-   -   failing to mount usb flash drives (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/407483-failing-mount-usb-flash-drives.html)

"Michael P. Soulier" 08-02-2010 03:08 PM

failing to mount usb flash drives

Hi,

I'm running Lenny, and I have no problem mounting my WD external harddrive,
and using my ASUS USB-N13 wireless NIC.

Still, when I put a couple of my flash drives into a usb slot, very little
happens.

[1183228.208121] hub 4-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4
[1183228.448050] usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address
113
[1183243.540193] hub 4-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4
[1183243.780056] usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address
114
[1183258.872065] hub 4-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4

So, unable to enumerate would be an indication of a problem then?

My other usb devices are working fine.

msoulier@anton:/home/msoulier$ lsmod | grep usb
usb_storage 77120 1
scsi_mod 129548 3 sd_mod,usb_storage,libata
usbcore 118224 5 rt3070sta,usb_storage,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

Any ideas as to what would cause this?

Thanks,
Mike
--
Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@digitaltorque.ca>
--Albert Einstein

Camaleón 08-02-2010 03:44 PM

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 11:08:35 -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

> I'm running Lenny, and I have no problem mounting my WD external
> harddrive, and using my ASUS USB-N13 wireless NIC.
>
> Still, when I put a couple of my flash drives into a usb slot, very
> little happens.
>
> [1183228.208121] hub 4-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4
> [1183228.448050] usb 4-4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and
> address 113

(...)

Have you discarded a bad flash unit/hardware error? I mean, does it work/
is it recognized when you plug it into another computer?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh 08-02-2010 03:51 PM

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> Still, when I put a couple of my flash drives into a usb slot, very little
> happens.
>
> [1183228.208121] hub 4-0:1.0: unable to enumerate USB device on port 4

Bad cable, bad/crappy USB hub, bad device, or fried USB port. Note that if
it is not an USB port directly soldered to the motherboard, it *has* a cable
inside the chassis.

> So, unable to enumerate would be an indication of a problem then?

Yes. And since the rest of the devices can be enumerated, it is unlikely
that it is caused by a kernel bug, so we assume it is a hardware problem.

Do check if it is an USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 devices, and check that the other
devices that DO work are also of the same type (USB 1.1 or 2.0).

Henrique Holschuh

"Michael P. Soulier" 08-02-2010 07:50 PM

On 02/08/10 Camaleón said:

> Have you discarded a bad flash unit/hardware error? I mean, does it work/
> is it recognized when you plug it into another computer?

I've tried several, all of which work just fine on other linux systems and
windows systems.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with my wireless usb nic.

Mike

"Michael P. Soulier" 08-02-2010 08:01 PM

On 02/08/10 Henrique de Moraes Holschuh said:

> Bad cable, bad/crappy USB hub, bad device, or fried USB port. Note that if
> it is not an USB port directly soldered to the motherboard, it *has* a cable
> inside the chassis.

My NIC is working off of a port on the same cable as the one that isn't
working, and I tried one off the back of the tower which is right off of the
motherboard.

> Yes. And since the rest of the devices can be enumerated, it is unlikely
> that it is caused by a kernel bug, so we assume it is a hardware problem.
>
> Do check if it is an USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 devices, and check that the other
> devices that DO work are also of the same type (USB 1.1 or 2.0).

I will do some testing and get back to this thread.

Mike

Camaleón 08-02-2010 09:12 PM

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 15:50:58 -0400, Michael P. Soulier wrote:

> On 02/08/10 Camaleón said:
>
>> Have you discarded a bad flash unit/hardware error? I mean, does it
>> work/ is it recognized when you plug it into another computer?
>
> I've tried several, all of which work just fine on other linux systems
> and windows systems.

O.k., so maybe the USB port could have been damaged somehow. Have you
tried to attach the flash drive into another USB port? For example, in
one of the ports that you know is already working for other devices.

Also, to discard a hardware issue, you can load a LiveCD of your choice
(better try with any recent linux distribution) and see if it is working
there.

> I'm wondering if it has something to do with my wireless usb nic.

I fail see any link with this issue. In what way do you think the wifi
USB dongle can be interering with a proper detection of a mass storage
device? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

"Michael P. Soulier" 08-02-2010 11:29 PM

On 02/08/10 Michael P. Soulier said:

> I will do some testing and get back to this thread.

Oddly, a reboot fixed the issue. The usb drives mount fine and my network is
still working. Perhaps the hardware got into some odd state.

If I happens again I'll do further experimentation.

Thanks,
Mike

Nate Bargmann 08-05-2010 11:19 AM

* On 2010 02 Aug 10:23 -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Lenny, and I have no problem mounting my WD external harddrive,
> and using my ASUS USB-N13 wireless NIC.
>
> Still, when I put a couple of my flash drives into a usb slot, very little
> happens.

I've been seeing something similar over the past couple of months on my
Sid box. I also found that issuing the `lsusb' command seems to "wake
up" the system in some way and KDE's Device Notifier will become active
and I can mount the flash drive. I've also noticed that I need to do
the same for a USB-serial converter to be recognized. Hoever, any
devices plugged in upon system start are recognized.

- Nate >>

"Michael P. Soulier" 08-06-2010 01:11 AM

On 05/08/10 Nate Bargmann said:

> I've been seeing something similar over the past couple of months on my
> Sid box. I also found that issuing the `lsusb' command seems to "wake
> up" the system in some way and KDE's Device Notifier will become active
> and I can mount the flash drive. I've also noticed that I need to do
> the same for a USB-serial converter to be recognized. Hoever, any
> devices plugged in upon system start are recognized.

lsusb didn't help me at all. I looked for my symptoms via google and found
many running Ubuntu finding the issue, but no real resolution.

Maybe my issue is flakey hardware. Only time will tell.

Mike

Nate Bargmann 08-06-2010 01:33 AM

* On 2010 05 Aug 20:12 -0500, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
> On 05/08/10 Nate Bargmann said:
>
> > I've been seeing something similar over the past couple of months on my
> > Sid box. I also found that issuing the `lsusb' command seems to "wake
> > up" the system in some way and KDE's Device Notifier will become active
> > and I can mount the flash drive. I've also noticed that I need to do
> > the same for a USB-serial converter to be recognized. Hoever, any
> > devices plugged in upon system start are recognized.
>
> lsusb didn't help me at all. I looked for my symptoms via google and found
> many running Ubuntu finding the issue, but no real resolution.
>
> Maybe my issue is flakey hardware. Only time will tell.

It may well be my problem as well. I have enough live CDs and a couple
of bootable flash drives to get an idea one way or the other.

- Nate >>