Old 08-04-2010, 09:52 AM
Guo Jiahua

Default How to use two displaies

I have a laptop, with a VGA interface.
I connected a extra display to my laptop, but it shows nothing, the state of it is "NO SIGNAL".
I wander how to config to use the two displaies, one of my laptop, one extra.

THX

Old 08-04-2010, 10:02 AM
Jimmy Johnson

Guo Jiahua wrote:

I have a laptop, with a VGA interface.
I connected a extra display to my laptop, but it shows nothing, the state of it is "NO SIGNAL".
I wander how to config to use the two displaies, one of my laptop, one extra.

On a laptop the display is normally controlled by the "function key" on
the laptop or "fn" key + F key "that will have a monitor image on the F
key".

--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu Lucid and Trinity KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263

Archive: 4C593ACC.4040209@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4C593ACC.4040209@gmail.com

Old 08-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Mirco Piccin

Hi

I connected a extra display to my laptop, but it shows nothing, the state of it is "NO SIGNAL".

I wander how to config to use the two displaies, one of my laptop, one extra.

On a laptop the display is normally controlled by the "function key" on the laptop or "fn" key + F key "that will have a monitor image on the F key".

...or you can use the xrandr utility, that allows more flexibility.

There's also a gui : grandr.

Regards

Old 08-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Brian

On Wed 04 Aug 2010 at 17:52:48 +0800, Guo Jiahua wrote:

> I have a laptop, with a VGA interface.
> I connected a extra display to my laptop, but it shows nothing,
> the state of it is "NO SIGNAL".
> I wander how to config to use the two displaies, one of my
> laptop, one extra.

If "fn" key + F key works for you, well and good. If not please
post the output of the command 'xrandr' with the extra display
connected. After a reboot is probably best.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 AM
James Brown

Mirco Piccin wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Jimmy Johnson <field.engineer@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Guo Jiahua wrote:
>>
>>> I have a laptop, with a VGA interface.
>>> I connected a extra display to my laptop, but it shows nothing, the state
>>> of it is "NO SIGNAL".
>>> I wander how to config to use the two displaies, one of my laptop, one
>>> extra.
>>>

>> On a laptop the display is normally controlled by the "function key" on the
>> laptop or "fn" key + F key "that will have a monitor image on the F key".
>>

> ...or you can use the xrandr utility, that allows more flexibility.
> There's also a gui : grandr.
>
> Regards

Could that utilities make such the output of one open virtual display
streams to one monitor and the output of another - to another one?