOU made to contact the maintainer?
>>
>> I have not attempted to contact the maintainer in any way other than through
>> bug reports. *And the bug reports as well as these messages are sent to the
>> email for the maintainer. *Is there some other method I should use?
>
> Your "quest" seems directed towards a particular Maintainer. My guess is
> you are probably more familiar with the packages on you own machine. Try
> rc-alert and/or wnpp-alert (finding the package containing these is left
> as an exercise to the potential contributor).

I never knew about those programs but they look great for finding bugs
relevant to
my system. Great tip!

>
> Regards,
> Andrei
> --
> Offtopic discussions among Debian users and developers:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/mailman/listinfo/d-community-offtopic
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iQEcBAEBCAAGBQJMX8jhAAoJEHNWs3jeoi3pFNEH/3/efAxrPjFZqwpM8w76QTLB
> yAtYhvrZhPaHTn9mnG7pK01iPfDU87qksJBdtD0YBViDH8WZ9J Tr+idd/WxVUnLu
> YL89ms4DjhZXE8o6vb0MSbEfMSvwRLjaB0WP6qksSTUnaeUmTD Jzzhdn7bSBx0ay
> XQTgycqc2V0wq8P1OxY9lSU8YKCkla06zRjHw4ZtlCBWkzyuDM iR00HCv4kmwazL
> UD5YT9dIy/fN/MZxwPegDk+DYbVrC7EecQv4orUi64Bri6DisdNjhqYciyErJ7r u
> gmDu0y1haKtaB57yDmVEf8tpf+rxmiLpfEbKfnszpSQpAx3rc4 16h8GA1UU6AQ4=
> =7Pwe
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>



--
Jeremiah Mahler
jmmahler@gmail.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTin12JFY7SEvYs2oyGKte7Vh4xuBn2y_zCxbgatX@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTin12JFY7SEvYs2oyGKte7Vh4xuBn2y_zCxbgatX@mail .gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org