Old 08-05-2010, 01:59 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default Tiny Console Fonts - Almost Fixed

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 04:36:49PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2010-08-04 15:57 +0200, Thomas H. George wrote:
>
> > After installing linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 the console fonts are so
> > small I must use reading glasses to make them out. I have experimented
> > with the consolechars -H 16 -d command but this just makes the characters
> > brighter.
> >
> > I assume the problem may be the setting of the monitor resolution.
>
> This is now done by the kernel for both Nvidia and Radeon cards, yes.
> It uses the native resolution of your display which gives you a sharp
> picture but also a small font by default.
>
> > The
> > monitor is 23" LCD monitor capable of 1920x1080 resolution. Indeed, the
> > small font is very sharp when viewed with my reading glasses but I wish
> > it was twice as large so I would not have to bother with the glases.
>
> This should be easy to fix, fortunately.
>
> > On the other hand, the font sizes and resolution in X windows is fine as
> > it is.
> >
> > Is there a way change the console font size without changing the X
> > windows resolution?
>
> Make sure you have the console-setup and kbd packages installed and use
>
> # dpkg-reconfigure console-setup
>
> to choose a console font that suits your taste; it will be set up on
> each boot. You can also use the setfont utility to change the font
> temporarily. Fonts are in the /usr/share/consolefonts directory.
>
> Sven

I followed these instructions chosing the Terminus font and a character
height of 32 and then rebooted. The boot screen and initial scripts
were easy to read, actually larger than I need BUT

About half way through the boot up the scripts changed back to the tiny
fonts. There was a line saying consolechars can only load fonts with a
height of 16, try installing setfont. Apt-get search found setfont in
kbd-compat but apt-get install reported that the latest version of
kbd-compat was already installed.

What now?

Tom

Old 08-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-08-05 15:59 +0200, Thomas H. George wrote:

> About half way through the boot up the scripts changed back to the tiny
> fonts. There was a line saying consolechars can only load fonts with a
> height of 16, try installing setfont. Apt-get search found setfont in
> kbd-compat but apt-get install reported that the latest version of
> kbd-compat was already installed.
>
> What now?

Replace kbd-compat and console-tools by kbd, it is in my experience
*much* less buggy.

Sven

Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 8/5/2010 8:59 AM, Thomas H. George wrote:

I followed these instructions chosing the Terminus font and a character
height of 32 and then rebooted. The boot screen and initial scripts
were easy to read, actually larger than I need BUT

About half way through the boot up the scripts changed back to the tiny
fonts. There was a line saying consolechars can only load fonts with a
height of 16, try installing setfont. Apt-get search found setfont in
kbd-compat but apt-get install reported that the latest version of
kbd-compat was already installed.

What now?

Tom

Don't change the subject line unless you plan to change the topic.

sudo vim /boot/grub/menu.lst

Edit:
kernel /boot/blah-blah-kernel root=/my/device ro quiet splash

Add:
vga=HEX

Size 640x400 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1152x864 1280x1024 1600x1200
--------+--------------------------------------------------------------
8 bits | 0x300 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x161 0x307 0x31C
15 bits | ? 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x162 0x319 0x31D
16 bits | ? 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x163 0x31A 0x31E

In otherwords, changing the console resolution should solve your
problem. You just have to be careful because you could end up with
squishy text but it will be bigger.

Archive: 4C5AC6C4.4000509@envygeeks.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C5AC6C4.4000509@envygeeks.com

Old 08-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Anthony Campbell

On 05 Aug 2010, Thomas H. George wrote:

> I followed these instructions chosing the Terminus font and a character
> height of 32 and then rebooted. The boot screen and initial scripts
> were easy to read, actually larger than I need BUT
>
> About half way through the boot up the scripts changed back to the tiny
> fonts. There was a line saying consolechars can only load fonts with a
> height of 16, try installing setfont. Apt-get search found setfont in
> kbd-compat but apt-get install reported that the latest version of
> kbd-compat was already installed.
>
> What now?
>
> Tom

Isn't this the KMS issue? I solved it by editing
/etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf, as suggested by
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-radeon.

The change to tiny font half-way through booting was exactly the symptom
I had before doing the above.

