Old 08-04-2010, 11:12 PM
John Lindsay

Default phantom icon

I plugged my wife's sony ereader into my debian (lenny) machine USB
socket primarily to charge it up properly. I was very surprised when it
came up with the 'do you want to run the program' and actually mounted
the volume. I was able to look at the files but didn't do anything else.
I did forget to unmount the reader prior to removing it so now I have a
phantom icon called reader on my desktop. I cannot delete it.I cannot
move it to trash as it says I need to unmount it but catch 22 -- Short
of rebooting how can I get rid of the icon?

John

Archive: 4C59F3F1.1020708@sentex.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C59F3F1.1020708@sentex.net

Old 08-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 19:12:49 -0400, John Lindsay wrote:

> I plugged my wife's sony ereader into my debian (lenny) machine USB
> socket primarily to charge it up properly. I was very surprised when it
> came up with the 'do you want to run the program' and actually mounted
> the volume. I was able to look at the files but didn't do anything else.
> I did forget to unmount the reader prior to removing it so now I have a
> phantom icon called reader on my desktop. I cannot delete it.I cannot
> move it to trash as it says I need to unmount it but catch 22 -- Short
> of rebooting how can I get rid of the icon?

What does "mount" command say? Can you right-click on the icon and
perform any action (unmount/eject/safely remove)? Anythig in dmesg?

I would try to force unmounting or "ejecting" the device.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón