-   -   Tiny Console Fonts (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/408514-tiny-console-fonts.html)

Brian 08-04-2010 02:30 PM

Tiny Console Fonts

On Wed 04 Aug 2010 at 09:57:12 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> Is there a way change the console font size without changing the X
> windows resolution?

You could try the console-setup command (as root).

Sven Joachim 08-04-2010 02:36 PM

Tiny Console Fonts

On 2010-08-04 15:57 +0200, Thomas H. George wrote:

> After installing linux-image-2.6.32-5-amd64 the console fonts are so
> small I must use reading glasses to make them out. I have experimented
> with the consolechars -H 16 -d command but this just makes the characters
> brighter.
>
> I assume the problem may be the setting of the monitor resolution.

This is now done by the kernel for both Nvidia and Radeon cards, yes.
It uses the native resolution of your display which gives you a sharp
picture but also a small font by default.

> The
> monitor is 23" LCD monitor capable of 1920x1080 resolution. Indeed, the
> small font is very sharp when viewed with my reading glasses but I wish
> it was twice as large so I would not have to bother with the glases.

This should be easy to fix, fortunately.

> On the other hand, the font sizes and resolution in X windows is fine as
> it is.
>
> Is there a way change the console font size without changing the X
> windows resolution?

Make sure you have the console-setup and kbd packages installed and use

# dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

to choose a console font that suits your taste; it will be set up on
each boot. You can also use the setfont utility to change the font
temporarily. Fonts are in the /usr/share/consolefonts directory.

Sven

Brian 08-04-2010 02:52 PM

Tiny Console Fonts

On Wed 04 Aug 2010 at 15:30:36 +0100, Brian wrote:

> You could try the console-setup command (as root).

This is misleading. It's 'dpkg-reconfigure console-setup' as
Sven Joachim says.