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
http://www.acampbell.org.uk - sample my ebooks

Old 08-05-2010, 05:49 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Thu, Aug 05, 2010 at 09:12:20AM -0500, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 8/5/2010 8:59 AM, Thomas H. George wrote:
> >I followed these instructions chosing the Terminus font and a character
> >height of 32 and then rebooted. The boot screen and initial scripts
> >were easy to read, actually larger than I need BUT
> >
> >About half way through the boot up the scripts changed back to the tiny
> >fonts. There was a line saying consolechars can only load fonts with a
> >height of 16, try installing setfont. Apt-get search found setfont in
> >kbd-compat but apt-get install reported that the latest version of
> >kbd-compat was already installed.
> >
> >What now?
> >
> >Tom
>
> Don't change the subject line unless you plan to change the topic.
>
> sudo vim /boot/grub/menu.lst
>
> Edit:
> kernel /boot/blah-blah-kernel root=/my/device ro quiet splash
>
> Add:
> vga=HEX
>

> Size 640x400 640x480 800x600 1024x768 1152x864 1280x1024 1600x1200
> --------+--------------------------------------------------------------
> 8 bits | 0x300 0x301 0x303 0x305 0x161 0x307 0x31C
> 15 bits | ? 0x310 0x313 0x316 0x162 0x319 0x31D
> 16 bits | ? 0x311 0x314 0x317 0x163 0x31A 0x31E
>
> In otherwords, changing the console resolution should solve your
> problem. You just have to be careful because you could end up with
> squishy text but it will be bigger.

I don't understand grub's menu.lst. It begins with several entries
and the beginning of the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST and within this the
start of the default options list. Within this list is

#kopt=root=UUID=xxxx where xxxx is the UUID of the root partition which
was previously known as /dev/sdb1

The following entry is

groot=(hd0,0)

though at some point in the original setup I specified writing the MBR
to /dev/sda and to /dev/sdb. I had used lilo to write a different MBR
to /dev/hda. Subsequently grub failed to boot the system because it
could not find the root partition but lilo could still boot the system
and running update-grub corrected grub's problem.

After a number of additional default entries the end of the default
options list is reached. Following this is the entry

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.30-1-amd64
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.30-1-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1 ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30-1-amd64

followed by several more such entries for earlier kernels and then the
END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST. Since the current kernel and two
other recent kernels were not included in the above list I added

title Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash
vga=0x311

to the end of the file, saved the file, ran update-grub and rebooted.
The scripts still change to the tiny font in middle of the reboot.

Questions: Why are the newer kernels not included in the Automagic
listings? Is there a conflict between root (hd0,0) and root=/dev/sdb1?
Why does the system still switch to tiny fonts during bootup?
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64

Old 08-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2010-08-05 19:26 +0200, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> On 05 Aug 2010, Thomas H. George wrote:
>> >
>> I followed these instructions chosing the Terminus font and a character
>> height of 32 and then rebooted. The boot screen and initial scripts
>> were easy to read, actually larger than I need BUT
>>
>> About half way through the boot up the scripts changed back to the tiny
>> fonts. There was a line saying consolechars can only load fonts with a
>> height of 16, try installing setfont. Apt-get search found setfont in
>> kbd-compat but apt-get install reported that the latest version of
>> kbd-compat was already installed.
>>
>> What now?
>>
>> Tom
>>

> Isn't this the KMS issue? I solved it by editing
> /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf, as suggested by
> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-radeon.

This is not a solution but rather a workaround that may stop working at
some time in the future when xserver-xorg-video-radeon starts to
_require_ KMS. Beside, it already won't work for Nvidia cards if you
want to use the Nouveau X driver. So far, Thomas has not told anything
about his graphics card.

> The change to tiny font half-way through booting was exactly the symptom
> I had before doing the above.

The solution is to use a bigger font, as I had tried to explain.

Sven

Old 08-05-2010, 05:58 PM
Jordon Bedwell

On 8/5/2010 12:54 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
> The solution is to use a bigger font, as I had tried to explain.

Yes, that was your solution, until he explained (which you merrily
missed apparently) that even though he used your "fix" the font resets
back to a small size a little ways into the boot.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Javier Vasquez

On 8/5/10, Sven Joachim <svenjoac@gmx.de> wrote:
> On 2010-08-05 19:26 +0200, Anthony Campbell wrote:
>
>> On 05 Aug 2010, Thomas H. George wrote:
>>> >
>>> I followed these instructions chosing the Terminus font and a character
>>> height of 32 and then rebooted. The boot screen and initial scripts
>>> were easy to read, actually larger than I need BUT
>>>
>>> About half way through the boot up the scripts changed back to the tiny
>>> fonts. There was a line saying consolechars can only load fonts with a
>>> height of 16, try installing setfont. Apt-get search found setfont in
>>> kbd-compat but apt-get install reported that the latest version of
>>> kbd-compat was already installed.
>>>
>>> What now?
>>>
>>> Tom
>>>

>> Isn't this the KMS issue? I solved it by editing
>> /etc/modprobe.d/radeon-kms.conf, as suggested by
>> /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-radeon.
>
> This is not a solution but rather a workaround that may stop working at
> some time in the future when xserver-xorg-video-radeon starts to
> _require_ KMS. Beside, it already won't work for Nvidia cards if you
> want to use the Nouveau X driver. So far, Thomas has not told anything
> about his graphics card.
>
>> The change to tiny font half-way through booting was exactly the symptom
>> I had before doing the above.
>
> The solution is to use a bigger font, as I had tried to explain.
>
> Sven

That's right. Actually I always look for full resolution on console.
Before KMS, for some cards I had to load the corresponding module
through /etc/modules and for some of those, I also had to provide the
resolution parameters through /etc/modprobe.d/<card_module>.conf. KMS
seems to always look for full resolution, so I've removed the stuff
from modules and modprobe.conf. Notice some times uvesafb was the
only alternative to get required resolution, :-)

When you have bigger resolution on console, you need bigger fonts.
The recommendation Sven provided is the correct one (dpkg-reconfigure
console-setup). However console-tools doesn't handle some fonts sizes
for some particular fonts, and thus, the solution is just to use
original kbd instead (which seems to support more fonts sizes). This
has been required even before KMS showed up, unless you didn't care
about getting full/bigger resolution on console...

As an additional suggestion, I recommend using console-terminus (if
you want you can also try xfonts-terminus), so you select it as well
when running dpkg-reconfigure console-setup, :-)

--
Javier.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:10 PM
Javier Vasquez

On 8/5/10, Jordon Bedwell <jordon@envygeeks.com> wrote:
> On 8/5/2010 12:54 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:
>> The solution is to use a bigger font, as I had tried to explain.
>
> Yes, that was your solution, until he explained (which you merrily
> missed apparently) that even though he used your "fix" the font resets
> back to a small size a little ways into the boot.

It's not that you got small fonts back. It's that console-tools
doesn't support the combination of font and size you selected. A
message is prompted out of dpkg-reconfigure when that happens usually.
So using kbd instead of console-tools, and then running
dpkg-reconfigure agian, usually takes care of that problem.

--
Javier.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Tom H

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

> I don't understand grub's menu.lst. *It begins with several entries
> and the beginning of the AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST and within this the
> start of the default options list. *Within this list is
>
> #kopt=root=UUID=xxxx where xxxx is the UUID of the root partition which
> was previously known as /dev/sdb1
>
> The following entry is
> groot=(hd0,0)
>
> though at some point in the original setup I specified writing the MBR
> to /dev/sda and to /dev/sdb. *I had used lilo to write a different MBR
> to /dev/hda. *Subsequently grub failed to boot the system because it
> could not find the root partition but lilo could still boot the system
> and running update-grub corrected grub's problem.
>
> After a number of additional default entries the end of the default
> options list is reached. *Following this is the entry
>
> title * * * * * Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.30-1-amd64
> root * * * * * *(hd0,0)
> kernel */boot/vmlinuz-2.6.30-1-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1 ro
> initrd */boot/initrd.img-2.6.30-1-amd64
>
> followed by several more such entries for earlier kernels and then the
> END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST. *Since the current kernel and two
> other recent kernels were not included in the above list I added
>
> title * * * * * Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.32-5-amd64
> root * * * * * *(hd0,0)
> kernel */boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64 root=/dev/sdb1 ro quiet splash
> vga=0x311
>
> to the end of the file, saved the file, ran update-grub and rebooted.
> The scripts still change to the tiny font in middle of the reboot.
>
> Questions: Why are the newer kernels not included in the Automagic
> listings? *Is there a conflict between root (hd0,0) and root=/dev/sdb1?
> Why does the system still switch to tiny fonts during bootup?
> initrd */boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64

"kopt=..." defines the /boot where the automagic kernels are and the
options to give the kernel line for these kernels (sdb1, in your case)
and "groot=..." defines the /boot where /boot/grub is (that's why it
is (hdX,Y) and not (hdX) even though you've written grub's stage 1 to
the mbr).

Given that you installed grub to sda and sdb, you must have a raid
setup so mixing an sdb1 / and an sda1 /boot is weird but the new
kernels should be seen by update-grub; "should" is the operative
word...

I am curious though. Since you are running testing or unstable, could
it be that your bootloader is grub2 and that update-grub is updating
grub.cfg rather than menu.lst? That would also explain why "vga=0x311"
was ineffective.