Old 08-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Gary Roach

Default Software to handle bits and pieces of information.

Hi;
I could use some suggestions. I seem to collect a lot of snippets of
information scribbled on pieces of paper, old napkins, etc. Examples are
notes on harware, sources for stuff, notes on possible projects, book
that I might want to buy in the future and on and on. This has generated
numerous scraps of paper and sticky notes with the result that chaos
reigns. I recently tried knotes which helped a lot but didn't cover
tasks. I have now switched to Kontact. This takes care of scheduling
things, projects and short term notes. I still am not sure what to do
about those notes that could be around for a long time like maybe a
note on the "proton boron fusion reaction energy" . I may never use it
but would like to be able to find the information if need be. I guess I
need a repository for disparate information (how's that for fuzzy). I
hope this makes some sense.

Any suggestions.

Gary R

Archive: 4C59ADCF.20304@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C59ADCF.20304@verizon.net

Old 08-04-2010, 07:34 PM
Tyler MacDonald

Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:
> of scheduling things, projects and short term notes. I still am not
> sure what to do about those notes that could be around for a long
> time like maybe a note on the "proton boron fusion reaction energy"
> . I may never use it but would like to be able to find the
> information if need be. I guess I need a repository for disparate
> information (how's that for fuzzy). I hope this makes some sense.

Gary,

For this sort of stuff, I used to run my own (private, locked-down)
MediaWiki installation. This had the advantage of allowing me to reference
my notes wherever I was. I let it lapse a little over a year ago and have
just been using text files in a folder, but I plan to move back to MediaWiki
soon.

I was also doing my calendaring, etc through MediaWiki (there's a nifty
calendar widget for it), although now that I've got an android smartphone
I'm just using Google Calendar for that stuff.

Cheers,
Tyler

Old 08-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Carl Johnson

Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> writes:

> Hi;
> I could use some suggestions. I seem to collect a lot of snippets of
> information scribbled on pieces of paper, old napkins, etc. Examples
> are notes on harware, sources for stuff, notes on possible projects,
> book that I might want to buy in the future and on and on. This has
> generated numerous scraps of paper and sticky notes with the result
> that chaos reigns. I recently tried knotes which helped a lot but
> didn't cover tasks. I have now switched to Kontact. This takes care of
> scheduling things, projects and short term notes. I still am not sure
> what to do about those notes that could be around for a long time like
> maybe a note on the "proton boron fusion reaction energy" . I may
> never use it but would like to be able to find the information if need
> be. I guess I need a repository for disparate information (how's that
> for fuzzy). I hope this makes some sense.

There is something called kjots in kde, but I prefer the zim program.
Zim is called a personal wiki and allows any number of pages with
pretty much any type of text or links on each. It also has searches,
a calendar, and todo items. It doesn't have any type of appointments
or automated reminders. Kjots seems more limited, but that might be
my lack of experience with it. Both have debian packages.

--
Carl Johnson carlj@peak.org

Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 04 Aug 2010 11:13:35 -0700, Gary Roach wrote:

> I could use some suggestions. I seem to collect a lot of snippets of
> information scribbled on pieces of paper, old napkins, etc. Examples are
> notes on harware, sources for stuff, notes on possible projects, book
> that I might want to buy in the future and on and on. This has generated
> numerous scraps of paper and sticky notes with the result that chaos
> reigns. I recently tried knotes which helped a lot but didn't cover
> tasks. I have now switched to Kontact. This takes care of scheduling
> things, projects and short term notes. I still am not sure what to do
> about those notes that could be around for a long time like maybe a
> note on the "proton boron fusion reaction energy" . I may never use it
> but would like to be able to find the information if need be. I guess I
> need a repository for disparate information (how's that for fuzzy). I
> hope this makes some sense.
>
> Any suggestions.

Kontact seems to be a good choice as it handles e-mail, tasks, simple
notes, to-do list and calendar cites. And is easy to manage.

I would add a desktop search tool for searching inside all that
information but on todays KDE4 SC framework I'm not sure what exact tool
to recommend. It seems Akonadi+strigi+nepomuk is able to make that job
but I'm unaware of its current status :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Gilbert Sullivan

[...]

I consider Zim to be a standout application among many favorites used
over a 30 year history of personal computing. I use it -- in conjunction
with Iceowl for appointments / reminders -- as an ad hoc project manager
which works surpassingly well for the type of disparate projects and
tasks I have to manage. Though it's still a little rough around the
edges, and you can tell that it's still fairly early in its development,
it supports equations (latex), GNU R plots, screenshots (scrot),
spell-checking (gtkspell), and version control (bzr). And it's a hoot to
use. It's actively developed, with a well-motivated primary developer
who responds quickly and helpfully to bug reports. (They use launchpad.)
For me it's just about a perfect combination of ease of use and
versatility for a work load that simply won't accommodate the use of a
more standard type of project management tool. I don't believe that I've
ever had to bother to use its manual.

Come to think of it, I ought to delve into the documentation. Who knows
what I might be missing?

Good luck in finding the right tool(s) for yourself. I know a lot about
"fuzzy" minds and vaguely defined tasks. It's what I do for a living!

;-)

Archive: 4C59D46B.3090001@comcast.net">http://lists.debian.org/4C59D46B.3090001@comcast.net

Old 08-04-2010, 08:58 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Wed, Aug 04, 2010 at 11:13:35AM -0700, Gary Roach wrote:
> Hi;
> I could use some suggestions. I seem to collect a lot of snippets of
> information scribbled on pieces of paper, old napkins, etc. Examples
> are notes on harware, sources for stuff, notes on possible projects,

I use Tomboy for this very purpose.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279