Old 08-03-2010, 08:35 PM

Default Debian startup help

Hi,

I have a question regarding the startup of Debian Linux.

I am working on a embedded processor called TS-7800. It has debian linux
installed on the hardware.

I wanted to include some of own scripts during the startup. So, I began
with smaller statements(like echo, printf etc..) just for testing purposes.

In the process of testing, I created a script file as below:
/my_script.sh

contents of this file was only:
--------------------------
(
echo "Hello World"
) > $CONSOLE
--------------------------
This executed fine. But I wanted to read a user input so I changed it to:
--------------------------
(
echo "Hello World"
read letter
echo $letter
) > $CONSOLE
--------------------------
Then with no intention of mine, somehow, the "$" symbol from the "echo
$letter" statement got ommitted.
Now the script reads:
--------------------------
(
echo "Hello World"
read letter
echo letter
) > $CONSOLE
--------------------------

Now during the startup, it is stuck at displaying the "letter" word
infinitely.
I am not able to reach the prompt at all. It is stuck in the booting mode
indefinitely.

Can you please help me with this? I am really close to be done with my
project and I cant take the risk of not being able to use my code.

Thanks again for all your help.
-
Varun Ramesh
Research Assistant,
Civil Engineering Dept,
University of Minnesota,
Twin Cities

Archive: Gophermail.2.0.1008031535090.2935@vs-w.tc.umn.edu">http://lists.debian.org/Gophermail.2.0.1008031535090.2935@vs-w.tc.umn.edu

Old 08-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 15:35:09 -0500, rame0065 wrote:

(...)

> Now during the startup, it is stuck at displaying the "letter" word
> infinitely.
> I am not able to reach the prompt at all. It is stuck in the booting
> mode indefinitely.

I don't know how that embedded mainboard works, but if you messed the on-
board flash memmory, there must be a jumper/switch to reset the board
into factory mode/setup or just to allow booting from MMC/SD card and
work from there :-?

Refer to the board manual.

Greetings,

--