Old 08-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Andre Majorel

Default Stubborn USB card reader

I'm having trouble reading Compact flash and SD cards on the
same card reader. I'm not absolutely certain but it *seems* that
once a medium of either type has been inserted, it will ignore
the other type.

Wherever the state is kept, it's not in the module. modprobe -r
usb-storage; modprobe usb-storage gives a kernel message about
"compact flash" even though the only medium in the reader is an
SD card.

Is there a secret /{proc|sys} spell to make it work ?

Thanks in advance.

--
André Majorel <http://www.teaser.fr/~amajorel/>
If the Debian project published their users' email addresses,

Old 08-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 19:26:22 +0200, Andre Majorel wrote:

> I'm having trouble reading Compact flash and SD cards on the same card
> reader. I'm not absolutely certain but it *seems* that once a medium of
> either type has been inserted, it will ignore the other type.
>
> Wherever the state is kept, it's not in the module. modprobe -r
> usb-storage; modprobe usb-storage gives a kernel message about "compact
> flash" even though the only medium in the reader is an SD card.
>
> Is there a secret /{proc|sys} spell to make it work ?

Have you tested the "unsophisticated" path? Re-plug the USB card reader
with the desired medium on it. Then issue "mount" to check what
multimedia card is being mounted/detected and where.

Also, restarting "udev" service (or simulate with "udevtest") may also
help here :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Bob Proulx

Andre Majorel wrote:
> I'm having trouble reading Compact flash and SD cards on the
> same card reader. I'm not absolutely certain but it *seems* that
> once a medium of either type has been inserted, it will ignore
> the other type.
>
> Wherever the state is kept, it's not in the module. modprobe -r
> usb-storage; modprobe usb-storage gives a kernel message about
> "compact flash" even though the only medium in the reader is an
> SD card.
>
> Is there a secret /{proc|sys} spell to make it work ?

Before inserting the media look at the kernel partition table to see
what is already present.

$ cat /proc/partitions

While inserting your media watch the syslog.

$ tail -f /var/log/syslog

Look to see what it says about the device when it is inserted. After
the device is installed and settled look at the kernel partition table
again to see if the kernel has recognized the partition table.

$ cat /proc/partitions

I think it likely that different media with different partition tables
are presenting different partitions and confusing things. Such as
/dev/sda versus /dev/sda1 versus /dev/sda5 or other such differences.

Bob