Old 08-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Carlos Mennens

Default Universally Change PS1 For All New Users

How can I force Debian to use a custom colored PS1 I have defined
under /root/.bashrc for all new users I create with 'useradd' or
'adduser'? Is there somewhere I can modify this like in /etc/profile?
Can someone just let me know what the correct process would be for Debian.

Thank you for any assistance!

Old 08-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Bob Proulx

Carlos Mennens wrote:
> How can I force Debian to use a custom colored PS1 I have defined
> under /root/.bashrc for all new users I create with 'useradd' or
> 'adduser'? Is there somewhere I can modify this like in /etc/profile?
> Can someone just let me know what the correct process would be for Debian.

The useradd (and the higher level friendlier adduser) commands use
/etc/skel/ for the templates. Files there are copied to the home
directory of the newly created user.

Bob

Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM
Brian Ryans

Quoting Carlos Mennens on 2010-08-04 11:40:33, in Message-Id
<AANLkTik7qPFj3Dr00LjDJ6PP0nTjdGG5LxwWM3ZmWrC6@mai l.gmail.com>

Sorry to necro the thread; was reading through my archives and found
this message just now

> How can I force Debian to use a custom colored PS1 I have defined
> under /root/.bashrc for all new users I create with 'useradd' or
> 'adduser'?

In /etc/profile:

# ---- cut here ----
[ $BASH ] && . /etc/bash.bashrc
PS1='foo $ '
# ---- cut here ----

With this method you can set PS1 to be compatible with POSIX-compliant
shells, but if the user happens to choose bash you've got the full range
of bash options available. The bash version is in /etc/bash.bashrc

Note that I have only tested this with [db]ash, not {c,k,pdk}sh.

--
_ Brian Ryans 8B2A 54C4 E275 8CFD 8A7D 5D0B 0AD0 B014 C112 13D0 .
( ) ICQ UIN: 43190205 | Mail/MSN/Jabber: BrianLRyans@gmail.com ..: