Old 08-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Lisi

Default Trinity KDE 3.5.11 was How to use two displaies

On Wednesday 04 August 2010 11:02:52 Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> Trinity KDE 3.5.11 [snip] User

How are you getting on with it? Does it have full functionality in Ubuntu?

I am watching with interest. I am hoping that, by the time that I have to
abandom Lenny, Trinity will have a deb. that I can use in Squeeze.

Lisi

Old 08-04-2010, 01:41 PM
Lisi

On Wednesday 04 August 2010 14:34:00 Lisi wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 August 2010 11:02:52 Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> > Trinity KDE 3.5.11 [snip] User
>
> How are you getting on with it? Does it have full functionality in Ubuntu?
>
> I am watching with interest. I am hoping that, by the time that I have to
> abandom Lenny, Trinity will have a deb. that I can use in Squeeze.

I see that .debs for Debian are well on the way, but have been held up by the
massive blowout at Pearson Computing. :-(

Lisi

Old 08-04-2010, 05:47 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 14:41 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 August 2010 14:34:00 Lisi wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 August 2010 11:02:52 Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> > > Trinity KDE 3.5.11 [snip] User
> >
> > How are you getting on with it? Does it have full functionality in Ubuntu?
> >
> > I am watching with interest. I am hoping that, by the time that I have to
> > abandom Lenny, Trinity will have a deb. that I can use in Squeeze.
>
> I see that .debs for Debian are well on the way, but have been held up by the
> massive blowout at Pearson Computing. :-(
>
> Lisi

Indeed - I am experimenting with Trinity on Lenny as a Debian repository
and full replacement for KDE3. It is mostly working well. Kontact is
largely fixed and 95% working with Zimbra. There are a few glitches
that I suspect will be quickly remedied as soon as Pearson Computing's
build farm comes back on line but I think we will have a Debian KDE3
option relatively soon - John

Old 08-04-2010, 07:02 PM
Lisi

On Wednesday 04 August 2010 18:47:04 John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 14:41 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > >
> > > How are you getting on with it? Does it have full functionality in
> > > Ubuntu?
> > >
> > > I am watching with interest. I am hoping that, by the time that I have
> > > to abandon Lenny, Trinity will have a deb. that I can use in Squeeze.
> >
> > I see that .debs for Debian are well on the way, but have been held up by
> > the massive blowout at Pearson Computing. :-(
> >
> > Lisi
>
> Indeed - I am experimenting with Trinity on Lenny as a Debian repository
> and full replacement for KDE3. It is mostly working well. Kontact is
> largely fixed and 95% working with Zimbra. There are a few glitches
> that I suspect will be quickly remedied as soon as Pearson Computing's
> build farm comes back on line but I think we will have a Debian KDE3
> option relatively soon - John

Am I allowed to say yippee? o/ o/ :-))

I wish I could be of some use in this. As it is, all I can do is cheer on
those of you who are doing the work!

If I am wrong, and there _is_ something I could do, please say. :-)

Lisi

Old 08-04-2010, 07:55 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 20:02 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 August 2010 18:47:04 John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> > > I see that .debs for Debian are well on the way, but have been held up by
> > > the massive blowout at Pearson Computing. :-(
> > >
> > > Lisi
> >
> > Indeed - I am experimenting with Trinity on Lenny as a Debian repository
> > and full replacement for KDE3. It is mostly working well. Kontact is
> > largely fixed and 95% working with Zimbra. There are a few glitches
> > that I suspect will be quickly remedied as soon as Pearson Computing's
> > build farm comes back on line but I think we will have a Debian KDE3
> > option relatively soon - John
>
> Am I allowed to say yippee? o/ o/ :-))
>
> I wish I could be of some use in this. As it is, all I can do is cheer on
> those of you who are doing the work!
>
> If I am wrong, and there _is_ something I could do, please say. :-)
>
> Lisi

You certainly can :-))

Regarding how to help - that would be a good question to ask Tim Pearson
(http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/). I'm sure he could use any
financial help no matter how small to pay for the extensive damage they
sustained. I'm also pretty certain they can use help testing the Debian
repository to work out any quirks in the port from Ubuntu. And, of
course, keep spreading the word - John

PS - if anyone know why beagle would provoke a d-buss not accessible
error (cannot run with parameter --icon when session dbus is not
available), that would help as it is one of the small remaining items on
the punch list - John

Old 08-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Lisi

On Wednesday 04 August 2010 20:55:07 John A. Sullivan III wrote:
> Regarding how to help - that would be a good question to ask Tim Pearson
> (http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/). *

I already have - he hasn't so far contacted me.

> I'm sure he could use any
> financial help no matter how small to pay for the extensive damage they
> sustained.

Again, I already have previously - and would have done immediately earlier
this evening, but I need to research how to use the link he provided. I
shall do so as soon as I have sent this.

> I'm also pretty certain they can use help testing the Debian
> repository to work out any quirks in the port from Ubuntu.

The question is whether I could do enough to be helpful - I am not very
knowledgeable/skillful. But I am certainly willing.

> And, of
> course, keep spreading the word - John

That I do too! Whenever and wherever I can.

Lisi

Old 08-05-2010, 01:15 AM
Jimmy Johnson

Lisi wrote:

On Wednesday 04 August 2010 11:02:52 Jimmy Johnson wrote:

Trinity KDE 3.5.11 [snip] User

How are you getting on with it? Does it have full functionality in Ubuntu?

I am watching with interest. I am hoping that, by the time that I have to
abandom Lenny, Trinity will have a deb. that I can use in Squeeze.

I hope Guo don't mind us hijacking his tread? :-P

I've been running it about 3 months now and it's the best kde3 out
there, both Mepis and Lenny have transparent panel problems that have
been fixed trinity, I did have couple icon problems on the
quicklauncher, reloading the icons in the menu fixed that problem, a
little background, as a Linux tester I was at the kde4 lunch/party in
Santa Clara and have been running kde4 since and personally I think it's
a pain in the ass, I run dual display and I never know where a new
window will pop up and if I resize a window and grab it and move it the
window will jump to maximized, I then have resize it and right click on
the application in the tray and choose move to put the window where I
want it, kde4 is just an irritating desktop manager to use, nothing
seems irritating about trinity kde3, plus I'm running it on 8.04 LTS,
just seems to be a rock solid system, I too wish trinity was ported for
Debian, I've been a Debian user for over eight years, but anything
Debian is better than something else.

I also have installs of Fedora, Mandriva and Suse, plus some other
systems, I like to see what the other guy is doing, as a matter of fact
if someone afraid of Linux but wanted to give it a try, there's an XP
clone that looks just like windows called "Ylmf_OS_3.0" it looks and
feels like windows with the best configured Gnome desktop I've ever
seen, it's also a ubuntu clone.

Anyways, yes, Trinity is a good thing. :-)
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu Lucid and Trinity KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263

Archive: 4C5A10B3.9010503@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C5A10B3.9010503@gmail.com

Old 08-05-2010, 01:23 AM
Jimmy Johnson

John A. Sullivan III wrote:

[...]

Thanks John, the last time I looked I didn't see a port for Debian, I'm
off to find the repos, if you have a link please post it. :-)

--

Archive: 4C5A128E.4070101@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C5A128E.4070101@gmail.com

Old 08-05-2010, 11:23 AM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Wed, 2010-08-04 at 18:23 -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> John A. Sullivan III wrote:

> >> I see that .debs for Debian are well on the way, but have been held up by the
> >> massive blowout at Pearson Computing. :-(
>

> > Indeed - I am experimenting with Trinity on Lenny as a Debian repository
> > and full replacement for KDE3. It is mostly working well. Kontact is
> > largely fixed and 95% working with Zimbra. There are a few glitches
> > that I suspect will be quickly remedied as soon as Pearson Computing's
> > build farm comes back on line but I think we will have a Debian KDE3
> > option relatively soon - John
>

> Thanks John, the last time I looked I didn't see a port for Debian, I'm
> off to find the repos, if you have a link please post it. :-)
Sure - here is a note from Tim Pearson:

Trinity is already compiled for Debian Lenny, so why not give it a
shot? ;-) Here is the package list with buildlogs/status/etc.:
https://quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/~trinity/+archive/trinity

If you want to use the repository, just add these lines to your
sources.list file:
deb
http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/trinity/trinity-builddeps/ubuntu lenny main
deb-src
http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/trinity/trinity-builddeps/ubuntu lenny main
deb http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/trinity/trinity/ubuntu
lenny main
deb-src
http://ppa.quickbuild.pearsoncomputing.net/trinity/trinity/ubuntu lenny
main

I believe the repositories are currently down while he awaits the last
of the replacements for the fired power conditioning system.

It does honor any KDEDIRS and XDG_DATA_DIRS settings for users operating
in Kiosk mode like we are.

Another note from Tim:
If you install KDE3 and Trinity side-by-side, remember to select Trinity
from the Sessions menu in KDM before logging in, otherwise you will get
a stock KDE3 session.

For those not using KDM (e.g., we do not in our X2Go environment-
another great project - http://www.x2go.org), simply point
at /opt/trinity/bin/startkde instead of /usr/bin/startkde The start
script will handle the rest.

To enable side by side installations, Trinity stores everything
in /opt/trinity. It also stores user configuration in ~/.trinity
instead of ~/.kde so, if you want to maintain your configuration, you
will need to copy the .kde contents into .trinity.

In my case, I had to do an apt-get -f in order to properly pull in the
builddeps - I believe the various kdelibs packages. That could be
because of our someone unusual vserver/x2go environment.

Hope this helps and, again, Tim seems to be putting in countless hours
and lots of personal funds to do this and can use all the good help he
can get (I assume) - John

Old 08-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Jimmy Johnson

Except for http://www.x2go.org I'm getting 404 on all the trinity links. :-(