Old 08-05-2010, 12:24 AM
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi

Default Software to handle bits and pieces of information.

Gary Roach wrote:

> Hi;
> I could use some suggestions. I seem to collect a lot of snippets of
> information scribbled on pieces of paper, old napkins, etc. Examples are
> notes on harware, sources for stuff, notes on possible projects, book
> that I might want to buy in the future and on and on. This has generated
> numerous scraps of paper and sticky notes with the result that chaos
> reigns. I recently tried knotes which helped a lot but didn't cover
> tasks. I have now switched to Kontact. This takes care of scheduling
> things, projects and short term notes. I still am not sure what to do
> about those notes that could be around for a long time like maybe a
> note on the "proton boron fusion reaction energy" . I may never use it
> but would like to be able to find the information if need be. I guess I
> need a repository for disparate information (how's that for fuzzy). I
> hope this makes some sense.
>
> Any suggestions.
>
> Gary R

I usually have a directory where I keep all the relevant "note" files. If
the information falls into a specific category (ex:- calendar based events,
todo stuff, where you stopped reading a particular book :-) etc.,) I'll
have a separate file.

If the information is a random tidbit (ex:- "Capital of Libya is Tripoli"
and for some weird reason you want to note that down :-)), I just use a
plain text file to jot it down. I normally have some conventions (ex: tags,
delimiters, content separators) within that file, so that I can write a
script to extract all the relevant information as and when needed (ex:-
give me all the tidbits related to Fortran language, all the research
papers written by a particular author). I guess you can use some database
query language if it becomes unmanageable... but I never had to go that
far.

It takes some time to set up this kind of stuff and come up with conventions
that work for your case. But I honestly believe that all you need is a good
editor like vim, grep and sometimes find. I am saying this after having
tried some GUI applications, applications where the information is stored
in a non-greppable format. YMMV.

hth
raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Wayne Topa

[...]

I use the zim package to keep notes on many subjects. I have never had
a problem with it and like it a lot.

HTH

Wayne

Archive: 4C5A09CE.6040606@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C5A09CE.6040606@gmail.com

Old 08-05-2010, 11:20 AM
Tom Ashley

> On 08/04/2010 02:13 PM, Gary Roach wrote:
> > Hi;
> > I could use some suggestions. I seem to collect a lot of snippets of
> > information scribbled on pieces of paper, old napkins, etc.
> > Examples are notes on harware, sources for stuff, notes on possible
> > projects, book that I might want to buy in the future and on and
> > on. This has generated numerous scraps of paper and sticky notes
> > with the result that chaos reigns. I recently tried knotes which
> > helped a lot but didn't cover tasks. I have now switched to
> > Kontact. This takes care of scheduling things, projects and short
> > term notes. I still am not sure what to do about those notes that
> > could be around for a long time like maybe a note on the "proton
> > boron fusion reaction energy" . I may never use it but would like
> > to be able to find the information if need be. I guess I need a
> > repository for disparate information (how's that for fuzzy). I hope
> > this makes some sense.
> >
> > Any suggestions.

I find Gnote useful for keeping notes and use Orage for scheduling tasks/events.

--
Tom Ashley

Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 PM

> I find Gnote useful for keeping notes and use Orage for
> scheduling tasks/events.

An (unusual) solution is to have a private wiki. You can store it on your own machine (I do so on my laptop) with a local server, or on a public server with correct management of access. This solution can have sense if you would access to your data from differents systems.

There are a lot of well-tried wikis with interessant features for that purpose: internal search, linking between documents (of course), index of all pages, categorying, tagging with keywords, listing of recent changes, calendar, storing of non-textual data (images, pdf...) and so.

I like it, because it's always a way to rediscover your stuff...

It's easy to start a new note, more often, you type the name of a new page between [[]].

Good questions for the choice of the candidate are:

- with or without a database ?
- in which format are the data encoded ? Are there still understandable (in plain text) if the application crashes or becomes unmaintained ?

I use Oddmuse, packaged for Debian, light, capricious but fun. Pmwiki and Mediawiki are also good candidates, but heavier.

Regards,

Gauthier

Old 08-05-2010, 06:00 PM
Gary Roach

Thanks for all of the responses. I thought that since they were so wide
ranging that a condensed list might be helpful to others. Obviously I'm
not the only one with the problem. In no particular order:
Run own (private, locked-down) Mediawiki installation - this
allows access where ever you are.

Kjots but prefers the zim program (personal wiki). Zim
outstanding especially in conjuction with iceowl. (2 hits)

Kontact good choice but needs tool to search inside all that
information. Unsure what tools available in KDE4. Akonadi+strigi+nepomuk
might do the job.

Tomboy used for this very purpose.

Use text files in a directory system with discriptive names.
Use a script program to search for hard to find stuff.

Gnote for keeping notes and Orage for scheduling tasks/events.

Email notes to self. You can search the email files.

Again thanks everyone. Seems I have a little research to do here.

Gary R.

Archive: 4C5AFC3A.5090604@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C5AFC3A.5090604@verizon.net

Old 08-05-2010, 07:02 PM
"ClŠudio E. Elicker"

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 11:13:35 -0700
Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi;
> I could use some suggestions. I seem to collect a lot of snippets of
> information scribbled on pieces of paper, old napkins, etc.

There is a nice comparison table of "outliners" in [1].
I like keepnote [2].

[1] http://marktaw.com/reviews/Outliners.html
[2] http://rasm.ods.org/keepnote

[]'s

Old 08-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Alan Chandler

[...]

I use a tiddlywiki on a usb stick. Take it with me everywhere.

http://www.tiddlywiki.com/

and note (and brainstorm with myself) with it lots.

With it being a self contained file that just needs a browser, it works
on almost everything I need it to (not found a way to access it my my
iPhone yet :-( )

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk