Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM
hadi motamedi

Default how to dual boot debian with redhat?

Dear AllOn my debian machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions and so make it dual boot . Can you please let me know how this can be accomplished?Thank you

Old 08-03-2010, 11:53 AM
hadi motamedi

Dear AllOn my ubuntu machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions and so make it dual boot . Can you please let me know how this can be accomplished?
Thank you

Old 08-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Maurice McCarthy

On 3 August 2010 12:53, hadi motamedi <motamedi24@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> On my ubuntu machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions and
> so make it dual boot . Can you please let me know how this can be
> accomplished?
> Thank you

Install from CD to your chosen partition.
Put the redhat bootloader into the partition boot record and /not/ the
master boot record.
Reboot into Ubuntu and run

$ sudo update-grub

It will find Redhat and put it into the boot choices for you.

--
Best Wishes

Old 08-03-2010, 01:25 PM
Joao Ferreira gmail

On Tue, 2010-08-03 at 16:22 +0430, hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> On my debian machine, I need to install redhat on one of its
> partitions and so make it dual boot . Can you please let me know how
> this can be accomplished?

Hello,

the process should be quite straightforward.

1st u need to make sure you have a free partition with no relevant data
on it (partition to instal RH).

then you simply start installing RedHat on the machine and (this is the
critical part) make absolutelly sure you tell the installer to choose
the correct partition (the partition you choose for RH will be formated
and any data in it will be lost).

in the end you can choose to instal the bootloader (GRUB possibly) and
it will detect you have Debian too and do all the magic for you. grub
usually does a very good job finding you other operatin systems and
automagically configuring the dual-boot...

It's usually a very simple process with no expert knowledge involved.

Just make sure you know exactly which is the partition that is empty
when the RH installer asks you to format the disk. you need to be 100%
sure of this. If you're not just power off the machine.

also make sure GRUB (or LILO, I0'm not sure) is installed in the end.
The normal installation process should probably do this for you. Just
read the messages. there should be no problem.

But... just in case... make a backup of all you important stuff in
Debian.

Cheers
jmf

Old 08-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Greg Madden

On Tuesday 03 August 2010 03:52:19 hadi motamedi wrote:
> Dear All
> On my debian machine, I need to install redhat on one of its partitions and
> so make it dual boot . Can you please let me know how this can be
> accomplished?
> Thank you

If you have the resources, I prefer using a VM, Virtualbox, KVM ...

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 08-03-2010, 03:42 PM